[Softmints] Corridor

May 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, after a long break (too long), I decided I'd come back with a new game. Julian's King had too much story/dialouge needed for my liking, and Hell II was too short. So here it is; Corridor.

Corridor is a series of rooms (Labeled One, Two, Three...) in the Hell tileset. Each contains a reasonably difficult series of puzzles, enemies, tricks or whatever that you need to perform. The catch? You get:

- - - 1 Health (Cheating gives more.)
- - - Booster 2.0.
- - - Nemesis (Cheating gives Polar Star.)
- - - No Saves
- - - Timer

The rooms are going to be as fun and inventive as I can make them, and I'll certainly be using Skull Blocks (one of my favorite creations) in a few of them. I'll be updating this often enough.

Latest version contains:
- - - 17 Corridors [Two new]
- - - Optional extra health.
- - - Optional Polar Star.

This most recent version adds four new corridors, up to 15! The fifteenth one is the hardest and most inventive level I have EVER made for Cave Story, so I can't wait to see how people do on it. I have included a special section in the readme about it, if you are stuck.

Xaser made a nice mod of this which allows players to jump to any corridor they please; which he kindly asked my permission to share. To access this feature, there's a hidden hole in the wall at the Cheater's Corner, just jump through.

- - Download Here! [1.17] [.zip]
- - Download Xarer's Mod Here! [1.15] [.zip]

If you're really really stuck on this, or want to practice, I have left the room numbers in the script for map zero. All you have to do is replace the code in #0100 with the room code in Sue's editor.

I really want to know how far people get in this, so do let me know! Your feedback means a lot to me!

May 18, 2007 at 6:19 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I only tried it once. I got through the first room. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have 0 room for error. Thats frustrating, especially when its as long as yours is.

May 18, 2007 at 7:41 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WTF Welcome back mate! ;)
Glad to see you back again, the community needs moar modders ;P

May 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I have just updated it with the life capsule. Each time you use it, it adds +1 life. That should make things a little easier for the newbies. I also fixed room 4, 5, and 10.

Yes, I can beat this entire thing in one run. It's very hard, but possible.

May 18, 2007 at 9:11 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The first door leads to room 10 now.

May 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I want to play this(badly, I love a good challenge especially in Cave Story).. the one I downloaded started me at Ten, which I'm guessing is wrong looking at Andy's post. I got it down to where I can zip to the end of Ten pretty quick, but I couldn't beat the boss cause I got ducked. (awesome work making omega actually hard with the tight quarters =D )

May 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM
Whoopsie, that can be fixed with Sue's (Room numbers are listed). I'm uploading the fixed one now. The bosses will reside in the rooms in which they normally are, so next up: Balrog (Shelter), Balrog (Power Room), Balfrog. To keep the difficulty intact, the rooms will be modified and the weapon level increased.

What do people think of allowing you to swap the Nemesis for the Polar Star in room zero? It's a weaker weapon, yes, but it means that exp can be gotton freely. Thoughts?

May 18, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Slacker
Polar Star > Nemesis in any situation for me. It'd be less challenging though, one less element you don't have to worry about. Consistant 4 damage is better than permanent 1 if you screw up.

May 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Hoxtilicious
Please don't use the old version of Sue's Workshop!

May 18, 2007 at 10:36 PM
There's a new one? Can you link me, please?

May 18, 2007 at 10:57 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well: There you go ;)
As for the mod, I think there should be a difficulty setting, like:

Normal - 50 HP
Hard - 10 HP
Insane - 1 HP (3 HP is just ridicolous because there is no enemy there which damages 1 HP :()

And also something too choose between Nemesis and Polar Star ;) Cuz I would like to use the nemesis there, but I'm too bad for 1 HP (3 HP)...

May 18, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Slacker
I love this.

Edit- Still lovin it, I can get to Four very fast (about a minute on the timer) but Four is crazy hard unless you take your time killin off all the butes flying out. Five is awesome.

