Quote's Personality

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What do you think Quote's personality is? Charismatic? Timid? Sarcastic? Stoic? How do you envision the robot?

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:13 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Stoic. Typical silent protagonist.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:16 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
An unfeeling machine that tricked everyone into thinking it cares.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:35 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
It just likes to shoot things.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The usual silent yes man protagonist.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The silent dude from whom everyone gets help

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:32 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
He's a KILLER ROBOT.

May 24, 2011 at 3:07 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
He's emo.
The maker of Curly and Quote ran out of personality parts, so split the two. Curly got the happy and sacrificial parts. Quote got the depressed and realistic parts. This forces them to work as a team, otherwise they will fail. But the synergy works.
And typing that felt like a waste of time.

May 24, 2011 at 3:27 AM
/end
100killer9 said:
He's emo.
The maker of Curly and Quote ran out of personality parts, so split the two. Curly got the happy and sacrificial parts. Quote got the depressed and realistic parts. This forces them to work as a team, otherwise they will fail. But the synergy works.
And typing that felt like a waste of time.

I actually like that idea.

May 24, 2011 at 3:31 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
May 24, 2011 at 10:54 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Maybe Quote is a "second" model, designed to be more efficient, while Curly was given enough personality for the two of them in a very literal way?

May 25, 2011 at 4:01 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Quote? Well, the best way to figure that out is ... Look at the ending pictures!

(tell me if these images don't show up for you, I direct linked from the cavestory.org site)
p100664-0-friends.gif
p123250-1-quoteandcurly.gif
p123250-2-outerwall.gif
p123250-3-jenkasdogs.gif

p123250-4-misery.gif
p123250-5-ironheadch.gif
p123250-6-friends2.gif
p114469-0-hospital.gif
p123250-8-balrog.gif

First and most importantly, Quote acts human enough to fool most people that don't know exactly what they look like. Even Misery and Balrog who has fought with similar robots like Q and C couldn't recognize him as a robot at first.

Quote is the easy to talk to type. He says the right things, but he doesn't stand out. Somehow he earns everyone's trust.

In the beginning he is probably pretty blank in his objective.

He takes the gun, falls on his face; and I guess is just wandering aimlessly.
Only seems to target anything that is hostile towards him.

He must have recognized King as friendly, and said something nice; since King opens up to Quote immediately, even though he clearly thinks of Sue as an outsider and has a grudge.
Whatever Quote says apparently earns him more trust than Sue was able to all the time she was there!

In the beginning he does not take sides. He sees Toroko getting taken and does nothing. He sees Sue taken and does nothing.

Does he act good or bad? I don't know; that's up to you. Do you help Kazuma? Do you tell Curly you will kill the Mimigas?

It isn't until the Labyrinth that Quote decides his path. He has probably gathered enough information to figure out what kind of robot person he wants to be.

Typically pretty friendly, but probably quieter (but not mute!) than Curly. There are a few dialogues where Quote must speak for it to make sense, but it usually shows Quote speaking by : "....." Look for spots that say "......" and that's usually where you say something. [That and at the beginning and end of conversations]

Personally, I always thought of Quote and Curly to be kind of like the characters :
Chrono and Rosette from the Chrono Crusade anime...

Chrono is a bit more serious, brooding, friendly, has a dark side, but is quite the warrior.
Rosette is the outspoken, smiling, strong-willed character, has seen dark things, but quickly finds that smile with friends.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Quote has a personality in much the same way that 0 is a number.

Okay, seriously. He's Samurai Jack, only toned down.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I like to think Quote's personality is supposed to be your personality as the player.
That's why his personality is so unclear, because it's up to you.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I agree with X-Calibar about the pictures showing his personality.
However, those pictures only show Quote showing the emotions and reactions that most humans would in those situations, regardless of their personality.
He's tired of climbing bricks in the Outer Wall, he looks down below when flying on a dragon, he takes the key to the old Clinic to save his friend.
None of those things are a particularly unusual or distinct way to act.

But then again, you have a point about King opening up and such. This at least means he's not a total jerk to strangers, which most people aren't, so it still reflects the player's personality as you play.
It's like The Great Gatsby. The main character travels to a totally new environment, meeting most of the characters for the first time. He doesn't develop much throughout the story, or react much to dire situations. Despite at other characters think of people, he develops his own thoughts about them, based only on the experiences he sees. In essence, both Quote and Tom Buccanan are the player or reader.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
^I share Yakker`s opinion.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always though of him as overly kind, going out of his way for others, and quite cute. But attacks anything that's hostile toward him.
I dunno, that's just my twisted head-cannon.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I wouldn't say Quote is "I am QUote, Insert personality..." character as much as a "Generic silent character".

He never talks, you're never given space to talk and at no point is your personality mentioned or seem to affect other characters.
Like a book, you're forced to move forward without being able of changing things.
Saving or not saving Curly is more of a limitation than a choice.

These kind of characters are by no means bad, when done well, like in Half-Life and Half-Life 2, a Freeman character is very enjoyable, but it's not really left open to fit your personality.