"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Discuss.

May 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
May 25, 2011 at 3:44 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
DEAR CAVE STORY FORUMS,
I have attached several weapons of mass destruction to 3 of your internets. If there is no discussion in this thread I will destroy the internets and summon 4chan, my personal army, to invade the ruins. There is no hope but to concede to my demands or declare war.
Sincerely,
Madotsuki

(Seriously that's what I've started using when I realized 100killer9 was retarded)

May 25, 2011 at 4:01 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
100killer9 said:
DEAR CAVE STORY FORUMS,
I have attached several weapons of mass destruction to 3 of your internets. If there is no discussion in this thread I will destroy the internets and summon 4chan, my personal army, to invade the ruins. There is no hope but to concede to my demands or declare war.
Sincerely,
Madotsuki

(Seriously that's what I've started using when I realized 100killer9 was retarded)

Please just get out.

Anyway, how does Curly die then?

May 25, 2011 at 4:09 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It's a pretty awesome idea, but I don't think I can agree...

A lot of people do interact with Curly. Misery, Balrog, the Mimiga children, the Nurse and doctor gero, cthulhu... You get a machinegun from her; and she can kill you... (would be odd for Quote to kill himself)

It is odd that she is not seen by any of the humans, but; you'd have to come up with a pretty wild theory to make it work logically...

It would be easier to make a theory that Cave Story was just Quote's dream; and he has never left the First Cave to begin with! He is stuck down there, coma/hibernating/dreaming about a happy ending with a certain blonde robot...

May 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM
Curly could still be the same person if they were linked wirelessly... but they are awake at the same time, without knowledge of each other, making it unlikely.
I tried getting out before. No one gave a shit. Should I leave again?

May 25, 2011 at 4:59 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Well, there's one way you could try to argue for the same person theory...
In Cave Story Wii, there's a Curly mode, where Q and C switch places.

You could say, Quote and Curly is the same person... And the truth is fractured. Does it make more sense that Quote has woken up in a Cave after years of hibernation possibly?

Or is it more likely, that Quote/Curly had been looking after those Mimiga Children for quite some time...

Why did King react so familiar/friendly when Quote/Curly came around? Surely he isn't so trusting? But, if he knows about Quote/Curly's issue somehow he can accept him/her as part of the island's strangeness.

awaaaah! This is getting too weird...

It might be easier to say the island is Quote's coma, dream world though. If you focus on the existence of Curly; you will never awake! You will follow your dreams...

Wirelessly linked? mmmm
That's a difficult concept to understand... They don't seem to share their memories; but, who knows perhaps there is some truth to that? Why was Curly at the teleporter waiting for Quote? It was like she somehow knew he was coming... :p

100killer9 said:
I tried getting out before. No one gave a shit. Should I leave again?
...You talking about leaving the forums?

If you have fun here, have friends here, or want to talk about Cave Story, then stay! If not...

Well, I've usually felt like a 3rd wheel at the forums... but I keep coming back because of Cave Story :critter:
And anyways, anyone who is willing to read through my madness I have to appreciate :heart:

May 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Been here way too long...
Quote/Curly is a figment of Quote/Curly's imagination used to keep him sane after discovering that he has magical powers.

He magics the machine gun into existence, seemingly always knows where to go, and is capable of augmenting himself and his weapons through the sacrifice of his enemies.
The introduction of a third party helps explain many of these things to quote's fractured mind.

Furthermore, he is Misery's brother.

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Lace said:
Quote/Curly is a figment of Quote/Curly's imagination used to keep him sane after discovering that he has magical powers.

He magics the machine gun into existence, seemingly always knows where to go, and is capable of augmenting himself and his weapons through the sacrifice of his enemies.
The introduction of a third party helps explain many of these things to quote's fractured mind.

Furthermore, he is Misery's brother.

Aha! Now it all makes sense!

Now if someone will just create a sprite for the true Qurly
(although he probably prefers Qurl) ><

I give up! I give up!! :muscledoc:

May 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM
/end
Quote, Curly and in fact the whole Cave Story world and everyone in it is just a dream of a 10 year old boy in a coma who really liked robots.

