Misery, Balrog, Ballos, and Jenka related?

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
In game Balrog refers to jenks as "auntie" and Jenka refers to Misery as her daughter, and in the sacred grounds you find that Ballos is Jenka's brother; Is it possible that Balrog is Ballos's son, therefor meaning that Misery is Balrogs cousin

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Wasn't Balrog given his block form or was that just Ballos?

Fuk I'm starting to forget all this shit without all my saves :'(

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There is no canonical reference saying that Balrog is a transformation. Even Ballos looks mostly human (until he becomes BALLos).
One theory was that Balrog was a minion that Misery summoned to assist her.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
The PC version would go against this and make Balrog an enemy rather than a family member.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Nicalis translation is usually more accurate translation-wise.

However I believe 3 things in this regard:
1. Balrog's design was "based" on a bar of soap.
2. Balrog is a robot.
3. Balrog was not cursed by the crown but is in this for Misery's sake.
4. Auntie is a term of endearment because of Misery's relation to Jenka.

AS I said.. 4 things.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Professional Whatever
But why would Balrog fight with Misery even when she was bound by the crown? If he's not cursed, he could carry out Misery's true wishes - or at least not fight Quote at all. Or not steal from his "auntie".

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Why would Misery tell Balrog to do something that went against the bearer? Or even remotely suggest it? Of the two of them Balrog exhibited free will while Misery only went against Date (The Doctor) when he lost his status as the crown bearer (incorporeal entities cannot wear crowns) but was still cursed to serve the future bearer by stopping Quote from destroying the core. Misery is not cursed to just follow the orders of the crown bearer, she is cursed to "serve" the crown bearer. There is a huge difference.

Even at the ending he only mentions Misery as being cursed.

I guess "endearment" isn't the right word though. Essentially what I am suggesting is that he calls her Auntie because Misery does.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:53 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MagicDoors said:
But why would Balrog fight with Misery even when she was bound by the crown? If he's not cursed, he could carry out Misery's true wishes - or at least not fight Quote at all. Or not steal from his "auntie".
I think that's just always been their relationship, him the big oaf and her the controlling person. I don't think Misery even knew her own true wishes at the time and even if she did Balrog isn't the brightest.

It's funny you should mention that because we are shown that Balrog is barely motivitated to take part in the action at first. You can choose not to fight him at the first battle remember? Only after he has seen Misery getting punished by the doctor did shape up a tad.

And he did steal from Jenka just not at first. His first visit was a request for the storage key and when he was denied he came back later to take it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yes. Balrog's problem when it comes to Misery is that he is loyal to a fault.