Save points on the island

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Save points on the island.

So we all know that we use the Save Points in Cave Story to save. But are the Mimiga, other robots, etc able to see (or use) the Save points?

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Solike, the giant spinning floppies are alternate universe portals, which reset upon Quote dying? And his memories are kept somehow?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
well I think they are made with powerfull magic that they can copy all memories weapon energy and ammo on it. and if died it creates a new vessel to store that data in so that if the user died a new one is summoned.
Dunno who created them though but my best bet are either Jenka or Ballos before he went nuts(doubt after even if he wants to die because if he did use he'd just be revived which he doesn't want obviously)

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
If I had to guess, the most logical answer would mabye be time travel which is triggered by his death. So whenever you save you set a marker or such in the space-time continuum, or something like that.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No. I get the impression that the save point is a gameplay element and exists outside of the game's story.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM
LSD
"..."
Quote is able to interact with objects not in his dimentional plane. Those sve points being in a different one than him, he essencially could use it, but no one else.
Thats my guess ._.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm guessing only the player can see them.
Once you die it's over, the story is done.
For example when you fall to your death, it's stated that you were never heard from again, implying that you died and time pasted after your death, also, you're given a choice to respawn or not, so it's not possible that the Save Points are ingame machines, unlike Vita Chambers in Bioshock which bring you back to life automatically.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
When you die, the game physics cease to function, and the fourth wall no longer exists. So, it becomes no problem to turn back the clock a bit, no matter how impossible it would be in the game world.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
jed37 said:
When you die, the game physics cease to function, and the fourth wall no longer exists. So, it becomes no problem to turn back the clock a bit, no matter how impossible it would be in the game world.

That too.

By the way,

They're coming to take me away HAHA!
They're coming to take me away HOHO, HEEHEE.
HAHA!

To the funny farm.
Where life is beautiful all the time,
and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Nice.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
andwhyisit said:
No. I get the impression that the save point is a gameplay element and exists outside of the game's story.

Whaaaaat?? C'mon Andwhy, use your imagination! How do the Save Points revolve around the story? Mabye they were once robots that got destroyed and someone built them into rotating floppy disks?!?

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
All I can say is that it's pretty bad if Quote is able to back himself up on a floppy disc. Those things have very little memory.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The one he's using is at least 8 inches tho, so that's 500kB tops.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well it's a good thing Quote doesn't have much memory either :D

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
And who says it is just saved on 1 disk so for all we know the one we see tells the other floppy's where to send the data to while the data itself is spread amongst them with zipping tools and such

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Maybe Quote clones himself each time you save.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
WoodenRat said:
Maybe Quote clones himself each time you save.

If Quote cloned himself, wouldn't you see the cloning happening?? But if there was cloning Quote should duplicate himself hundreds of times to create an ultimate army of Quotes, since there is no limit to how many times you can save.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
All I can say is that it's pretty bad if Quote is able to back himself up on a floppy disc. Those things have very little memory.

But, the floppy in the game is the size of Quote...

If the save points were usable by anyone, then King probably didn't have to die. But, since he does... I would say, only Quote can see and use them. It's the same way that he can make missiles appear out of dead things, and hearts and energy stuff...

If I had to guess... I'd say Quote is controlled by the player, and his fate is up to you. In the world he lives in, he does things natually, and talks to people as would be expected. However, the things he does is not really up to him. We know, that Quote is actually just being manipulated to our whim! Whether he is a hero or a zero.. it's not Quote that decides that...
It's fate! Us! It doesn't end there...

Even now, we're being controlled to do things beyond our control... It seems very natural to us... but did you ever question... Why did I do that? You can reason it out... but the truth is ... SOMEONE MADE YOU DO IT!

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
According to the size of profile.dat Quote doesn't take up much memory at all. You could back him up on a standard 3 1/4 inch floppy. :p

Wait..? 3 1/4 inch floppies.. data corruption.. memory loss.. EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW! :(

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I agree with andwhy. They seem like something that's not really part of the game, rather as something that exists only for the player and quote to see.