Cave Story+ OrchestraFantasia Soundtrack Mod | Updated to Version 1

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
= FOR CAVE STORY+ / PC =

After asking around, I found that, surprisingly, no one had seemed to have made a soundtrack mod for Cave Story+ that uses all the incredible fan orchestral arrangements floating around the Internet. So, I decided to make one myself and got surprisingly awesome results for comparatively little effort! I was able to replace every track in the game with fan remixes -- including one or two of my own. ;)

When choosing remixes to include, I stuck to some simple rules:
- I chose the best sounding orchestral arrangement when possible.
- When I couldn't find a good orchestral arrangement, I chose arrangements lead/supported by other real instruments (electric guitars, solo piano)
- When I couldn't do THAT, I made an arrangement of my own from a MIDI rip with the best quality sound banks I could find, making the result fit in as much as possible.
- I tried to choose arrangements that sounded appropriate when they were played in game.
- I used my good taste to try and not include anything that sounded crappy. :)

NOTE: The compression is low bitrate to keep the filesize down. Everything is 96kbps Ogg recompressed from MP3, so it might not always sound like a CD. I think it sounds acceptable, though.

Artists are mostly credited in the tag info for the various Ogg files.

Things left to do:
- Better compression. All tracks now normalized to 89db and compressed at 96kbps..
- Find arrangements for remaining tracks, if possible. All main story tracks now have replacements! The soundtrack is completely replaced now!
- Cut all tracks so they loop. [On Hold until I figure out how to make songs loop seamlessly. Nothing is cut except for MIDI ripped arrangements that loop naturally]
- Swap out tracks that are generally disliked.

THE LINK (now with credits in README :o ):
http://www.mediafire.com/?99j6x0862wfpfnf - Version 1 - The Newest
http://www.mediafire.com/?267xnwx7b5lsnq1 - Version 0

Samples from the Soundtrack

Cave Story Theme (CURLY) Replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARegYCvlZko

On to Grasstown (WEED) Replacement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL9w5S_QT8

Credits (also in README):

Code:
Track Name           Internal Name        Artist                          Album                                     Arrangement Name

Access               ACCESS               FrozenFire                      Azure Resonance                           Interruption                                   
Safety               ANZEN / CAMP         nailcliper                      Dreams of a Chiller Time                  Safe Zone                                      
Balcony              BALCONY              Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Balcony                                        
Seal Chamber         BALLOS               Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Seal Chamber                                   
Break Down           BDOWN                Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Break Down                                     
Cemetery             CEMETERY             sinowBeat                       Cave Story Remix Project                  A Hero's Resting Place                         
Cave Story           CURLY                Blake Robinson                  The Synthetic Orchestra Collection        Cave Story -  Theme Orchestra                  
Charge               LASTBTL              Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    A Doctor and a Monster                         
Tyrant               DR                   Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Revoke His Medical License!                    
The Way Back Home    ENDING               Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Ending
Run!                 ESCAPE               Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Run!                                           
Got Item!            FANFALE1             JJ "Wedge of Cheese" Treadway   Dreams of a Chiller Time                  The Journey Goes On                            
Get Heart Tank!      FANFALE2             JJ "Wedge of Cheese" Treadway   Dreams of a Chiller Time                  The Journey Goes On                            
Victory!             FANFALE3             JJ "Wedge of Cheese" Treadway   Dreams of a Chiller Time                  The Journey Goes On                            
Eyes of Flame        FIREEYE              LEAF XCEED Music Division       Imminent Chaos                            Website Releases                               
Game Over            GAMEOVER             Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Game Over                                      
Balrog's Theme       GINSUKE              Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Balrog's Theme                                 
Geothermal           GRAND                Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Geothermal                                     
Gravity              GRAVITY              Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Gravity                                        
Running Hell         HELL                 Random Hero                                                               Cave Story 'The Angels of Hell' OC ReMix       
Oppression           IRONH                LEAF XCEED Music Division       Website Releases                          Core Oppression                                
Jenka 1              JENKA                Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Jenka 1                                        
Jenka 2              JENKA2               Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Jenka's Marching Band                          
Pulse                KODOU                Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Pulse                                          
Last Battle          LASTBT3              LEAF XCEED Music Division       Choirs of Demons                          Cave Story War                                 
Last Cave            LASTCAVE             Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Last Cave                                      
Living Waterway      MARINE               You've Lost Karma!              Karmic Symphony                           Living Waterway                                
Labyrinth Fight      MAZE                 k-wix                           Cave Story Remix Project                  Labyrinth Skirmish                             
Meltdown 2           MDOWN2               Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Meltdown 2                                     
Mimiga Town          MURA                 AspectOfTheStorm                                                          Mimiga Village (Orchestrated)                  
Moonsong             OSIDE / NOOM         Plumegeist                      Exclusives                                Cave Story: The Dark Side of The Wall (Moonsong
Plant                PLANT                k-wix                           Cave Story Remix Project                  Chime Vale                                     
Quiet                QUIET                Vendrocci                       Aranged from MIDI rip                     Quiet                                          
Hero's End           REQUIEM              Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Hero's End                                     
Toroko's Theme       TOROKO               Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Toroko's Theme                                 
Gestation            VIVI                 Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Gestation                                      
Scorching Back       WANPAK2              LEAF XCEED Music Division       Website Releases II                       Path Of Ruin                                   
Mischievous Robot    WANPAKU              Vernian Process                 A Sleeping Destiny                        Mischievious Robot                             
On to Grasstown      WEED                 Lihyahm                                                                   On To Grasstown - Symphony Version             
White                WHITE                GIRakaCHEEZER                                                             Stone White Wall 2.0 (White remix)             
Zombie               ZONBIE               Vendrocci                       Arranged from MIDI rip                    Zombie