Quote is in the image of himself always quiet in real life and doing what other people tell him out of fear that they will hate him. Curly is the side of himself he keeps hidden deep down and is everything he wishes to be. Open, talkative, outgoing, female. Balrog is also part of what he wants to be, strong and powerful, but also very much a kid deep down inside which he never got to be.

King is his father who he loved very much but died when he was young. Chaco is his aunt who raped him when he was 7. Jenka is his grandmother. And Misery is his mother who took to beating him senseless after his father died. The Doctor is his uncle always putting his mother down since before he went into the coma they had to live with him after her husband/his father died. Ballos is the creepy garbage man who raped him when he was 4. And all the other characters are random people, family and friends he knew before he went into the coma.

In short, Cave Story is all a dream.

May 26, 2011 at 2:46 AM
Wait... But Quote can shoot behind him? Or magick bullets to kill butes into existance?
It would explain the two nemesises in Hell, but not how both are simultaneously fired.
Maybe Quote is a mindless slave to Curly's subconcious? It works off Curly's personality, but can't remember everything until the Ma Pignon is given? The Ma Pignon links the concious and subconcious, melding reality and fantasy, allowing fantasy to unlock the entrance to hell? Maybe I just need sleep?

May 26, 2011 at 4:07 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
MetaSeraphim said:
Quote, Curly and in fact the whole Cave Story world and everyone in it is just a dream of a 10 year old boy in a coma who really liked robots.

Quote is in the image of himself always quiet in real life and doing what other people tell him out of fear that they will hate him. Curly is the side of himself he keeps hidden deep down and is everything he wishes to be. Open, talkative, outgoing, female.

King is his father who he loved very much but died when he was young. Chaco is his aunt who raped him when he was 7. Jenka is his grandmother. And Misery is his mother who took to beating him senseless after his father died. The Doctor is his uncle always putting his mother down since before he went into the coma they had to live with him after her husband/his father died. Ballos is the creepy garbage man who raped him when he was 4. And all the other characters are random people, family and friends he knew before he went into the coma.

In short, Cave Story is all a dream.

Mommy never ceases to amaze me

May 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM
/end
WD said:
Mommy never ceases to amaze me

I forgot that the whole point of the game is to kill all the inner demons inside himself, and when he defeats Ballos he has finally defeated them all. Ballos was the most evil person in his life who never had any regrets for what he did to him, while his aunt was sorry for what she did and told the boy sorry and tried to make it up to him.

When Quote, Curly and Balrog fly off together the boy is finally at peace, does he wake up, or does he die in his sleep? That is for the player to decide.

May 26, 2011 at 4:52 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
MetaSeraphim said:
I forgot that the whole point of the game is to kill all the inner demons inside himself, and when he defeats Ballos he has finally defeated them all. Ballos was the most evil person in his life who never had any regrets for what he did to him, while his aunt was sorry for what she did and told the boy sorry and tried to make it up to him.

When Quote, Curly and Balrog fly off together the boy is finally at peace, does he wake up, or does he die in his sleep? That is for the player to decide.

http://twistedspeedo.com/?p=136
sorry

May 26, 2011 at 5:06 AM
/end
I have read that story in the past, though I didn't based what I came up with on that story.

May 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
well my idea is they aren't.
the reason first cave is called first cave i think is because it is the first cave he saw after the hibernation described as a coma. dunno why it took 10 years to wake up but something tells me a tiny rock gravity and luck on Quote's side had to do with it.
I also read that people wondered why King was so calm when he dropped down that i think is because he recognized him because quote might have saved the village before his memory banks got corrupted and entered the "coma". or maybe even just king several times.

I know of Curly mode and even played it on my WII but that feels like a "what if" story more then the actual course of events.

May 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM
It's not a ten year old boy. It's a girl. Misery is a representation of her evil. It's actually a psychosomatic thing, caused by something cliche (like seeing her stepfather get stabbed by her father in a mirror or something).

May 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I love your theory Metaseraphim,

I think if he was afraid of anything like his dad who beats him or something that'd be Balloss, As when he defeats him all is peaceful.

May 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM
/end
100killer9 said:
It's not a ten year old boy. It's a girl.

No, it's a boy. A boy who wishes to be a girl. A girl trapped in a boy's body.