How and why Ironhead and Ika are in the Waterway

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
First off I'll note: spoilers for Ikachan, for anyone who hasn't played it.

Facts:
In Ikachan, many characters lament being cut off from the ocean, meaning they used to live in it (or be able to access it)

At the end of the game, they escape the cave in with a ship that takes them into space.

In Cave Story the medal you get be beating Ironhead with no damage is called the Alien medal.

Theory:
Ikachan does not take place on the same planet the island of Cave Story is floating over. The spaceship left their world and reached the planet of Cave Story, landing (crashing?) on the floating island. and those that were onboard settled there.

Problem:
The puffers didn't get on the ship.

Discuss! :mrgreen:

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:29 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Pufferfish= Evolved Chinfish adapted for survival in the island's waterway

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
We'll say for the sake of argument that there's a reason they're there besides that Pixel wanted to put something in from another game of his. And that it isn't just called the Alien medal in the english translation because it's alien to Cave Story.

With that logic, yeah. Maybe they crashlanded. Or maybe all of Ikachan takes place in the waterway....Just in parts that we didn't see in CS! It all makes sense now!

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Puffers do appear in the ironhead boss I just did it

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
First off I'll note: spoilers for Ikachan, for anyone who hasn't played it. Facts: In Ikachan, many characters lament being cut off from the ocean, meaning they used to live in it (or be able to access it) At the end of the game, they escape the cave in with a ship that takes them into space. In Cave Story the medal you get be beating Ironhead with no damage is called the Alien medal. Theory: Ikachan does not take place on the same planet the island of Cave Story is floating over. The spaceship left their world and reached the planet of Cave Story, landing (crashing?) on the floating island. and those that were onboard settled there. Problem: The puffers didn't get on the ship. Discuss! :mrgreen:
I have never played Ikachan before, but my theory is that they lived in an ocean near the kingdom Ballos destroyed, and when Jenka sealed him away, she accidentally sealed the Ikachan too.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Veteran Member
maybe all of Ikachan takes place in the waterway....Just in parts that we didn't see in CS! It all makes sense now!
That's what I initially thought as I played the game. But the repeated references to the cavern being originally connected to the sea and the ending changed my mind.

my theory is that they lived in an ocean near the kingdom Ballos destroyed, and when Jenka sealed him away, she accidentally sealed the Ikachan too.
How would you conciliate that with fact two?
At the end of the game, they escape the cave in with a ship that takes them into space.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM
The Eternal Darkness
As I said, I never played Ikachan before. Maybe the spaceship came to the ocean near that kingdom before Ballos destroyed it. I double-read everything, so the ship part slipped my mind.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Veteran Member
Ah, so you say they went to live in an ocean next to Ballos' kingdom AFTER the events in Ikachan's game, is that right?

That's a plausible theory, yes.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Another theory, if I may. Maybe the planet where Ikachan was was in another dimension? The ship flew through the portal, and crashed in the floating island, causing a quake that broke some of those broken chains in Cave Story. The crash opened a way into the waterway (the waterway has a big part of solid walls, and so does the Labyrinth part before the core) and as they managed to enter the Waterway, Jenka sealed the damage they accidentally caused. Ironhead then vowed that anyone who dares get close to him will receive death if they aren't from their dimension.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Does anyone think that the word "cameo" should play a prominent role in this thread?

May 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WELL
They might have been set there to guard the waterway, maybe by Jenka, or maybe Misery. The Doctor might have, but i like my main 2 people are who i'm sticking with.