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well good bajeezus you actually made this. Nice :D

I can't test it due to a lack of Cave Story+ (or Steam), but hopefully someone else will give better feedback. ;)

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
vendrocci said:
I was able to replace almost every track in the game (save for about 5: Tyrant, Charge, Jenka2, a couple of others) with fan remixes.
Also, "The Way Back Home".

vendrocci said:
The compression is low bitrate o keep the filesize down. Everything is 64kbps Ogg recompressed from MP3, so it doesn't sound like a CD. I think it sounds acceptable, though.
I would have never guessed, they didn't sound compressed at all to me.

Wow, very nice job! How hard was it to convert the sound MP3s into .ogg files? Did you have to write some special program, or were you simply able to use a pre-existing video/sound file encoder?
This sounded amazing. To be quite honest, most of these fan remixes are better than their official remastered counterparts. And listening to them while playing the game and having the game handle all the synchronization for you without you having to do something special is just epicness.
I haven't listened to them all, because if I've got some stuff to do for school, but I really enjoyed hearing this.
What would be really epic is if you could have Neverdie replace Last battle. You made it sound like it doesn't work if the file size of the .ogg is too big, and maybe the reason you didn't use Neverdie is because it's too long? Not sure. But anyway, if you were able to get Neverdie to work, then you would make quite a few Cave Story fans really happy.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Professional Whatever
You can use a sound recording program to import the mp3 and just export it in .ogg format.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
Also, "The Way Back Home".

I would have never guessed, they didn't sound compressed at all to me.

Wow, very nice job! How hard was it to convert the sound MP3s into .ogg files? Did you have to write some special program, or were you simply able to use a pre-existing video/sound file encoder?
This sounded amazing. To be quite honest, most of these fan remixes are better than their official remastered counterparts. And listening to them while playing the game and having the game handle all the synchronization for you without you having to do something special is just epicness.
I haven't listened to them all, because if I've got some stuff to do for school, but I really enjoyed hearing this.
What would be really epic is if you could have Neverdie replace Last battle. You made it sound like it doesn't work if the file size of the .ogg is too big, and maybe the reason you didn't use Neverdie is because it's too long? Not sure. But anyway, if you were able to get Neverdie to work, then you would make quite a few Cave Story fans really happy.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it! :D I used MediaCoder to automate transcoding all the mp3s to the right bitrate, so that shaved off some time. NeverDie is indeed epic! It was tough to decide what to include, but I chose XCEED's last battle metal mix for consistency with other tracks and since it uses real world instruments (XCEED did some other awesome metal versions of boss music that are also included). I want to do another pack that focuses more on synth and electronic tracks and NeverDie would definitely be the go-to for that. The key thing I'm aiming for is to make the pack sound as much as possible like an actual soundtrack for the game with limited artists/instruments/themes. BTW, your April 1 video was incredible. Fooled me. ^_^

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You really need to include a credits or something in the readme, since the author of all the remixes is unknown to anyone who downloads it.

Also this has quite a bit of style dissonance at times.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
They get credit in the tag info of the oggs, at least.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Polaris said:
They get credit in the tag info of the oggs, at least.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You really need to include a credits or something in the readme, since the author of all the remixes is unknown to anyone who downloads it.

Also this has quite a bit of style dissonance at times.
Oops, fixed! Improved the crediting. Some files tags aren't included yet (particularly yours, GiRakaCHEEZER :o ) but I've updated the readme and the post to credit everyone. I did what I could with the style--some tracks just didn't have a lot of remixes that sounded good to me and were orchestrated (i.e. didn't sound like a MIDI with cheezy samples). Some may disagree, but I think it sounds nice, and I'm open to suggestions for replacements that keep with the concert feel.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
Track Name Internal Name Artist Album Arrangement Name

Access ACCESS FrozenFire Azure Resonance Interruption

Huh.. I didn't expect you'd use my access remix. I think I did okay in making a worthy remix, but I don't see it exactly fitting in as gameplay music.

I think Ferocious_Rabbit's Access remix is much more fitting:

But it looks like you'd have to contact Ferocious_Rabbit because I don't see a download for the track anywhere.

This is awesome though. Good work, vendrocci!

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
FrozenFire said:
Track Name Internal Name Artist Album Arrangement Name

Access ACCESS FrozenFire Azure Resonance Interruption

Huh.. I didn't expect you'd use my access remix. I think I did okay in making a worthy remix, but I don't see it exactly fitting in as gameplay music.

I think Ferocious_Rabbit's Access remix is much more fitting:

But it looks like you'd have to contact Ferocious_Rabbit because I don't see a download for the track anywhere.

This is awesome though. Good work, vendrocci!
Thank you!! :D I love your access remix, it sounds awesome. I really like the sound of Ferocious_Rabbit's, I'll try to get in touch with him and get a full version and see how it fits. I made an exception for yours because ACCESS it's kind of the "computer song."

Also, I updated the mod quite a bit! Whoever's interested in the changes/a download, please refer to my top post. ^_^

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I love the cave story episode 1 clip and I just want to say.....

KEEP MAKING IT! Best remix ever along with the quality(Or just my computer..)
PLEASE MAKE MORE!