Here's a pretty good idea

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
At least me and a couple friends think so.

Make an original version of Cave Story, except with 2 player Co-op, maybe with netplay OR with two controllers/controller+keyboard. You could make the game harder, so it'd be more challenging. Also, you could post the code so that people could make other mods Co-op.

Anyway, neither my friends nor I are any good at modding, so I was just throwing this idea out there if someone would like to work on it.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:46 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I believe this would require advanced programming knowledge and a lot of time. If someone was going to put this much effort into something, I would imagine they would make a completely original game from scratch not something like this.

That being said, playing the game co-op, with Curly and Quote would be a lot of fun.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:59 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Elk said:
At least me and a couple friends think so.

Make an original version of Cave Story, except with 2 player Co-op, maybe with netplay OR with two controllers/controller+keyboard. You could make the game harder, so it'd be more challenging. Also, you could post the code so that people could make other mods Co-op.

Anyway, neither my friends nor I are any good at modding, so I was just throwing this idea out there if someone would like to work on it.

lol i asked this a few months ago lol

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:10 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
xristosx said:
lol i asked this a few months ago lol
And what were the answers?
I've also thought of this before, but I figured the game's engine couldn't handle it.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Daniel G said:
And what were the answers?
I've also thought of this before, but I figured the game's engine couldn't handle it.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it could handle it or not, but I thought I should ask.

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
you could play quote together, one person doing the left/right and another the up/down

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
That reminds me of when me and a friend tried to play Guitar Hero, both at the same time, on the same guitar. I got the two highest fret buttons and the strings, he the three lowest fret buttons.
The result was... interesting. Especially the chords.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
DDR with 4 people on one mat is fun.

May 1, 2007 at 2:15 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nah, you can buy DDR matts.

And you can't really call it twister if people only have to worry about one arrow, try 1 person, 2 matts on an 'expert' difficulty song. Oh, and try it without taping the matts to the floor.

Back on-topic, an online cavestory would surly be fun. You could have it similar to PSO, allowing 4 people (red, yellow, green, blue) to a server, and a coop/battle/challenge mode... I'd LOVE to fight a quote "clone". ('though most weapons WOULD auto-kill) ...Maybe for a battle mode, players would get 1000hp each, and a free-grab for weapons before the free-for-all (1 weapon a person) ...If given the choice of weapon, which would you want to use, and which would you want to have to fight? It'd be hard taking out someone with a spur when you have a sword, huh? (Spur could deal a good 100-damage at max, though charging is a problem. at the same time, you could probably deal 100 damage with a sword while the player's charging his or her spur :eek:)

Every weapon has a strength and a weakness, while the nemisis' weakness is... ducks. Prehaps when you were to damage a player, he/she would drop 1exp shard for every 5-hp delt? The shard could be grabbed by either, or prehaps only the damage-giver... it'd be fun trying to avoid exp shards raining down at you while you blast away with the nemisis.

Another essence is invincibility. We don't want people to become invincible after every attack. The spur would only deal 4 damage with a max-shot. Maybe the game could check to see if a player is still 'taking' the damage.

May 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM
"..."
I think death match cave story like that would be really fun with unlimited (or extended) booster and lots of obstacles. Guns that suck like level 1 bubbler could do extra knock back, letting you shoot people into spikes or press's.

May 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
even better yet, ther ecould be an auto-download function that takes a sec to download the 'host's' map, and use it for the match. You could simply pull open Sue's workshop, make a map, save it seperatly as a map file, and open it up with the CaveStory Online... Then you could make maps ranging from a simple, 15x20 box, to a vast 100x100 laberynth.

Also, we could possibly have "spawn point" for capsules that hold a random item... such as a heart (heals 10hp), a heart-group (Heals 100hp), some exp shards, missiles, maybe even a few new tricks like a 'blinder' (all opponents are surrouned by darkness, leaving a 5x5 visibility circle), a 'teleporter' (all opponents swap locations at random, or maybe even a barrier, that could absorb all attacks for a limited amount of time (say... 15secs).

As for modifying weapons, you don't really need too. The polar star would be available to people who want a challenging fight, the fireball would be fun, firing off a cliff randomly, while your opponents have no idea where you are, the bubbler is a nice defence for defending against the sword, level 2/3 nemisis, polar star, fireball, possibly even missiles. The snake would pwn for large maze-like stages, while the super-missiles at level 3 would be deadly.

As for presses, they'd be a nuesence, dishing out an uneven number like 127. Maybe lowering the damage to a nice even 100? Even so, I don't think I would enjoy playing a stage with presses in it. You could be down to 50hp, a hit or so from your opponent would end the match, while at the same time you could win if you're stealthy... then BAM!! A press nails you.

Another Idea would be a possible weapon-switch in with the capsules. Maybe players COULD all use the same weapon... a mass missile barrage coming from all directions would be... interesting.

May 1, 2007 at 6:49 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well, you should be a little bit more realistic, this is nearly impossible... :eek:
I don't think anyone here can do this, because you need real assembly skill and in my opinion even not Runelancer who made a mod with shitloads of assembler can do this.
Anyhow I have hope, maybe Prof. Eich could do it, but he has got no time at this moment :p
Also Runelancer disappeared without any hint lol

No offense but, making a thread like this, is like asking "Can anyone here spent money for me?" I don't think anyone would do a hack like this because it's just too hard. So it become ridiculous :p

May 1, 2007 at 11:19 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It's still fun to think about.

May 1, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
Chaddykins said:
It's still fun to think about.

Which is surely true - yes. :eek:

May 2, 2007 at 5:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So many good ideas... so few programmers.
If I knew assembly, I'd take up any one of these projects. Giving out great ideas may spur someone who knows programming well to take up one of these jobs.

May 2, 2007 at 11:57 AM
"..."
Who said that Cave Story Online had to be a mod instead of a new game? :eek:

May 2, 2007 at 1:23 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Osmose said:
Who said that Cave Story Online had to be a mod instead of a new game? :eek:

I could make an online game that would support 2 players (maybe 4), and use the same sprites as in this game, but theres no way I would either A. Be able to make the game have the exact same feel B.Make it without any bugs C. Have enough time to recreate it perfectly if I was able to.

I would rather just make a brand new game, which I was doing (2 of them actually) until I had comp trouble and lost them both...