Another Critique of Cave Story

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hello,

I want to go ahead and start by saying that this game was a lot of fun.
I thouroughly enjoyed the controls, and the leveling up of health and weapons.
The story was engaging, and I shamelessly stayed up till almost four in the morning, nursing a beer, while I played through the game.
The boss battles were hard, but they weren't impossible, and I felt like I truly accomplished something when I got past them.

All in all, I loved this game, and I am so happy that the creator took the time and effort to create this, with little-to-no payback.

I only had one problem with the game: as you're playing through the desert level, Quote meets his robot partner, and the battle! After this battle scene, you are allowed to go through the main area of the "Club" into said partner's room. Here you can find a secret object, hidden in the corner of the map: her underwear. I found that just that one object had a hugely negative impact on the playability of the game for me. I could see that there was a possible romance being spun between Quote and his partner, but the game did not need to add in the option of finding her underwear. The story didn't need it, it didn't need to be an easter egg, and it just seems to be somewhat perverse.

I feel like women characters get the short end of the stick in a lot of video games: they almost always have big breasts, and they almost always wear revealing clothing; they ususally have a "damsell in a distress" quality to them. They could be the roughest, toughest, killers, but they either do it with skin tight clothing, or a "black widow", sexy spin. I don't think women are ever portrayed in un-stereotypical personas, and I most certainly think that if a women isn't falling for a man within a video game, she's either tempting them, or she's attracted to women (and this fact is more often than not a joke).

This happens with men too: most male characters in video games are rough and tough (I read a story a little while ago about this, fascinating!), cold blooded killers, and they're ripped as hell. How many guys actually look like that (case in point, the movie 300).

My point is that I don't think I'll play Cave Story again. It is a fabulous game- simple, addicting, nearly flawless- but I think that women have more to offer than their bodies, or their undergarments.

Thank you

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't see how finding curly's panties would ruin this game for you. Specifically, you go on about how women get the short end of the stick in video games, but then you don't connect that to your main point of the panties. How is finding her panties (which are very well hidden) giving her the short end of the stick? At best it implies that maybe quote is a pervert.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I don't think Pixel ever intended for Curly to be the stereotype you described, and I think you're unfairly using that one minor detail to describe her entire character. I understand if someone would be a little unsettled after finding the Panties, but I also hope that they could understand it was a mere joke. I honestly think you're taking it a bit far.

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Um...I think you're blowing this a little bit out of proportion.

I'm sorry to hear that the Easter Egg dampened your enjoyment of the game, but personally I don't think its inclusion portrays Curly in a negative light in any way. She isn't really your standard issue "damsel in distress", since the first time you carry her out of the Core room, she's unconscious because she saved you. When you give her Ma Pignon, it's because she lost memory thanks to Ironhead causing you to lose her. And her mini-coma at Sacred Ground was caused by unknown reasons that were likely beyond her control.

Basically, she spends most of the story being an overly-optimistic badass who definitely knows how to take care of herself(kinda), fighting back when you unintentionally barge in to her house , and even helping you out in battle during labyrinth/Core and Sacred Grounds (she's super useful in the latter especially).

Her design isn't really meant to tantalize, either. She doesn't have much in terms of assets, and her clothing isn't really too revealing. Likewise, she doesn't have a flirty personality or a "sexy" flair, and in fact she more closely resembles an average, spunky girl than some sort of supersexualized black leather assassinette. And those last three things you mentioned don't apply to Curly, either. In fact, despite your claim of a possible romance, there really isn't any sort of hint at all that they're even remotely interested in each other romantically. At best, they're close friends and partners, according to the game. Sure, they make the cutest couple evar, but that's just fancanon, it's really up to the viewer whether they're shipped or not. :3

As for women NEVER being portrayed unstereotypically...well, that's just sort of a gross generalization. I agree it's a big fat problem, but fairer portrayals and more realistic women in videogames and other media are becoming much more common in recent times, and even way back when, there were always at least a few things that didn't have over-sexualized women.

As for the stereotypes of men...well, that's not really relevant at all, but whatever. Just look at Quote, our main character. He's inquisitive and well-meaning, doesn't really kill anything in cold blood, and is lean and shortish. I think you're thinking more of Rambo.

And of course, although I find it sad that you won't be picking Cave Story back up again, your last statement is true, and you're at least better than James Raynor, so...yeah.

I hope you didn't take any part of this post the wrong way...

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Since we do not live in a world where history is deleted, there will always be resentment, and unhappiness at things that have hurt someone at some point. We judge based on our life experience, but another person removed from your events may have a completely different interpetation due to different life experience.

It is unfortunate that you find it to be insulting... I'm sure whatever innuendo Pixel had in mind was supposed to be harmless; as it does not change the story at all. And I'm pretty sure Pixel never intended his game to be played by such a wide audience / foreign audience, or imagined it would have been so successful.

If you are playing the retail version, then you are entitled to voicing that complaint. But, the original version was fan-translated into english; without the intention of a foreign audience (yes?).

