Why did Booster survive?

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Okay. I'm pretty sure this was never discussed, but if it is, then I'm sorry, the question had been nagging me for a while.

Why would Booster die when Quote attend to him, but survive if he get ignored?

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This has been asked before. But there wasn't an actual thread for it.

There are two theories behind this...

Theory 1:
freezit4 said:
You take his jetty, he assumes he'd done what he's supposed to FTSO the island. He gives up hopes for his gut, loses will, dies. Tis' the path of a true pessimist.

You pretend you didn't see anything falling down or anything, he feels he's still got to pay his responsibility. He's got will, survives.
It's a mentality thing.

Theory 2:
DoubleThink said:
Technically you never actually see how he lands, so the way I like to think of it is a sort of Schrodinger's Booster - he's only definitely hurt until you go down and check. In the version of reality where you leave him to lie, for whichever reason, he's not that badly beat up and he falls and lands safely, so he's able enough to get the teleporter working properly.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Based Member
Another theory:

When you're injured, talking can really take a lot of your remaining strength out. Seeing that long lecture Booster gives you if you talk to him, he's using up quite a lot of what's left of himself. But if you don't talk to him, he hasn't used it up yet, and perhaps has enough strength to pull himself together and fix the teleporter, and even upgrade the Booster. In addition, he probably wouldn't have wanted all his work on the Booster to go to waste. If he died with nobody to see him off, his work would have never seen the light of day. He wouldn't want that to happen,so he isn't ready to die until someone's seen his work. Since he hasn't shown the Booster to anyone if you jump over the gap, he still has something to live for. If someone's there to make use of his invention after his death, however, his life is complete, and it is now time for him to go, so he doesn't feel a need to fight to stay alive.

That's my theory.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Dammit Hayden. Stop plucking theories directly from my grey matter.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My theory is that the Gaudi helped him out. Maybe they have some sense of honour of some kind, who knows?

The Labyrinth Shop Gaudi aren't violent, so could've been them who helped Booster recover by taking him to the clinic. They can fly, after all.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
If you take his Booster he remains in the hole and dies.
If you ignore him so he keeps his Booster he'll use it to escape.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
That's actually pretty plausible. After all, Chaba owns a shop... with no wares. Booster's an amazing engineer/inventor. Chaba would totally have taken a business oppurtunity like that; saving Booster in exchange for him making products to sell at his store

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Professional Whatever
trickybilly said:
If you take his Booster he remains in the hole and dies.
If you ignore him so he keeps his Booster he'll use it to escape.
But he dies as you're talking with him
How much time does he even have to get out of that hole and get through the labyrinth to the clinic

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'm pretty sure he just operates the teleporter and rocks up at arthurs house.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
And also repairs his glasses :awesomeface:

It's easy to say that he "only" has to spend some time working on the Booster/teleporter but when you go down to see him he's so weak that he can barely move. I don't think there's any such straightforward answer to it, considering it's always been one of Pixel's odder storyline choices.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Based Member
DoubleThink said:
And also repairs his glasses :awesomeface:
He doesn't repair his glasses, he pulls out a new pair.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:14 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Booster died (he was free to die) when Mr. Traveler gave him support.
He know that the protagonist was enough to take care of the Undead Core and the Doctor's power.

However, when he didn't see that good ol' scout robot around, he realized that he needed to pull his own weight, despite his age.
He needed to finish the Booster 2.0 to make sure that everything would work out.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Professional Whatever
Wasn't that already said like twice

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Booster...

It all becomes possible when you discover Booster returning to Jenka during the credits.

An accident that Booster drops RIGHT above you as you pass by? Maybe. What about Quote waking up in a small cave sealed with a watchful eye door; possibly the only one on the island. And in that cave happens to be a master gunmaker? Coincidence? MAybe. Finding the waterway cabin, with instructions and a helpful computer that just happens to know which book you should check to save Curly? ... It could happen. And a talking magic mushroom (the only one?), that restores memories, the Cthulhu just happens to know about; despite there being only one. Possible. Oh, and if you check the place where Booster's notebook is kept, after defeating the Doctor; a voice speaks and asks if you would like to go back to an earlier time. ........
Well, I suppose if that really exists, is debatable.

Why does Booster live if you don't check on him? Because, someone or something interferes. If Booster is on the verge of death, not even another Cure-all would probably save him in time. Although... there is one other item that might.

The answer lies with the dogs (and their master)

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
X-Calibar said:
Although... there is one other item that might.

The answer lies with the dogs (and their master)
Oh, I thought it's somewhere in the Korons' house.

Well anyway, the fact that the Labyrinth is infested with hostile Gaudis...how is that possible that Booster evades them all?

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Oh, I thought it's somewhere in the Korons' house.
You mean the dog, Hajime? Well, the dog appears randomly in the Plantation to give you a life pot right? (or was it a life capsule?) If my conspiracy theory is right, then he could appear and assist Booster, since he hasn't given his booster to you yet...
If anything could revive him to full health, a life pot should! (Though the question why couldn't you give a life pot to Booster or Curly comes to mind...)

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
No I was thinking Curly's P--- Yes, probably Hajime.

And the fact that Quote can't give any item is because he isn't programmed to give anything he has acquired, unless it's part of the mission, I think.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Professional Whatever
I never use the life pot before Hell but I seem to remember Hajime giving you a life pot if you don't already have one.
Maybe. He definitely gives you a life capsule though.