Making org music

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:59 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I thought we needed a general purpose thread on making and replacing music for CS, so here it is.

First of all, I had some trouble finding all the stuff you need to create org files, so I have collected all that I use here in this thread:

-------------------------------------------------
OrgMaker and translator: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php

IPSwin 2.0: http://zerosoft.zophar.net/ipswin.htm
(You need this, or something like it, to patch the translator to OrgMaker. This one is for Windows, I guess)

Resource hacker: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
(you know this one already)

Cave Story orgs: http://www.filespace.org/coolest_rm_ever/organya.zip
----------------------------------------------

Making music with the OrgMaker is easy enough once you know which buttons do what; Getting the org into the game is a bit more tricky, but not very complicated.
Apparently, you can somehow insert the whole thing directly into the code using an hex editor, but I find it easier (i.e, I can't even do the former) to use the resource hacker to replace the songs.
There might be some problems using this method, but so far, having replaced a grand total of one song, I haven't run into any yet.
I suspect there might be some trouble if you try replacing a short song with a longer one, though.

Here's how to do it:

p11463-0-2w7hh8x.jpg

Open up the .exe with the resource hacker and select the song you want to replace. (Some names differ from the official ones, but the download pack containing the original songs comes with a list of which is what.)
Right click and select Replace Resource

p11463-1-4cxdqq8.jpg

Find the org you want to use. make sure it has the same name as the one you're replacing.

p11463-2-347b4w3.jpg

write, in order:
ORG
[the name of the file] (example: DR)

And that's it. The song should be in CS now.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wasn't that already posted in a shitloads of threads? :p
But anyhow, thanks.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:59 PM
Ayup, spread out all over the place. I could only find the process I described in a single, short post, so I decided to gather it all here.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I promise that once I'm done with my bachelor's in CompSci I'll come back, optimize Orgasm, and make it better. :p

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:59 PM
I downloaded your beta of ORGasm.

It works as it should, mostly. There are a few features missing, which you're already aware of, but I like the larger interface and the coloured notes (and the red thingamajig!).

What's bugging me, though, is that to open files in ORGasm I need to have something called "gameshadow" installed. Essentially, it's spyware that supposedly keeps track of games and what versions of those you have installed to inform you of new patches.
Now, I know I haven't downloaded it (except just now to install it so I could uninstall it...), and it didn't come with ORGasm, so it must have been included with some game or something.
It's really ridiculous that I would need this junk to use your program. Any clue why this is the case? (ORG asks for a .msi file that comes with gameshadow and whose absence at first prevented me from removing it)

Blah. Anyway, does anyone know of a good, simple file uploading site?

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:34 AM
"..."
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I downloaded your beta of ORGasm.

It works as it should, mostly. There are a few features missing, which you're already aware of, but I like the larger interface and the coloured notes (and the red thingamajig!).

What's bugging me, though, is that to open files in ORGasm I need to have something called "gameshadow" installed. Essentially, it's spyware that supposedly keeps track of games and what versions of those you have installed to inform you of new patches.
Now, I know I haven't downloaded it (except just now to install it so I could uninstall it...), and it didn't come with ORGasm, so it must have been included with some game or something.
It's really ridiculous that I would need this junk to use your program. Any clue why this is the case? (ORG asks for a .msi file that comes with gameshadow and whose absence at first prevented me from removing it)

Blah. Anyway, does anyone know of a good, simple file uploading site?

That's.... very odd. There's two possibilities.

1.Orgasm uses a special control for the open and save dialogs - it's a common control that supposedly should be included in Windows, but apparently isn't. I found out about this and included a link on where to download it in the Readme that comes with the program. I've tested it on multiple computers and the download works fine.

2.Something to do with InstallShield, the program I used to make the installer. I have yet to hear anything about this, however.

What MSI file is it asking you for?

On another note, I'm proud of Orgasm for doing what it was supposed to do (It's the first program I've made that I completed to such a degree ;)), although it does it slowly, it's buggy, and lacks a lot of the extra features I wanted to include. The thing is, I'm a Senior in high school right now, I don't have enough experience with programming to optimize the program like I want to, and a combination of college worries, AP classes, a job, and becoming admin at another website I go to (And a coding project that's going to gear up there soon) have taken me away from Orgasm for the time being. I learned a lot making it, and after I know more, I'd definitely love to re-make it better and faster.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:54 PM
It's asking for gameshadow.msi.
I downloaded the file mentioned in the readme the first thing I did, but it didn't help.

