I'm out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Ok guys, you did a great job I'm out!
Cya around later (maybe), I leave the forums now, see this thread.

It's true! I'll leave the forums now, maybe not forever thought.

Anyhow those are my last words/sentences:

Well, it was a kinda fun time here, I have to thank much people!
There are a few people who made this very special for me, those are:

SkyeWelse, Prof.Eich, Nator, Runelancer, Django Black Evil, xristosx, DoubleThink, X-Calibar, Kapow, Haithm, Neonlare and SeriousFace.
And also thanks to the other's!

So you maybe want to know the reason?

Well, it's mostly because I got annoyed by some people's ignorance, arrogance and disrespect with other member's or other member's opinions. People who can't accept other people won't release their information. Or even can't accept that someone want credit for his/her work. Just because people are lazy and want to get every advantage, they could have. And I'm kinda sure there are alot of people, who don't even want to use material of other people, they want the work to be "free" so everyone can use it just because its their opinion, how the thing should work...
But I also don't have much time, anymore at the moment.

So, I still will delete spam messages if I would be left as moderator.
Also if I get my mod updated or finished the Ikachan editor I will let your guys know, because I started those two things and owe you the updates.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I'm not sure what to say, but if you think you should leave for the time being, maybe it is for the best. I'll definitely miss seeing you around, but I think it's more important to get rid of the unneeded stress. This issue of protection of mod content is a difficult subject to tackle for sure and I know it has been causing you quite a bit of stress. We even created a poll to try and help see where the community lies in relation to this issue, but to be honest I've been been too busy with college to get back into that whole messy subject as of these days.

Thank you very much for being a great moderator and I apologize if placing that burden on you made your experience here at the forum less enjoyable. Don't worry about the spam messages, I'll do my best to take care of them while you are not here.

Just take care, cheer up and don't forget about us all. : )

-Thomas

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:18 AM
taifunbrowser
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"

:D And so the assembler locations of weapon / npc damage locations go undiscovered...

You were great while you were here; you contributed alot to my knowledge XD

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:36 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
ill miss you too, you were one of the people that replyed back most of the time and pointed out peoples mistakes :D

Mostly search function :p

also what pokemons ur pic now?

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:05 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
You are exaggerating a problem that barely exists. How many people have actually wittingly directly copied the work of another around here? As far as I know, no one has made a transgression any worse than that which any modder makes when they base their sprites on Pixels originals.
You make it sound like there's a rampant wave of plagiarism and theft going on...

Still, no matter anymore, I guess.
So long, your contribution to CS modding is appreciated.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:06 PM
Hoxtilicious
SkyeWelse said:
I'm not sure what to say, but if you think you should leave for the time being, maybe it is for the best. I'll definitely miss seeing you around, but I think it's more important to get rid of the unneeded stress. This issue of protection of mod content is a difficult subject to tackle for sure and I know it has been causing you quite a bit of stress.

Yes, well...
I hope the situation will be better when I'm back and let me know if you update the forum, maybe I could help.

SkyeWelse said:
Thank you very much for being a great moderator and I apologize if placing that burden on you made your experience here at the forum less enjoyable. Don't worry about the spam messages, I'll do my best to take care of them while you are not here.

No, it was great to be a moderator, it made it more enjoyable instead of less.

SkyeWelse said:
Just take care, cheer up and don't forget about us all. : )

I won't :p

xristosx said:
ill miss you too, you were one of the people that replyed back most of the time and pointed out peoples mistakes :p

Mostly search function

lol, yes :D

xristosx said:
also what pokemons ur pic now?

It's Gureishia (Glacia), or Glaceon. A new one, it's kinda cute ^_^

taifunbrowser said:
:( And so the assembler locations of weapon / npc damage locations go undiscovered...

I'm afraid yes.

taifunbrowser said:
You were great while you were here; you contributed alot to my knowledge XD

Thank you!

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
You are exaggerating a problem that barely exists. How many people have actually wittingly directly copied the work of another around here?.

I don't think I'm exaggerating anything, because posts like this really aren't nice :D

If someone worries about their stuff being stolen, it is a sign that they do their work for renown rather than for the love of modding or to entertain others.

This is annoying, just shut up about this, there's no ethics in modding.
just give credit where credit is due.

And, by the way, that's what I remember about runelancer. He knew his stuff, but he was very arrogant about it, and didn't really share his notes. He shared a few things he found, but it was by far the minority.
Like, he said he found out how bosses work in the exe, but then he never let anyone else know.
It always felt like he was saying "hey, look what I found! I won't tell you how it works, though, you're too stupid!"

Whining about some silly satire comic that has harmed your sensitive internet sensibilities.
The fact that you think the comics are offensive is just borderline pathetic...

Those post are really stupid and there are more of this, some people need to accept that other people want credit.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
So long, your contribution to CS modding is appreciated.

Thanks!

So this is my last post, I'll miss you all! Remember it's not forever.
And I hope the other guys really learn to be respectful and nice.

Wait for post 1000...

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM
Holy mother of Cod, that's no small number of quotes.

