"Mimiga Island" is Based off of [insert floating island name here]

Am I Crazy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ok, I might sound like I'm on drugs when I'm typing this but hear me out:

One day, I was watching a walkthrough of Chrono Trigger by VerticalSandwich on YouTube (plugplugplugplugplug), and when he got to the Kingdom of Zeal, I noticed that it looked like the Island from Cave Story! Absolutely dumbstruck by this, I did a side-by-side comparison, and to my surprise, it looked the same! Could it be possible that the Kingdom of Zeal was once the Mimiga-inhabited Island we know now?!

Leave your thoughts here.

Attachments

• Chrono-Trigger-Kingdom-of-Zeal.jpg
    Chrono-Trigger-Kingdom-of-Zeal.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 28
  • untitled.bmp
    38.6 KB · Views: 13
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
also quote = mario

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
so what? Most fantasy/retro video games used floating islands SOMEWHERE. Other then the fact both Angel Island and CS'S island both have furries on them, thats the only same thing other then they are both floating islands, also:

GO HOME, YOUR DRUNK

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Noxid said:
also quote = mario
:confused: ...Wha?
Parkraft123 said:
so what? Most fantasy/retro video games used floating islands SOMEWHERE. Other then the fact both Angel Island and CS'S island both have furries on them, thats the only same thing other then they are both floating islands, also:
GO HOME, YOUR DRUNK
:muscledoc: (LOL I put that there 'cause I like being random)
Anyway, to me, it looks exactly alike. :droll:

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
And I guess next you'll be telling us how Quote was powered by the Mammon machine, and that all the trees and mountains displayed in the falling island cutscenes are illusions conducted by Lavos to hide the ice-age wasteland. Or maybe Ballos is Dalton's brother in law? Is Balrog related to the golem sisters in any way?

Boy this opens up so many potential slash-fiction works! Melchior x Jenka, and their children will inherit the ability to somehow craft swords using nothing but a toothpick and some splooge.

I-- I have to update my shipping charts, excuse me.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Professional Whatever
I ship Lucca and Misery

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Anyway, to me, it looks exactly alike.
Yeah, but, so do most floating islands depicted in fantasy/fiction, just Google 'floating island' and you will see that this is one of the most common designs for floating islands in existence. Normally an island with a sharp tip, with a waterfall, mountain, giant tree, castle, or other appendage on top.

It is nothing new. It doesn't mean either games are connected in anyway either, if we were just going to link games via there similarities in design then we could link almost every game together to create some sort of messed up multi-universe fan fiction spanning hundreds of novels...

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Holy shit do you guys think the island from Sonic and Knuckles could ALSO be the same island?

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
There isn't a list of games Pixel played growing up somewhere, is there?
Could be a chance he used reference material here and there; but yeahhhhh :p

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
X-Calibar said:
There isn't a list of games Pixel played growing up somewhere, is there?
Could be a chance he used reference material here and there; but yeahhhhh :p
We know since Pixel played Super Metroid, which as well inspired Cave Story, we do know he probally had a snes, we just need to know if he played Chrono Trigger. :mahin: :droll: :heart:

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
dude what if the missile launcher from Cave Story is the same missile launcher from Halo
DID YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT
I COMPARED SCREENSHOTS THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME
SHIPPING CHARTS = UPDATED

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Hyperbolic
Mimiga island in 3D:

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
trickybilly said:
Mimiga island in 3D:

Seems legit.

PixelVortex said:
Yeah, but, so do most floating islands depicted in fantasy/fiction, just Google 'floating island' and you will see that this is one of the most common designs for floating islands in existence. Normally an island with a sharp tip, with a waterfall, mountain, giant tree, castle, or other appendage on top.
*googles* ...Shuddup.

PixelVortex said:
It is nothing new. It doesn't mean either games are connected in anyway either, if we were just going to link games via there similarities in design then we could link almost every game together to create some sort of messed up multi-universe fan fiction spanning hundreds of novels...

ZarroTsu said:
Holy shit do you guys think the island from Sonic and Knuckles could ALSO be the same island?
Possibly. :debug:

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Professional Whatever
Hey do you know what's great
BBcode tags
I have these cool ones that let me image properly
[ img][/img]

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
After just beating Sonic 3 & Knuckles (for the billionth time..) I compared Mimiga Island to Angel Island. Just to be clear, Mimiga Island is what I call the floating island in Cave Story. Think about it, both islands float through a main source of power, Mimiga Island's Core and Angel Island's Master Emerald. When this theory first came to my head, I actually thought CS takes place inside of Angel Island's caves, but discarded that thought when I remembered Angel Island floats over water, and Mimiga Island floats over a mountainous region. So what do you think? Is Mimiga Island maybe inspired by Angel Island?

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Professional Whatever
Guys guess what quote is mario
They both jump and fight enemies, they have to be related

In all seriousness, both of them having a power source isn't much to go off of. Whether by magic or a plot device or some other thing, floating islands need some kind of force to float. It doesn't really make mimiga island based off of angel island.

By the same token, I could say that mimiga island is based off of laputa, since they both float and have a power source.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
I dunno, maybe?
Actually, does this question even need to be asked about?
I mean, put in this way:
In Megaman, you get powers that are copied once you defeat the bosses.
In Kirby, you get copy abilities by eating the bad guys/innocent creatures.
Does this mean Kirby was inspired by Megaman?
Not very likely.
It could be be two different games with some similar traits, but that doesn't mean that they were inspired by one or the other.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Pixel said that he was inspired by games like Metroid and such, but I guess it is possible that he played Sonic and Knuckles at some point and loved the concept of Angel Island. It's possible, but not plausible, and I'm not sure the Island can really count as taking inspiration, anyway - the Core's nature is quite dissimilar to that of the Master Emerald.

On a side note, I always simply called it the Island, but Mimiga Island makes sense as well. I'm not sure if a canon name was ever given for it, but I doubt it, and I prefer it that way. :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
the idea of a floating island has been around for a long time way before sonic and video games