how to make a cave story game?

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hello. i want ro make a cave story fan game (kind of like a cave story 2. right after the first one) i need to know what kind of programs and apps i need to do this can any one tell me or something? that would be nice thanks

BTW i'm new here so if i posted this in the wrong area plz tell me. thanks ^^

-EDIT-

i'll put this here so everyone can have a better idea of what i'm thinking of doing

ok what i want to do is make al most the same game how ever i want to add some small rpg elements to it. not to change the game too much. i want to still keep the hard challenge as the orginal game. but make it where you have like alot more you can do.

what i want to do is add:

a leveling system.- the guns will still have they're 3 lvl system but they will have a like a battle lvl system like in ratchet and clank. making them get even stronger

the charaters get like a leveling system too. not to make them too stronge but to add to the fun of the game. i will make a classic mode. like playing the first game no leveling systerm. (for thoes who like a hard challenge)

a new menu screen. 1 to check all charater's stats and 1 like the first. but it would be more like a quick menu

i want to make and add 2 new playable main charaters (along with Quote and Carly). to expand the range of weapons, items, abillities and story and maybe more

i don't want to remove that part. as annoying as that was. thats what make the game fun. want i want to do is give it another exp metter. like if you kill an enemy the weapon it self gets exp for that kill.. the more you use it the stronger it gets.

this exsample may help:

Polerstar:
Crystal Lv - 1/3
Crystal exp - 12/20
weapon Lv - 9
weapon exp - 100
to next Lv - 25

stats:
damage - 10
range - 5

some thing like that

-EDIT 2-

ok some of you are looking at me like i'm crazy or something. or like i'm just another person trying to do a projet that'll never happen. i didn't say that i was here to make random postings or anything. i just trying to get info on what i would need. as i said i want to "try" to make a game.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Professional Whatever
Good point.

The common and easiest program is Game Maker, though it's not very powerful. If you're willing to learn an industry standard language you could try C++/C# or Javascript I guess.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
Good point.

The common and easiest program is Game Maker, though it's not very powerful. If you're willing to learn an industry standard language you could try C++/C# or Javascript I guess.
would that be like in the same style of the game itself? of will it be diffent?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
He might not want to make a mod though. He might want to build his own engine.
would modding be diffent? or would it just be the same game but made in to a diffent way?

i should explain what i have planned so it may help make this alittle easier?

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yeah sure why not
at least then we can tell you "just make a mod" and you can go get confused about how to do that.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
yeah sure why not
at least then we can tell you "just make a mod" and you can go get confused about how to do that.
ok what i want to do is make al most the same game how ever i want to add some small rpg elements to it. not to change the game too much. i want to still keep the hard challenge as the orginal game. but make it where you have like alot more you can do.

what i want to do is add:

a leveling system.- the guns will still have they're 3 lvl system but they will have a like a battle lvl system like in ratchet and clank. making them get even stronger
the charaters get like a leveling system too. not to make them too stronge but to add to the fun of the game. i will make a classic mode. like playing the first game no leveling systerm. (for thoes who like a hard challenge)

a new menu screen. 1 to check all charater's stats and 1 like the first. but it would be more like a quick menu

i want to make and add 2 new playable main charaters (along with Quote and Carly). to expand the range of weapons, items, abillities and story and maybe more

thats about all i can think of for now. i hopw this helps

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
MagicDoors said:
you could try C++/C# or Javascript I guess.
No. You would not want to try javascript (unless it was actionscript, but then you'd be using flash anyways, so that doesn't count).

Javascript and Java are 2 different things.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
No. You would not want to try javascript (unless it was actionscript, but then you'd be using flash anyways, so that doesn't count).

oh ok

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Professional Whatever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

Sorry, I wasn't aware.

the guns will still have they're 3 lvl system but they will have a like a battle lvl system like in ratchet and clank. making them get even stronger
I made a hack a little while ago that stopped enemies from dropping exp crystals (although I could remove that part if you actually wanted enemies to drop exp) and didn't drain exp when you got hurt. I could probably salvage it for you if you need it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
I made a hack a little while ago that stopped enemies from dropping exp crystals (although I could remove that part if you actually wanted enemies to drop exp) and didn't drain exp when you got hurt. I could probably salvage it for you if you need it.
well i don't want to remove that part. as annoying as that was. thats what make the game fun. want i want to do is give it another exp metter. like if you kill an enemy the weapon it self gets exp for that kill.. the more you use it the stronger it gets.

this exsample may help:

Polerstar
Crystal Lv - 1/3
Crystal exp - 12/20
weapon Lv - 9
weapon exp - 100
to next Lv - 25

stats:
damage - 10
range - 5

some thing like that

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Professional Whatever
Yeah you're gonna have a wild time if you want to make a second leveling system, not only programming but balancing the game as well

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yeah i know its not easy. but i still want to try to do what i can.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Okay with a project so naively ambitious I am going to tell you that we are not going to give you much help, you're not going to finish this regardless of what you say right now, and nobody is going to make your mod for you.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I am a bit curious, but have you done any kind of programming before?

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
Okay with a project so naively ambitious I am going to tell you that we are not going to give you much help, you're not going to finish this regardless of what you say right now, and nobody is going to make your mod for you.
wasn't asking for modding just info on things that i wouls need.

ElecMaw said:
I am a bit curious, but have you done any kind of programming before?
kind of. but it was with a friend making a flash video >.<;

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Scythe-X said:
wasn't asking for modding just info on things that i wouls need.

kind of. but it was with a friend making a flash video >.<;

We can't help you here, other then to just say that you need to learn programming before getting into a project like this. Like if you want to write a game of this scale in C++ you might be years ahead before you are even ready to start with your project, and then you will need some courses in game design to have a fun game going.(Otherwise you might end up with something like the Demon Rush...)

GameMaker is easier then writing it with code but you still nead to learn a lot about how to get the most out of the engine to begin with, and then you need to be comfortable on working months if not years on the project. If you seriously have to do it right now, all i can do is point you to RPGMaker and hope you have a fun time with that.

No offense, but it's way out of your league for now.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
If you are to make your own Cave Story game then that will take a few years to learn a programming language fluently enough to make a game that is playable and even then you would not be able to do something so ambitious for your first game, if you look at any game developers history they never made their dream game straight away, they had to make games prior to that so that they could understand design better and get to grips with the overall task of making a game. You need to work in steps and build up to making a game that would be this large, your first project shouldn't take longer than a month or two too finish. Some tips for if you are choosing to make a Cave Story game:
  • Look at a few different programming languages and find which one works for you.
  • Learn that language well.
  • Make a few small simple projects.
  • Make a few medium sized projects.
  • Make your Cave Story game.
This process will take a few years to do, the best advice is to just be patient and work at a pace that is good for you.

If you are making a mod the same rules apply, start by just altering the default game and work up slowly to making a good mod. Learn the basics of what you can and can't do in modding before coming up with ideas that might not even be possible for you to do.

The main problem you have is that you are being over ambitious, anyone can say that they are going to make a great mod and finish it without understanding the time and dedication it takes to make something truly good, most mods get cancelled for this very reason. You need to know your limits and what it too much, just scroll through the mod showcase section to see how many mods have been cancelled. I am not saying you can't do this, I am just saying that you can't do this at this time. I hope this helps.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Professional Whatever
Aren't flash videos like, not even programming at all? I was under the impression that they were just frame by frame animation.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
MagicDoors said:
Aren't flash videos like, not even programming at all? I was under the impression that they were just frame by frame animation.
Unless it is one that has certain interactable parts, an example being a compilation video with arrows at the bottom of the screen to skip videos or go back to previous one.