Anyway, I guess addressing your numerous complaints is a bit pointless if you really intend not to make that 1000th post this time around...
However, I'd like to point out that most of the quotes you brought here from other threads are either irrelevant or quoted out of context. Only the first one (by Osmose) actually has anything to do with content theft.

To me it seems like your problem is more that you can't stand that some people disagree with you than the real situation here concerning intellectual property. There has been no outright copying, only hypothetical discussions about copyright and some minor case with one member breaking some unwritten law about not recolouring other members sprites.
I don't see why you can't just protect your own stuff (as you did) and let everyone else have their own attitudes towards modding (as you don't).

Personally, I don't mind sharing some of what I've made and discovered. I'm here to play CS mods and tinker with the editor. The CS mod scene is tiny so if sharing knowledge and stuff helps make more mods reach completion I'm all for it.

I hope you'll think of all that whenever you come back.

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
It's sad that you think you have to go, but the reason is, as Orfvar has said, not a very good one. I hope at least you continue to work on your mod while you're away.

My prevailing point was that if you yourself worry about mod theft, than you yourself should find a way to protect your mod. There is no practical way to have others ensure that no one steals from your mod, and even so, it is none of their business whether you choose to protect your mod or not. I don't understand why the idea of a mod creator taking responsibility for their own mod troubles you enough to leave the site, when you're on of the most active members and help keep the site alive.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Perhaps this forum will calm down now.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:42 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
See ya later!
You won't be able to stay away long. :D

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I've never been one for finality as you may know, I come and go randomly :p
I think I understand some of the feelings behind why you are leaving [at least until the 1000th post!] besides 999 being a cool number :p

The things we do here should be about fun, and not a chore. I don't really know you, but your efforts, input and the time spent here is thanked! Pixel and those who translated it into english gave us a fun game to play, and thanks to those who contributed here personally made it even more fun for me. I'm still playing around in the world of Cave Story, and I still haven't played through all the mods yet; but if one day I finish the mod I started I must say it's thanks to creative people like you~!

Take care

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
POST 1000!

Well guys, im back, maybe it wasn't for long, but I just needed a outtime and don't knew how long it was taking... I think it was because, I got really annoyed and I calmed down now.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

Actually there are a lot more...

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Anyway, I guess addressing your numerous complaints is a bit pointless if you really intend not to make that 1000th post this time around...

Actually this is my 1000th post... Cheers :D

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
However, I'd like to point out that most of the quotes you brought here from other threads are either irrelevant or quoted out of context. Only the first one (by Osmose) actually has anything to do with content theft.

They aren't... I just have the feeling you didn't understand the reason why I needed a outtime.
Well, I made those posts anonymous and you posted one of the names lol...

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
To me it seems like your problem is more that you can't stand that some people disagree with you than the real situation here concerning intellectual property.

Well, whatever it seems to you, it isn't right :p

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
There has been no outright copying, only hypothetical discussions about copyright and some minor case with one member breaking some unwritten law about not recolouring other members sprites.

Huh? I never said I left because someone abused one pic or something.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I don't see why you can't just protect your own stuff (as you did) and let everyone else have their own attitudes towards modding (as you don't).

Why doing it the hard way, when there is a easy one?
Protecting it is not a easy step and it can be still ripped...
C'mon just have a simple rule about this and its all good.
I still like the "It's left to the author's" thing, because it's all good for everyone...

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Personally, I don't mind sharing some of what I've made and discovered.

Well, that's up to you :p I always sharing.

But if it's sprite or music work then I have another opinion, because sprite or music is a part of myself, a personal part. That's like someone uses your name without asking... I mean: I would be honored if someone asks me to build myself into his/her mod, but the other way round I would be kinda offended if he/she won't ask me before.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I'm here to play CS mods and tinker with the editor. The CS mod scene is tiny so if sharing knowledge and stuff helps make more mods reach completion I'm all for it.

Yep, but... I still think you may not push anyone to make him/her release his/her stuff.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

I'm back... And I'm thinking about it, but I still have my own opinion.

Osmose said:
It's sad that you think you have to go, but the reason is, as Orfvar has said, not a very good one. I hope at least you continue to work on your mod while you're away.

It wasn't a good reason for sure.

Osmose said:
My prevailing point was that if you yourself worry about mod theft, than you yourself should find a way to protect your mod. There is no practical way to have others ensure that no one steals from your mod, and even so, it is none of their business whether you choose to protect your mod or not.

ShInInG PhAnToM said:
I still like the "It's left to the author's" thing, because it's all good for everyone...

Osmose said:
I don't understand why the idea of a mod creator taking responsibility for their own mod troubles you enough to leave the site

ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Well, whatever it seems to you, it isn't right ;)

Osmose said:
when you're on of the most active members and help keep the site alive.

Thanks, anyhow you're right... We really need active members here :/

X-Calibar said:
I've never been one for finality as you may know, I come and go randomly :p
I think I understand some of the feelings behind why you are leaving [at least until the 1000th post!] besides 999 being a cool number :p

Well I'm back ;P I just had to tell because I don't knew it long it would take...