I hope you can find the time and energy to your program

On another note; I've noticed that the first instrument in OrgMaker sounds a bit wonky (or am I imagining things?). Also, it looks like Pixel avoided using that instrument when making his music.
I wonder why it's like that.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM
"..."
That's odd. From what I can find Gameshadow is legitmate in what it does, but that's never perfectly reliable.

You're running this on XP, right? What exactly happens up to and during it asks you for gameshadow to be installed? This really worries me and I'd like to see if I can fix it. ;)

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM
diph.php

Doesn't help much, I think. That's what pops up when I click open. The same thing appeared when I tried to to uninstall gameshadow.
It seems like it wants to install gameshadow but can't find the .msi. When I do have it installed I can use Orgasm with no problems.

Yes, XP.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:40 PM
It didn't work. 'tis a mystery, like this tune:

http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/5136/wut.rar

I have no idea what it is supposed to be (thus the name), but I really felt I needed to actually make something instead of just mucking about in Orgmaker.
It's free to use, anyway.

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:28 AM
"..."
It could use some melodic tweaking, and a 5-bar loop is very awkward, but it's a decent start. The echo effect is nice - you've got potential.

As for Orgmaker... I don't know what to do. I can't edit the program because VB does not work on Vista, so... sorry. I wish I could help. :\

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
It could use some melodic tweaking, and a 5-bar loop is very awkward, but it's a decent start. The echo effect is nice - you've got potential.

Yeah, actually it's very nice! Fine that I'm not the only one who made a tune ;)

Osmose said:
As for Orgmaker... I don't know what to do. I can't edit the program because VB does not work on Vista, so... sorry. I wish I could help. :\

Well, why not completly rewrite it from scratch?

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:00 PM
"..."
I can't completely rewrite it for the same reason I stopped development on it.

The thing is, I'm a Senior in high school right now, I don't have enough experience with programming to optimize the program like I want to, and a combination of college worries, AP classes, a job, and becoming admin at another website I go to (And a coding project that's going to gear up there soon) have taken me away from Orgasm for the time being.

Not to mention that even if I did decide to remake the program, I'd have to use something besides Visual Basic 6, and I don't have enough experience with any mainstream languages yet to be at the level of Orgasm. And this all assumes I even know what the problem is - it appears to be the control, but that's really odd and shouldn't happen, and hasn't happened on every other computer I've installed it on.

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:26 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Microsoft Windows Installer = Monster

I know it is like an old thread but I have much to talk about the .msi problem.
Cheer there, it is not about your program nor any of them. The problem is either the windows installer (specified installer from Microsoft) or the one or some of the people who made their installer using windows installer. The problem happened from the registry. Windows Installer should have mixed some of the registry keys, values or whatever together mistakenly. For example, Some of MS Office data - which uses windows installer- mistakenly stored some registry stuff on SimplyCapture registry root and so on the odd stuff happened and might be happen horribly and I don't know how to fix this but only to format :o. I have this odd thing after installing some of windows installers. My last one is the installer which come with HP Deskjet F380 Printer. It keeps asking me to insert the CD (to load an .msi or more) to work . If I choosed "cancel", it will repeat asking me and then it won't work.

Almost or even all the computers at a college (My friend told me) get the odd message to insert CD for MS Office to run Windows Installer and copy files from it every time they run Word. Even thought that their computers have fresh copies of WinXP and they don't have many apps except some of which used to program .
I have tried registry cleaners like ccleaner and stuff like that but they couldn't fix the problem.

Doesn't Bill Gates know about this? This is getting old people.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'm curious, what's the preferred Org editor?
I've used OrgMaker before, but not Orgasm. I couldn't find a working link to test the Orgasm 0.7 beta, so I don't know if it's a good alternative to OrgMaker or not...

Thanks~

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Hoxtilicious
I prefer OrgMaker :o