Oh and one last point, in the retail version (wii / CS+), I believe the panties do serve a purpose unless it has changed :
As for Curly Story, you need to find Curly's Panties; check the house where you first meet her in Sand Zone, and go in the Save Room. Check the walls, and one of them you can actually slip through (it shows up on the map reader) and you will find a hidden treasure chest in here that you can open for Curly's Panties (this is the option underneath Story Mode).
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it despite that! xD

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I found that just that one object had a hugely negative impact on the playability of the game for me. I could see that there was a possible romance being spun between Quote and his partner, but the game did not need to add in the option of finding her underwear. The story didn't need it, it didn't need to be an easter egg, and it just seems to be somewhat perverse.
Think he knows about Chaco's lipstick yet?

I don't think women are ever portrayed in un-stereotypical personas, and I most certainly think that if a women isn't falling for a man within a video game, she's either tempting them, or she's attracted to women (and this fact is more often than not a joke).
Well that's not very fair. You're saying that if the character is portrayed as stereotypical, but isn't falling for one of the men, she has to be a lesbian?

This happens with men too: most male characters in video games are rough and tough (I read a story a little while ago about this, fascinating!), cold blooded killers, and they're ripped as hell. How many guys actually look like that (case in point, the movie 300).
Uh. Have you actually studied the Spartans? 300 was pretty DAMN accurate. If they considered their babies deformed or weak in any manner, they were brought before the Elders. If the Elders disapproved, the baby was left out in the wilderness, to be torn apart by any creatures that came upon it. Children were taken from their mothers at age 7 to be trained as soldiers, as the mother's influence was thought detrimental. The older children were SUPPOSED to be beat the younger ones up, in order to toughen them. When they reached age 18, they were required to take part in a rite of passage called the krypteia. They were sent into the jungle with only a knife, and were told to kill as many of the helots, or slaves of the spartans, as they could. Their only goal besides that was to make it back out alive. Spartans were fugging BADASSES.

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Not all women in games are treated as objects of sexuality. For example, Samus Aran, unlike most gaming women, is tough. I mean she wiped out an entire race of parasites, took on space pirates, and even held her ground against rival bounty hunters(then again, there's also her zero suit form, but y'know what I mean).

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
A bit wierd why you'd pick Cave Story for applying gender roles, when there are games that do way worse out there. Curly is very similar to Quote, they save eachother at least once so she's not really a damsel.

This isn't just in video games, it's allmost in every form of media. And the thing is that we just relate better to beautiful people, i'm sure nobody's waiting for a brooding angst-ridden film starring an obese acne-scarred manchild. It's a cruel fact, but it's true. In fact, we even think of beautiful people as more competent and good-natured over ugly people on a subconsious level, the effect in question is called the Halo Effect(unrelated to the game halo).
Finding a significant partner in life is seen as an important part of growing up, i think... Might also be because singles are kinda stigmatized in society.

On the bright side, i'm sure the Sisters of Battle from Warhammer 40k is an exception. (Allthough it's a tabletop game)

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ElecMaw said:
i'm sure nobody's waiting for a brooding angst-ridden film starring an obese acne-scarred manchild.
but it would be so relatable

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Been here way too long...
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
Not all women in games are treated as objects of sexuality. For example, Samus Aran, unlike most gaming women, is tough. I mean she wiped out an entire race of parasites, took on space pirates, and even held her ground against rival bounty hunters(then again, there's also her zero suit form, but y'know what I mean).
Are we pretending Other M doesn't exist?

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:32 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
bobbyis said:
Think he knows about Chaco's lipstick yet?
I wonder what he thinks about the Wind Fortress.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I thought the Curly's panties item was just to add a bit of humor to the game. I find it hilarious that Quote chooses to carry it around the whole game. XD

I really don't see how that could ruin the game for you in any way.

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The story didn't need it, it didn't need to be an easter egg
Isn't that the definition of "easter egg?"
And Pixel's a real humble and innocent guy, I'm sure it's meant to just be something innocent and silly. The presence of something like that doesn't have to imply heavy sexual undertones.

Chako's lipstick, however...

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Guys, I think we're all missing the real important point here
there are /women/ on this forum, and they shouldn't have to put up with this immature crap.
I don't want to see any more posts about Cave Story on this forum, and I will start banning members permanently who break this rule.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
n0xid said:
I don't want to see any more posts about Cave Story on this forum
Um...I really hope you're joking, here...

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Professional Whatever
My critique of cave story
0/10 needs more cats

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MagicDoors said:
My critique of cave story
0/10 needs more cats
Actually I think there were cat enemies but it got scrapped.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Been here way too long...
There are cat enemies, there just need to be more.
Unless they're sexy cat enemies, in which case they're just contributing to a huge problem the video game industry has and Pixel is literally Hitler for oppressing women with his panties and his lipstick. Strong female characters are completely devoid of sexuality and anything else that might make them seem like a real person and not an unstoppable force of nature.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Professional Whatever
Nah I could totally go for some sexy cat girls

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I-I-I Have nothing to say but this:
Whats the difference between Painties and Underpants? I don't see a point in this argument.
I respect all genders, and don't want to say anymore to not hurt anyone's feelings.
I rest my case.