X-Calibar said:
The things we do here should be about fun, and not a chore.

Work can be also fun that's why I'm modding ;P

X-Calibar said:
I don't really know you, but your efforts, input and the time spent here is thanked! ... I must say it's thanks to creative people like you~!

Thanks!

ShInInG PhAnToM said:
But if it's sprite or music work then I have another opinion, because sprite or music is a part of myself, a personal part. That's like someone uses your name without asking... I mean: I would be honored if someone asks me to build myself into his/her mod, but the other way round I would be kinda offended if he/she won't ask me before.

Well you're right the reason why I started modding was fun, but it isn't fun anymore if my things getting abused...

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Bah.
For a moderator you are certainly inept at constructing proper replies. I'm not going to give an answer to that mess.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Bah.
For a moderator you are certainly inept at constructing proper replies. I'm not going to give an answer to that mess.

For a member you have got really big requirements.
Anyhow, your post sounds like a reproof.

Answer detailed to 3 posts isn't easy :p
But here is the part I used to answer to your post:

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

Actually there are a lot more...

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

Actually this is my 1000th post... Cheers :p

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

They aren't... I just have the feeling you didn't understand the reason why I needed a outtime.
Well, I made those posts anonymous and you posted one of the names lol...

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
To me it seems like your problem is more that you can't stand that some people disagree with you than the real situation here concerning intellectual property.

Well, whatever it seems to you, it isn't right :p

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
There has been no outright copying, only hypothetical discussions about copyright and some minor case with one member breaking some unwritten law about not recolouring other members sprites.

Huh? I never said I left because someone abused one pic or something.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Personally, I don't mind sharing some of what I've made and discovered.

Well, that's up to you ;) I always sharing.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I'm here to play CS mods and tinker with the editor. The CS mod scene is tiny so if sharing knowledge and stuff helps make more mods reach completion I'm all for it.

Yep, but... I still think you may not push anyone to make him/her release his/her stuff.

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

I'm back... And I'm thinking about it, but I still have my own opinion.

And if you still think this is bad or something then it seems you are just too lazy to read a piece of text.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:29 PM
Slacker
Dang and here I was thinking we'd get more than a few days peace.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Hoxtilicious
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
You are amazing.

Oh yes, keep your sarcasm ok? Thanks, bye! :p

Chaddykins said:
Dang and here I was thinking we'd get more than a few days peace.

I think it's really provocative that you denote me as some kind of disputatious idoit.

It seems I'm not welcome here :p

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:24 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
It's nice that you're back, although I was expecting a bit of a longer absence than that. :p

How do you suppose we impose a rule that is fair to everyone? Or, for that matter, a rule that is any more effective than leaving the responsibility of protecting content up to the creator? A list of mods simply is more-organized version of the mod forum. A "watch" that points out when resources are stolen already exists - anyone who recognizes content will most likely point it out on their own. Anything more than that, such as *requiring* mod protection, is a burden on the mod developer.

Any possible rule you could implement would do nothing in practice - you cannot stop someone from taking screenshots or stealing music and graphics files without mod protection, and you can't require that in good conscience. It's not a matter of whether people should share their resources or not, it's a matter of how there is no practical way to do what you want. Let alone the argument about whether it's really our right to choose for everyone.

...why did you respond to your own quote? :p

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
It's nice that you're back, although I was expecting a bit of a longer absence than that. ;)

Yep lol
Well, I just needed a little out time and I dunno for how long, it was more random I think that I'm just back that early :p

Osmose said:
How do you suppose we impose a rule that is fair to everyone? Or, for that matter, a rule that is any more effective than leaving the responsibility of protecting content up to the creator?

Is there one who is more effective? I don't think so... The thing is both opinions/sides have to be respected :p

Actually:
57% for crediting and asking
43% for public domain

So I think, there is no undisputed majority...

Osmose said:
A list of mods simply is more-organized version of the mod forum. A "watch" that points out when resources are stolen already exists - anyone who recognizes content will most likely point it out on their own.

Well, a list would be no problem, I could simply make this. Just a sticky thread.

Osmose said:
Anything more than that, such as *requiring* mod protection, is a burden on the mod developer.

Yes and Sue's Workshop doesn't support this yet...

Osmose said:
Any possible rule you could implement would do nothing in practice - you cannot stop someone from taking screenshots or stealing music and graphics files without mod protection, and you can't require that in good conscience.

Mod proection isn't figured yet, figure it out and make a editor for it and I'll say it's a better way.

Osmose said:
It's not a matter of whether people should share their resources or not, it's a matter of how there is no practical way to do what you want. Let alone the argument about whether it's really our right to choose for everyone.

Just remove the download link of the mod in the forums, whats so hard?

Osmose said:
...why did you respond to your own quote? :p

I answered with my own quote.

Edit: Since your guys doesn't seem to want any thing that goes in that direction instead of the hard way I'll give up. But I'm not the one who'll figure it out since I have other things to do.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Slacker
Yay. Another thread that has changed to "dont steel mah mod stuf"

Status
Not open for further replies.