I'm gonna beat this, and fast eventually..

May 19, 2007 at 12:42 AM
Glad you like it!
p12148-0-thankyou2.gif
Hours of frustration and keyboard smashing right here - who needs the internet?

Ok, just uploaded the latest. As I have said, there's variable life (you choose it), and I have just added the Eleventh Corridor. It's a really tough one, by my standards.

May 19, 2007 at 12:44 AM
Slacker
Is there gonna be an end to it or are you just going to keep adding more Corridors?

May 19, 2007 at 12:51 AM
The end will be when I run out of actual maps (94). I may add some secret corridors along the way, for funsies. I may end it with the Ballos fight (87), in a modified room, ofc. The last couple of maps would be secret corridors and whatnot.

I may consider allowing the player to enter the corridors at 10 level intervals, which means that after beating Ten, an option becomes available in Zero to proceed to 11 if you die (It takes enough time to reach Ten as it is). Does this sound good?

May 19, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Slacker
So..there's gonna be like 80 corridors? O_o man that's gonna be hell to get all in one go with 3 HP hahahah

May 19, 2007 at 12:57 AM
There will be enough to keep any player on his toes for a long long time.

May 19, 2007 at 1:04 AM
Slacker
Only gotten to Five so far, it's hard work getting all the way there and then dying a bunch of times to figure out the trick to getting through it. Not that I mind really.

One and Two I breeze right by with no trouble in just seconds.

Three is cool, I'm not sure how you intended the player to get to the door (the REAL door, man I got tricked =X), but sometimes destroying the presses above the door can make an xp shard drop right on top of the door, so I have to wait for it to dissapear.

Four is near impossible to clear fast because of the time needed to clear the Butes as they appear. It would be possible to outrun them to some extent but then you get to the big guy throwing stuff and you have to either kill him fast or take your time getting around him, both giving the Butes enough to time to catch up and smash ya =X

I like Five a lot, a great concept, haven't cleared it yet...

With the broken upload earlier, I got to play Ten haha. Ten is intense, but I found a good way to fly through it if I'm lucky (which is bad haha cause now I can't go straight to it with this one) Didn't beat the boss though, picked up an XP shard and it was over.

I'm gonna keep playing til I can beat it with just the 3HP/Nemmy/Fast, but for now I must eat pizzaaaaa

May 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM
Hoxtilicious
Softmints said:
The end will be when I run out of actual maps (94). I may add some secret corridors along the way, for funsies. I may end it with the Ballos fight (87), in a modified room, ofc. The last couple of maps would be secret corridors and whatnot.

Why not 100? And a boss fight in every 10th room ;P
With a special bonus of 10 rooms XD 110 something like hell or so...
And why not having the style changing on every 10 rooms? Like begining with Cave and ending up with hell... That would be awesome!

Softmints said:
I may consider allowing the player to enter the corridors at 10 level intervals, which means that after beating Ten, an option becomes available in Zero to proceed to 11 if you die (It takes enough time to reach Ten as it is). Does this sound good?

Yeah, thats a nice idea! But you can't use it with the timer...

Anyhow, I think you shoudln't put your config into the zip or some error logs :p

And I still think there really should be a difficulty setting mate... Otherwise we would end up in things like 20 people playing and one plays with 20 health other with 5 health other with 3 health other with 50 health other with 15...
So whats about the idea of having 1 health instead of 3? I think 3 is too commun used :p

May 19, 2007 at 1:39 AM
Slacker
Yknow those spikes that Ballos summons in his final form? The ones that do -1.

Maybe put those in various spots, to use to delevel the nemmy? Just in case someone accidently levels it up, it pretty much means you're done if you can't take a hit, and the spikes would delevel it to 1 ( I think ).

Heh this is starting to sound more like a gauntlet rather than a see how fast you can clear so many rooms with no mistakes thing haha. Not that that's a bad thing really... I like both.