Was Quote made before Curly?

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
What I mean by this is Quote more systematically undeveloped than Curly. Quote doesn't talk in the game, is that because he CAN'T talk. If he had the option to talk he probably would. When they made Quote did they not have the technology or the time to put a vocal response system in him?

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Weren't Quote and Curly on the same team when they went to the island? Just like that other team that was destroyed in the core room, they were all sent at the same time. Maybe Quote's vocal system was broken or something during his coma in the First Cave.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Cave Story said:
Weren't Quote and Curly on the same team when they went to the island? Just like that other team that was destroyed in the core room, they were all sent at the same time. Maybe Quote's vocal system was broken or something during his coma in the First Cave.

But Curly would remember and say something. Quote was probably made before Curly, and then between making Quote and making Curly they discovered how to make the vocal response system without it being all the hassle. Then after Curly was done they sent them on the island at the same time.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
They're completely different, yet similar at the same time.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Member Title
But DIDN'T Curly say something along the lines of "we were dispatched to The Island together" implying they were in the same unit?

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm pretty sure we decided quote talked, but the audience just never saw his dialogue boxes.

This is evidenced throughout the game, ie, when giving momo the password.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Lace said:
I'm pretty sure we decided quote talked, but the audience just never saw his dialogue boxes.

Oh yah, he did do that, well, maybe it is in his program not to talk much because his software can't process a sentence with proper structure.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Been here way too long...
I know a lot of people who can't process proper sentence structure, and they talk all the time.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM
/end
Cave Story said:
But DIDN'T Curly say something along the lines of "we were dispatched to The Island together" implying they were in the same unit?

Just because they were part of the same unit doesn't exactly mean they were created at the same time.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:10 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Lace said:

it's all interpretable

there is always the possibility that he slipped a piece of paper under the door or something

but yeah it's pretty much up to the player to decide if he talks or not

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yeah, Quote talks as much as you the player imagine him to.

Some spots where he defintiely talks :
Cthulhu : A soldier from the surface? Didn't expect to see you here...
Where are the others?

What's that? Your memory's gone?
Heh-heh-heh...

Little Man : You say my wife's lookin' for me?

Itoh : Itoh? Yes, that's me. What's that? Sakamoto's working on a rocket?

etc...

Also any place he says (YES/NO) lol

If you haven't played Chrono Trigger, you should! Chrono's a classic silent protagonist (plus a great game).

As for who was built first and by who... good question! I cannot think of any clues that definitely prove anything. For all we know, they were broken during the war and later repaired to even greater technology.

Before the war they could have had a long history, or built specifically for the Island mission. Up to you...

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM
/end
X-Calibar said:
Cthulhu : A soldier from the surface? Didn't expect to see you here...
Where are the others?

What's that? Your memory's gone?
Heh-heh-heh...

Actually, he doesn't have to talk here, he could have just stared blankly.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Member Title
X-Calibar said:
Chrono's a classic silent protagonist (plus a great game).
Correction, his name is Crono; not Chrono.
Like X-Calibar stated, if you do not own or have ever played CT, you must do one of the following:
A. Buy and SNES with a copy of the game and go old school.
B. Buy it for NDS and have a portable copy of the game.
C. Get an SNES emulator and play it on a computer.
diph.php

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I think Quote was created before Curly Brace, because he just looks a bit more primitive. But of course, I have no real evidence in favor of this.

On an unrelated sidenote, the programming language Fortran, which is pretty much the oldest one except for ASM, used quotes but not curly braces. Curly brace languages were not introduced until much later.

You could argue that both robots were made by some inventor at the roughly the same time -- because of their intended dependency on each other as a team (sort of). Also, in Cave Story Beta, Quote's name was Curly Brace.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
If Curly was an improved model made after Quote, I'd say that it's obvious that some combat logic was sacrificed in order to make her more sociable.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
well on the talking issue Quote does talk(infact he even has a little official dialogue in curly mode on the wii(Hi curly it is me Quote.(IIRC as i only played it once and still trying to beat Ballos there(then it would be my second official beat of him))

and well I get the feel Quote was build roughly the same time as Curly(infact so close that you could call them twins). Curly is clearly build for social situations while Quote for combat. But Curly certainly isn't a pushover herself.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Merder said:
Quote does talk(infact he even has a little official dialogue in curly mode on the wii(Hi curly it is me Quote.

Cave Story has been ruined forever.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
WoodenRat said:

I agree, Quote should never talk with an actual dialog box, I understand the password and yes or no from the game but other than that he should never talk. And do you think he talks by words scrolling across his hat, it is very unlikely and I find it stupid, but maybe?

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think they were probably built at the same time. I think Quote is an example of a classic silent protagonist. There are a bunch of other characters who would normally be able to talk, like all of the protagonists from the Pokemon series, Link from the Legend of Zelda, and all four warriors of light from the original Final Fantasy. I think I actually read something about silent protagonists before, about how it's indicated that they actually talk, though its supposed to give you a closer connection with the character by having you imagine what they say. Like X-Calibar said, there are some points where it would have been impossible for Quote to have communicated those things to those people without speaking.

And relax about the whole Quote talking in Curly's story thing, guys. It's not like it's canon or something.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
WoodenRat said:

Hate to break it to you boss, but Quote says words in a text box in the original Cave Story.
Two words: "Ligano Motscoud"
I guess you never liked Cave Story o:

Whenever I picture silent protagonists talking, they always speak like I do, which is usually more well-spoken than most characters in the video games (i.e. Curly Brace. I love her attitude, but she speaks so plainly at times...), which, in a way, attaches me to the protagonist even more.
The other cool thing about silent protagonists is that since you already conjure a rough idea of what the character says, you also determine the personality of that character. Especially in cases like Quote's, who shows no descision making without the player's consent beyond Quote backing away from Misery when she threatens Sue. Is he courageous? Timid? Quiet? Talkative? A total douche?
It's up to you, really.