Quote and Curly: Light As Air?

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Yesterday I was thinking on how Quote runs around with Curly on his back, and it occurred to me that, even with a whole other person strapped to him, his speed and acceleration don't change in the slightest. This applies to both running by foot and booster flight. From a physics perspective, that makes no sense. I'm going to assume that the booster doesn't magically decide thrust harder/Quote doesn't get stronger, more speedy legs whenever he has Curly, in which case the increased mass should slow him down.

The only conclusion I can think of (other than 'why would you want to program that, it would just annoy the player') is that Quote and/or Curly are made of an extremely light alloy, something that weighs virtually nothing but still has remarkable durability. Curly would have to be made of this mystery alloy for the constant speeds to make sense, though whether or not Quote is made of it too, I'm not sure. I did a quick test with those green guys that run back and forth on the plantation, and they can knock Quote about five tiles sideways. Seems like a pretty decent distance to me, so I'm going to guess he is made of the alloy.

Discuss.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think that maybe quote was just never jumping as high as he could in the first place, and that naturally he may be able to jump higher than the 3 blocks he normally does.

Also gravity seems to be less in the game than on earth, which gives the physics that floaty feeling.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:57 PM
"..."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I think that maybe quote was just never jumping as high as he could in the first place, and that naturally he may be able to jump higher than the 3 blocks he normally does.

Also gravity seems to be less in the game than on earth, which gives the physics that floaty feeling.

It seems odd that he would choose to not jump at his full potential. Same with running. Even if that was the case, that doesn't explain why the booster would be just as fast. Also, the strength of gravity is irrelevant; all objects experience the same downward acceleration due to the gravitational pull of a planet (on earth it's 9.8m/s^2 until wind resistance kicks in and you hit terminal velocity).

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Maybe curly connects to him like a battery, and with more power at his disposal he can boost the same/jump the same?

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Strength of an ant

Don't forget he also carried the puppies just the same as Curly, without any speed differences. {And they're apparently nearly as big as him, in response to your thought "They're just puppies."}
So either the dogs are also as light as air, or it's something else entirely.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Been here way too long...
Cripplechair said:
until wind resistance kicks in and you hit terminal velocity.
weeel, it's more like a = 9.809 - bv, where b is wind resistance. Terminal velocity occurs when 9.809 = bv, which never actually occurs because the acceleration gets smaller and smaller as bv approaches 9.809. That is, speed is asymptotic to terminal velocity, it doesn't just stop when it hits it. (CS physics ignore this entirely, which is why this is a semi-silly discussion. The whole world is screwed up, so talking on a single odd point is dither.)

ANYWAYS

The only reasonable explanation (that also works for puppies, items, etc) is that quote is extremely, extremely, extremely heavy. So hevay that anything else placed upon him would cause an imperceptible difference in weight (by percentage) and thus an imperceptible difference in speed.

Also he has weak little arms and an amazing amount of wind resistance.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM
"..."
Lace said:
The only reasonable explanation (that also works for puppies, items, etc) is that quote is extremely, extremely, extremely heavy. So heavy that anything else placed upon him would cause an imperceptible difference in weight (by percentage) and thus an imperceptible difference in speed.

Also he has weak little arms and an amazing amount of wind resistance.

That sounds like the best bet when you factor in the puppies, although then enemies that knock you sideways (like the green buggers on the plantation) would have to have ABSURD strength. Although, if he was that heavy, you'd think that the ground would shake every time you land a jump (or at least hear a thud).

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:29 AM
Cripplechair;128567You'd think that the ground would shake every time you land a jump.[/QUOTE said:
Ah, but remember that the island is suspended in a fluid. Any force applied to the ground moves the island as a whole, and the vibrations are dispersed into the air. So every time quote jumps, he brings the island closer to crashing, but at least he doesn't cause an earthquake.

Another possibility is that everything else is light as air.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:36 AM
"..."
Lace said:
Ah, but remember that the island is suspended in a fluid. Any force applied to the ground moves the island as a whole, and the vibrations are dispersed into the air. So every time quote jumps, he brings the island closer to crashing, but at least he doesn't cause an earthquake.

Doesn't Balrog shake the ground when he lands at some point?

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:41 AM
He summons demons to hold the island in place for dramatic effect.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Or maybe quote IS more powerfull and could jump higher and carry bigger things but doesnt increase the outputs so not to overload.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Don't behemoths sorta make everything rumble too?

Also Lace stop being so smart and physics-y

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:57 AM
I was going to spoiler it so I didn't offend your delicate tastes, but it was just sooooooooooooo incorrect that I HAD to point it out all noticeable like.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:03 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Maybe the booster is just so powerful, that the weight of Curly does not affect it, and quote picks up the pace and puts more effort into jumping which just so happens to give him as much height as normal. He gives more effort to impress Curly because he is a male and she is a female... robot. He didn't know he was a robot at first so I'm sure he feels an need to impress her.

I have spoken.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Re: Strength of an ant

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Don't forget he also carried the puppies just the same as Curly, without any speed differences. {And they're apparently nearly as big as him, in response to your thought "They're just puppies."}
So either the dogs are also as light as air, or it's something else entirely.
The proportions in the in-game art overrule this.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:18 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Objection

thecrown said:
The proportions in the in-game art overrule this.
What proportions? There's nothing to say the proportions are wrong except the official artwork by Pixel, and if you check, those are some really big puppies, big enough to still qualify their size ingame.
If Pixel wanted them smaller, he would've and could've drawn them smaller ingame, they'd just've had less detail.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Re: Objection

The puppies are Jenka's, right?
She did want you to carry them...
A Witch Did It.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Someone once informed me about anti-gravity sweaters... I wasn't sure what they meant at the time; but perhaps Quote has limited anti-gravity capabilities built-in. If not his hat, it could be inside him...

Curly seems to be even better than Quote in this regard [or it could be unrelated], since during the Labyrinth fight, Curly demonstrates she can jump higher than Quote.

Also, at the end of the game, normal ending. Quote jumps off the edge of the island...
And... ... ...
the island falls and hits the ground!!! *BOOM*

Then we notice Quote is still falling... o_O
Kazuma caught Sue already, so she could have fallen much faster.
Kazuma saw Quote falling slower? So it was easy to catch him?

Alternatively, Ballos' influence caused the island to accelerate faster than normal falling speed.
Or perhaps the event's timing is just mixed up for dramatic effect.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
They`re made in the West from cheap light materials ;P
If they had been made in Soviet Russia they`d be heavy as hell since they didn`t saved on material and quality (our 50 y.o bike is still kickin` as new). On the other hand they`d probably be as heavy they couldn`t even move much :p

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Quote is EXTREMELY heavy. He can't swim. In fact, he sinks rapidly to the bottom of the water in all but the fastest of currents.

Perhaps the boosters create a localized gravity field combined with rocket thrust. Net effect: weight is irrelevant.