Org2Text Converter

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Are you tired of OrgMaker? Do you want a simple text music language that can be compiled to Organya files? Well, now you can do just that!

Org2Text 1.1
Org2Text 1.0

Org2Text is a program written in Mint, a language of my own creation, that transforms Organya files into human readable music text files and vice versa. You can write your music into text files and transform them into .org files later. This makes it easy to turn sheet music into orgs. You can also analyze existing orgs by turning them into text.

Download includes a tutorial file and also comes with DesireDrive.org.

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I haven't gotten a chance to open it up and dig into the application file yet, but skimmed through the readme and it looks like a pretty cool idea! I like what I see so far and will give a further review when I do get a chance to take the program for a test drive.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
When testing the ORG to TXT conversion, I noticed the following problems:
  • The Org version number in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says the Org version is 2, even if the new OrgMaker 2 drums are used. (When you use the new drums in OrgMaker 2, it saves the file with "Org-03" at the beginning.)
  • The tempo in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says 128.
  • The time signature in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says 4/4.
  • The repeat range in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says the repeat range is measure 0 to 255 (and beat 0 to 4080).
  • If the ORG file contains exactly one note, the text file will always say the note is "C0 : 0 : 0 : 0" no matter what.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Not anymore
When testing the ORG to TXT conversion, I noticed the following problems:
  • The Org version number in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says the Org version is 2, even if the new OrgMaker 2 drums are used. (When you use the new drums in OrgMaker 2, it saves the file with "Org-03" at the beginning.)
  • The tempo in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says 128.
  • The time signature in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says 4/4.
  • The repeat range in the ORG file seems to be ignored, the text file always says the repeat range is measure 0 to 255 (and beat 0 to 4080).
  • If the ORG file contains exactly one note, the text file will always say the note is "C0 : 0 : 0 : 0" no matter what.

Okay, I fixed those bugs you mentioned.
Version 1.1

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Well phooey. I said that I would review it, but I have a Mac which means I'm trying to run it on Wineskin. Apparently Wineskin doesn't like .bat files, so when I tried to run this application I got a message saying that Wine couldn't figure out what was going on with life.

p153378-0-picture1.png

Well, at any rate, it looks like a great idea and I wish I had software that could run this program to give it a try for real. I saw that there is a .jar file in there, too, and my java is out of date because my computer is a 6-year old dinosaur; I don't know if that might have anything to do with it, too. Sad day. :(

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Not anymore
Well phooey. I said that I would review it, but I have a Mac which means I'm trying to run it on Wineskin. Apparently Wineskin doesn't like .bat files, so when I tried to run this application I got a message saying that Wine couldn't figure out what was going on with life.

p153378-0-picture1.png

Well, at any rate, it looks like a great idea and I wish I had software that could run this program to give it a try for real. I saw that there is a .jar file in there, too, and my java is out of date because my computer is a 6-year old dinosaur; I don't know if that might have anything to do with it, too. Sad day. :(

As long as you have Java 5+ you should be fine.

You might want to try a Mac shell script instead of a batch file. Copy this into some file and execute it as a script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

java -jar Org2Text.jar
echo "[Program Finished]"
read nothing

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:43 AM

As long as you have Java 5+ you should be fine.

I do have Java 5, so maybe that's not my problem. Rather,

Carrotlord said:

You might want to try a Mac shell script instead of a batch file. Copy this into some file and execute it as a script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

java -jar Org2Text.jar
echo "[Program Finished]"
read nothing

my problem might be that I don't really know what that means. I googled around a bit and I think I almost have an idea about what I'm supposed to do. I copied the code block into a blank text document, made it a command file, and tried to run it in Terminal. When I do so, it says "Unable to access jarfile Org2Text.jar". Any thoughts? I really don't know what I'm doing here, so maybe there's just no hope for me unless I figure out how programming and Java and such work...?

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM
Not anymore
Mosaic said:
I do have Java 5, so maybe that's not my problem. Rather,

my problem might be that I don't really know what that means. I googled around a bit and I think I almost have an idea about what I'm supposed to do. I copied the code block into a blank text document, made it a command file, and tried to run it in Terminal. When I do so, it says "Unable to access jarfile Org2Text.jar". Any thoughts? I really don't know what I'm doing here, so maybe there's just no hope for me unless I figure out how programming and Java and such work...?

It's saying that it can't find the jarfile. Make sure you're in the correct folder. Namely the one the JAR is in. Move the terminal file into the JAR's folder, and execute it there.

If that still doesn't work, try:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd "<Put Folder Path of JAR Here>"
java -jar Org2Text.jar
echo "[Program Finished.]"
read nothing

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM
Maybe I'm just a lost cause. Here's my code for the command file

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd "/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/Org2Text.jar"
java -jar Org2Text.jar
read nothing

and here's what I get when I try to run it, basically the same problem as before.

Code:
Last login: Wed Jun 27 22:02:49 on ttys000
/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command ; exit;
Macintosh-156:~ brianmartinez$ /Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command ; exit;
/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command: line 3: cd: /Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/Org2Text.jar: Not a directory
Unable to access jarfile Org2Text.jar
[Program Finished.]

The command file is in the same folder as the .jar file, so I don't know why that should be a problem. But then again, it also says that the place where the .jar file is isn't a directory, even though it definitely is; I got the location by dragging the file into a terminal window so that it would spit out the directory at me, and then I pasted that directly into the command file.

So I don't know. I know you probably have better things to do than troubleshoot for me. I appreciate your help and wish that I could give the program a shot, but I have no idea why it's not cooperating. Other than the fact that I'm on a Mac.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Not anymore
Maybe I'm just a lost cause. Here's my code for the command file

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd "/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/Org2Text.jar"
java -jar Org2Text.jar
read nothing

and here's what I get when I try to run it, basically the same problem as before.

Code:
Last login: Wed Jun 27 22:02:49 on ttys000
/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command ; exit;
Macintosh-156:~ brianmartinez$ /Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command ; exit;
/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/RunOrg2Text.command: line 3: cd: /Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1/Org2Text.jar: Not a directory
Unable to access jarfile Org2Text.jar
[Program Finished.]

The command file is in the same folder as the .jar file, so I don't know why that should be a problem. But then again, it also says that the place where the .jar file is isn't a directory, even though it definitely is; I got the location by dragging the file into a terminal window so that it would spit out the directory at me, and then I pasted that directly into the command file.

So I don't know. I know you probably have better things to do than troubleshoot for me. I appreciate your help and wish that I could give the program a shot, but I have no idea why it's not cooperating. Other than the fact that I'm on a Mac.

Java should work on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

One problem is that you're trying to cd into the .jar. Don't do that. Cd into the directory that contains the jar.
In other words:

Code:
cd "/Applications/A-games/Cave_Story/Music/Org2Text1v1"