Misery is half-mimiga!

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been playing this game for a many years now, and a set of facts suddenly occurred to me last night indicating that Misery might very well be half-mimiga. Submitted for your approval:

・Skin color・
Every human in the game (robots notwithstanding) is colored with a fleshy skin color. The exception to this would be Misery, who's "skin" is paper white. The only other characters in this game with the same white coloring (robots once again notwithstanding) are the mimigas.

・Father・
Misery's mother is clearly and repeatedly identified, but her father isn't so much as alluded to even. Granted he may well just not be involved in the fourth Crownholder incident and may well be human, but where's the fun in assuming that? ;)

・Red Petal・
Near the end of the game, the doctor states very clearly that "Unlike the flowers, (the) Crystal will affect humans as well." With this in mind consider that earlier, when the Doctor and Misery were in the Storehouse discussing the red flowers, Misery asked "Shall I consume one as a test?"

I also have a theory concerning who her father could be, but we'll get to that if we get to that.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I read the thread title and immediately thought "JenkaxMimiga", which is horrifying in so many ways I can't even begin to comprehend.

I approve of this theory

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Awesome theory! I always thought that her skin was just pale, but yeah, with the, "shall I consume one as a test" thing, that's fairly likely! You get a cookie!
cookie.png

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
I read the thread title and immediately thought "JenkaxMimiga", which is horrifying in so many ways I can't even begin to comprehend.

I immediately love you. :heart:

jed37 said:
Awesome theory! I always thought that her skin was just pale, but yeah, with the, "shall I consume one as a test" thing, that's fairly likely! You get a cookie!
cookie.png

D'aww, thank you-- Oohchocolatechips :pignon:

EDIT: Oh hay there's an edit button here. Thanks, Noxid!

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Misery has the ability to turn people into mimigas. Therefore she could have messed the spell up when she first tried it. This theory is only to comfort Noxid.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I doubt the chromosomes of a mimiga and a human would match correctly to produce offspring. It would be like having sex with a dog and expecting to give birth to some abomination with features both human and canine.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
WoodenRat said:
abomination with features both human and canine.

Hating on furries again.

Well, this theory sort of makes sense, but I would think that she would appear more frenzied-Mimiga-like when she is affected by the red crystal. Maybe she has another creature inside her, thus making her look more lizard like. The red flowers would affect other creatures other than mimiga, right?

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I didn't even consider that until you mentioned it, thank you for the nightmares noxid. :heart:
I don't think she's half mimiga, unless it was some sort of accident caused by the mimiga spell like Matt's idea. I think that she just spends too much time in a network of caves, far away from the sun. Therefore she is as pale as I am now, never going outside :pignon:
(Strange thought occurred to me. Misery slapping on sunscreen every five minutes when she's at the kings table or wherever you fight her.)

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The only "hole" in this theory that I see is where it takes into consideration that Misery said "shall I consume one as a test?". In the wii version (which was supposed to have a more accurate translation) she says "Would you like to eat one?". The fact that this was translated differently suggests that in the original Japanese version, the subject was omitted from the sentence, which would've resulted in a literal translation of "Eat one?".

It's odd that she would offer one to the doctor or herself, since they're both supposedly human.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Pirate Member
So what you're saying is, it's the fault of the translators? Right GIR?

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
So what you're saying is, it's the fault of the translators? Right GIR?

I'm saying it probably wasn't explicitly stated that misery offered to try a flower. I'd bet that the Aeon Genesis translation embellished the script a bit more, like the whole "as a test" thing.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Pirate Member
Can't trust anyone these days.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Interesting theory, but I see Gir has already brought up how Japanese could possibly be translated differently, referencing the WiiWare port.

/This post marks my return from two-week overnight camp

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Cave Story said:
Interesting theory, but I see Gir has already brought up how Japanese could possibly be translated differently, referencing the WiiWare port.

/This post marks my return from two-week overnight camp

(Welcome back)

It's either bad translation, or simply bad writing by Pixel.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dante Edward said:
・Skin color・
Every human in the game (robots notwithstanding) is colored with a fleshy skin color. The exception to this would be Misery, who's "skin" is paper white. The only other characters in this game with the same white coloring (robots once again notwithstanding) are the mimigas.
Mimigas have white fur. You never see their skin colour. Furthermore Misery likely has white skin due to not being in the sun. She spends years in hibernation between bearers in a cold dark room.

Dante Edward said:
・Father・
Misery's mother is clearly and repeatedly identified, but her father isn't so much as alluded to even. Granted he may well just not be involved in the fourth Crownholder incident and may well be human, but where's the fun in assuming that? ;)
Why would he be involved? Misery was born before the crown was even formed.

Dante Edward said:
・Red Petal・
Near the end of the game, the doctor states very clearly that "Unlike the flowers, (the) Crystal will affect humans as well." With this in mind consider that earlier, when the Doctor and Misery were in the Storehouse discussing the red flowers, Misery asked "Shall I consume one as a test?"
I would agree with everyone in regards to the WiiWare script. It tends to be more accurate. And it is likely that Misery hoped the Red Flower would kill the Doctor and release her from her service to the crown. Take note of the facepic when she says it. But just to be sure here is the original Japanese dialogue:
ドクター様…
試しに食べてみますか?

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
I would agree with everyone in regards to the WiiWare script. It tends to be more accurate. But just to be sure here is the original Japanese dialogue:
ドクター様…
試しに食べてみますか?

Yeah the subject of the sentence isn't explicitly stated, but I would have to side with the wiiware translation on this one since she starts by saying "Doctor". It could still go both ways though. Literal translation (from my limited knowledge):

"Doctor-sama...
As a test, try to eat?"

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
In most cases, I prefer an embellished translation. Sure, the mica is translation may be more "accurate" in the sense of word for word, but they are in most cases less "accurate" in that the characters are bland and don't sound like a native speaker.

For example, in Spanish "por favor" literally means "by favor," but no English speaker would say that. "Adios" literally means "with god," but nobody would say that. In general, direct translations are considered worse, because the translators put less effort into determining what native speakers would say.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Hm.
It's an interesting concept either way, but I agree that the WiiWare script is probably more accurate.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I agree that the wiiware script is probably more awful

But this thread isn't supposed to be about the wiiware script

It's about wondering how misery hides her long floppy ears

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
She paints her ears blue.
Er, green.