Jenka's Nightmare - Demo 180213

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ufgcarrtcijv58 - 180213_1

----

And here we are. First demo of changes made. The game ends after "The Underside".

You can load an old game file from the original Cave Story, as long as its save location is the Prefab House before Hell. At the moment only the life capsules really matter in this case, but you will be given placeholder capsules for later.

(Oldish) Screenshots:
diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

Let me know of any bugs or glitches, or general issues with the game. Personal opinions on the story are also welcome (even if many of us don't listen to you).

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

There are also two "Secret Rooms" in the demo, and one hidden item. Let me know if you find them all!

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Yayyyyy :D

I'll get playing as soon as I can. Assuming I can snatch a little Wi-Fi for the laptop, anyway ;)

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ZarroTsu said:
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?u3hda3txei2x03p

----

And here we are. First demo of changes made. The game ends after "The Underside".

You can load an old game file from the original Cave Story, as long as its save location is the Prefab House before Hell. At the moment only the life capsules really matter in this case, but you will be given placeholder capsules for later.

(Oldish) Screenshots:
diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

Let me know of any bugs or glitches, or general issues with the game. Personal opinions on the story are also welcome (even if many of us don't listen to you).

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

There are also two "Secret Rooms" in the demo, and one hidden item. Let me know if you find them all!

I beat it. Its good, but the difficulty is too high.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM
liammillay said:
I beat it. Its good, but the difficulty is too high.
This has been mentioned by a friend of mine. Notably, the first boss... Problem is, I can't change the sue dopple damage amount, since it's called as a state instead of an entity value.

I will consider putting another life capsule in the pipeworks, and toning down the enemy count a bit.

Could you list any other ways in which the mod is difficult?

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:28 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So, after finishing the demo, I've gotta say it's a really good "remod". Nice restructuring, with a lot of details noticeable. For me, it wasn't all that hard.

Oh yeah, and I found 2 of 2 and the hidden one. Good anticipation of invincibility frames, enemy boosting, and momentum.

Actually, there is one little thing I noticed. In the reservoir there is this ONE tile that isn't covered by water.....it can make getting the hidden room much easier.
p164417-0-24zm8gi.png

Let's fix that for the sake of difficulty?

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM
UPDATE: 180213 is now out.

- Made First caves way the fuck less tedius

- Reduced enemy count

- Weakened Midorin's damage to 2 from 3

- Weakened Stumpy's HP to 2 from 3

- Weakened Igor's HP to 128 from 160

- Weakened Suto #1's HP from 180 to 160

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The beginning reminds me of when you try to play Curly Story on the 3DS E-shop port of Cave Story.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Well, predictably as fuck the cave tileset broke. So...

UPDATE 180213_1:

- Fixed the stupid cave pxa file breaking! (Noxid needs to fix that bug, god damn)

- Fixed the map tiles that are shown in JonSpider's post

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
- Fixed the stupid cave pxa file breaking! (Noxid needs to fix that bug, god damn)
If you could describe it I can try to

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM
If you could describe it I can try to
Using the 'load last' command on the file menu when a project is already open can sometimes reset the pxa of a map (the tileset's hitboxes) that was open at the time, to all '00's. I noticed this before when I started using it to reset the editor's graphic file feed, and then this time around it was accidental.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Based Member
So, played most of the demo. Great job with the new visuals! I particularly liked the PipeWorks. Here are some glitches/comments:

- Why was the background to the Yamashita Farm changed to that red background? I liked it better with the green background it has in Cave Story. I see you also did away with the Chimney.
- In Mimiga Tower, it looks kindof weird with that blue background showing behind those open doors. My impression was that you were trying to give it a look of being a preview of outside. I think this effect would be better achieved by having it be light, like the door for the Hideout when it opens.
- In the Pipeworks, power crystals appear to sometimes be bouncing on invisible tiles.
- When you talk to Jack in Grasstown and he mentions the Doctor, "Doctor" is not capitalized.
- Who's this Suto? guy

I've gotten to Grasstown, and activated the terminal in the upper left corner of Grasstown, but I can't seem to find the generator or extra terminal that is supposed to make some other fans turn on that will help me get through Grasstown. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
I've gotten to Grasstown, and activated the terminal in the upper left corner of Grasstown, but I can't seem to find the generator or extra terminal that is supposed to make some other fans turn on that will help me get through Grasstown. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Go talk to Jack again (After you beat Suto). I suppose I could put a 'note' on the generator room door that signifies he has the key.

- In the Pipeworks, power crystals appear to sometimes be bouncing on invisible tiles.
To keep the midorins from wandering off the edge down pipes or something, I needed to use tile44's to keep them in check. Unfortunately, I can't seem to just simply apply 'ignore tile 44' to exp frags, so until I can, they're hitting the invisible blocks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I accidentally jumped out of the fall fall pit...

p164425-0-kvzbeuz.png

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM

...Huh. I didn't think that was possible. I'll have to make the <WAI a bit longer after the last block breaks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
You can do that in the original too, if I remember correctly. I did it once in a bid to keep the Polar Star, but nope :(

Anyway...Imma magic9mushroom the heck outta this mod. >:3
...kinda. Your mod is professional enough that I didn't see too many errors, but whatever.

¤Opening cutscene: Balrog says "I Got the fire wood!" Got shouldn't be capitalized.
"Well actually I remembered don't have any thumbs..."
"Something keeps prod[d]ing the back of my mind."

¤Silly Zarro, naming the Nemesis Mjolnir...and what's up with the "Hydra" and other NemesIs?*end spoIler*

¤I really like the secret rooms, but the ways to get to them are a bit obvious. The first is a very commonly known trick, and the second is tantalizing sequence breaking anyone as curious as I would attempt in a heartbeat. Nevertheless,I like the way you found a use for simple curiosities. Hope you find more interesting hiding places later :p

¤Nice job on making the mod feel like a sequel. You nailed it!

¤Good god Soto is creepy '~'

¤I'm guessing there will be some sort of evil Quote and ghostly Date? They look pretty awesome, and I especially like the "normal" Quote face.

¤It looks like the plot is a lot thicker this revive around. I'm officially intrigued ;)

Good luck with your progress. I'll give some more feedback when I can. :chin:

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Two last things about the 'Secret Rooms' before I make this demo obsolete:

~ You can talk to the person at the computer five times before they run out of dialog.

~ The bookshelf holds a single-entry diary per Secret Room.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
Using the 'load last' command on the file menu when a project is already open can sometimes reset the pxa of a map (the tileset's hitboxes) that was open at the time, to all '00's. I noticed this before when I started using it to reset the editor's graphic file feed, and then this time around it was accidental.
I can't reproduce the bug from these instructions and I can't think of any known issues that might be causing it. Could you zip any "log.<x>" files in your editor folder and send them to me? That might help pinpoint the issue. Also, I should mention that Load Last doesn't save any currently loaded data / changes, it basically just purges the editor's contents and loads everything over. At least, in theory.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
JonSpider said:
Oh yeah, and I found 2 of 2 and the hidden one. Good anticipation of invincibility frames, enemy boosting, and momentum.
Mind telling me where is the 2nd one?

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
It's past the entrance to Grasstown. It's a bit difficult to get to, but not impossible.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Could you add a drop box mirror link?