What's on Quote's hat?

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
p8897-0-cavestory.jpg

p8897-1-jenkasdogs.jpg

well? whats on his hat. we need to decide.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:17 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Nator - :p I never saw that in the Ikachan game; I know that picture is in the old OrgView though~ I'd say 95% sure although that is an official Pixel picture? It's a picture that was probably made a long time ago, [the old OrgView with old music; and of course it looks like it was just artistic fun :p]

The only trustworthy quote I know that might shine light on Quote's hat lol Is near the beginning of the game...

Sue: Looks like you need a password to hatch this egg.
Sue: Well, crud.
Sue: If only my brother were here, he'd set things straight.
Sue: .....
Sue: All right, looks like I'm done here for now.
Sue: Are you from around here?
Sue: Doesn't look like it, does it.
****Sue: The words on your cap there...
****Sue: That's not a language they have on this island.
Sue: ...Did you get lost?
Sue: That's okay.
Sue: I'll let you come with me.
Sue: We can get off this dump togther.
Sue: In return, you're gonna help me.

So basically, your guess is as good as mine, although the only thing we know is it isn't related to the island And there might be a reasonable chance Sue can't read the cap, since she didn't say it; But it could be Curly Brace, or it could be a robot number... who knows :p ;)

But, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have said the language thing if it was ikachan :p unless there were squid symbols all over lol

I do know I love this picture though :p
https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/broken9/cs_boxart.png

@f-ram.net here's Ikachan!
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/306/

EDIT: Well if I were to say what I think was on the hat, I'd say it's something written in a robot's language~.... I just thought of a reason that might be a possibility. The Mimigas, the humans and the robots probably don't all speak the same languages; at least most of them due to the fact the old Mimiga near the end of the game says something to the effect, that not all robots were bad, there were a few that spoke... and he thought they had spirits or souls I believe he said. But, then again I guess he could be talking about all the ones that talk in the game [the alien looking ones, etc...] But, it's all in how you interpet it, unless I can find more evidenceee~
You could always leave it blank unless you have a specific idea~ I'll have to think on this...

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
The general consensus is that it says Curly Brace. I'd go with that.

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You have to wonder why she didn't mention it when she met him though ;)

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:47 PM
Hoxtilicious
1. We don't have to consider: it's a Dog! lol
2. It's not from Ikachan it's from ORGview Beta. (Get it here: www.orgayana.de.tl) And I'am sure that Pixel draw teh Picture.
3. You cant say "a Ikachan" because Ikachan is a Person (A squid), its like when ure saying: Thats a Curly Brace lol

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:43 AM
"..."
No doubt. It's his drawing style.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
"where did you find that image?"

"2. It's not from Ikachan it's from ORGview Beta. (Get it here: www.orgayana.de.tl) And I'am sure that Pixel draw teh Picture."

Goto that site and download Orgview alpha or beta, it should be in one of those

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
pretty sure it says curly brace, cuz in teh beta o cave story, quotes name was curly brace, balrog was a normal monster, and booster was tall. and pixel made a picture of him(from teh beta) wif curly brace on his hat, so....
curly-sleep.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Quote had "Curly Brace" on his hat in the beta because his name was Curly Brace, but now he's not Curly Brace so that's probably not on his hat. My guess is that "Quote" is on his hat. It would just make sense. And there's nowhere in the game that says Quote doesn't know what his name is. Of course, there's also nowhere in the game where he takes off his hat to look at it, so I guess that's how Curly knew his name?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
immortalshippo said:
pretty sure it says curly brace, cuz in teh beta o cave story, quotes name was curly brace, balrog was a normal monster, and booster was tall. and pixel made a picture of him(from teh beta) wif curly brace on his hat, so....
curly-sleep.png

It was confirmed long ago by Pixel that the words were "Curly Brace" I think.

But more importantly, was there a good reason to resurrect this 3 year old thread? The last post was in 2006 guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM
He's a noob, let him. Besides, I got to impart my brilliant idea upon you people. Praise me.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Captain Fabulous said:
He's a noob, let him. Besides, I got to impart my brilliant idea upon you people. Praise me.
What?
You mean this idea?
Captain Fabulous said:
My guess is that "Quote" is on his hat. It would just make sense. And there's nowhere in the game that says Quote doesn't know what his name is. Of course, there's also nowhere in the game where he takes off his hat to look at it, so I guess that's how Curly knew his name?
That can't be, simply because Curly would have known his name sooner, just by reading his hat.
She knew his name from regaining all of her memories from eating Ma Pignon.

EDIT:
No, wait! Maybe Sue's crazy and was seeing things.
How many original and non-beta pieces of artwork from Amaya have words written on Quote's hat?
I mean, look at this brand new picture from Pixel himself:
diph.php

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
In the Japanese version the hat reads "Curly Brace". In the English version it would read "カーリーブレイス".

Does that make sense?

Ever get the impression that both Curly and Sue can't read English in the Japanese version or Japanese in the English version?

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Huh...

andwhyisit said:
In the Japanese version the hat reads "Curly Brace". In the English version it would read "カーリーブレイス".

Does that make sense?

Ever get the impression that both Curly and Sue can't read English in the Japanese version or Japanese in the English version?
But why would it read "Curly Brace"?
And why would the designers use a language their creations cannot understand...?

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
But why would it read "Curly Brace"?
Because Pixel said so. It was the only question that he hadn't left to "the player's imagination". It most likely has to do with how Quote was originally called Curly Brace until Pixel changed it sometime during the final year of development.

Within the realms of the story itself? I have no idea. Maybe that should be our topic of discussion.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:08 AM
Well, since Quote and Curly are "brother and sister" robots, as we like to think of them, it would make sense for some kind of obvious connection to exist, aside from their age and pale skin. Maybe Curly used to have a hat that said "Quote" on it, or maybe Quote is wearing Curly's hat for some reason.