Free games on steam

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Jun 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM
meep
I tried Alliance of Valiant Arms, it was pretty meh.
Imagine graphics comparable to an early/mid X360 or PS3 game, mixed with jumpy, awful gun physics from a failed HL1 mod. I think I'll stick to Combat Arms when it comes to F2P shooters.

Also gonna give Spiral Knights a shot at some point.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Marx said:
Come on what are YOU waiting for get the free* games NOW!

fix'd
f2p != free in my opinion.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM
I tried spiral knights and it was a nice way of burning time.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Been here way too long...
These had better be pretty outstanding games if I'm going to play a F2P MMO.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Member Title
I have about two hours of spiral knight gameplay as of now (I'm going to play it later today when I have the time.) If anyone's interested in playing with me, just send a friend request to GoldenGamer789 (my avatar is Quote) and we can negotiate times from there.

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Been playing Global Adgenda. Its pretty BA. Tryed out Spiral Knights (mostly just to get the hat for Team Fortress 2), and its pretty fun. Gonna need to play it more though. Good way to kill time (besides Minecraft, but that kills HOURS at a time instead).

Free weekend (for the whole week) of Team Fortress 2 (if this counts to the thread :)). Add me on steam and play with me on it

Steam ID: Sindiewen

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Tf2 costs as much as Terraria.
Just buy it already, I'd say all 160 hours I have on it are fully worth it, and I bought it when it was $20.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
cultr1 said:
Tf2 costs as much as Terraria.
Just buy it already, I'd say all 160 hours I have on it are fully worth it, and I bought it when it was $20.

330 hours for me, and I got it with the Orange Box on the PC january 2008.
Man was it worth it

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Spiral Knights is a good time killer with friends. But it does have a huge flaw.

The whole energy system. You start with 100 energy (basically, the currency of the game..but not for buying items) and it depletes from crafting items, going down levels in the Clockworks, and reviving yourself when you die. This is a huge flaw because it makes game play very, very limited. If you conserve your energy, you can basically only go down 10 levels a day. You regain energy at a rate of 1 energy every 13 minutes. Which basically means to fully replenish your energy, you need to wait 24 hours.

This is extra inconvenient because yesterday when playing, me and Ralren finally got down to a boss. We couldn't take it on our own..we needed more people. But we died. Yeah. We just spent at least 50 energy for it. But we had a lot more because we did what I'll go over next.

The game is very sneaky. You have to pay real money to get more energy and fully enjoy the game. He paid 5 dollars to get 750...which isn't bad, but if you really want to enjoy it without worry, you'll have to shell out at least 20 dollars to get more. I'm sure there are plenty of MMO's in which you need to spend a bit of cash to unlock stages or features or whatever, but in this game, it seems spending real money is a necessity.

I'm suspicious that they made the boss extra hard too so there will be barely any chance of survival, so you have to do it all over again and waste energy so you have to buy more.

Other than that, the game is a good time waster. I like the gameplay a lot. I'd be full satisfied and play it more often if it weren't for that flaw. In a way, I guess the game isn't free, haha.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM
i couldnt agree any more.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That's pretty much the entire shtick of free* games. They give you just enough to get interested, and then they're all palms-up. It almost feels kind of dishonest to me, which is why I dislike these sort of games. If you want my money (and there is no game producer in existence that doesn't) just say so.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
To the defense

Nah, nah, they're not all bad, I've found a rare few that can be played to the end without needing to pay anything, infact, they even showed off the fact that one of their players got to the current max {It's in Beta, constantly growing} level without buying a single thing from the cashshop. {I've yet to get close to the max myself}
Though, it's probably made easier by the fact that the Player Market always has cashshop items from people who had just oodles of money to shell on the game, so you can always get cashshop items with ingame cash, just costs a lot, but there are ways to get tons of money ingame...
Still, it's completely doable without having to use any real cash, I even have tons of cashshop items myself without spending a dime.
But that's also why I'm not interested in any of these F2Ps on Steam, my usuals would probably never be supported...

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Member Title
Hmm, I've been having trouble launching Forsaken World.

I've downloaded it, and when I launch it the mini-window comes up like it's supposed to.
However, when I click play nothing happens and eventually the mini-window just deletes itself.