Is Misery trying to help Quote and Mimigas all the time?

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:36 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well, two events make me think this:

1)In the warehouse, King was going to save Toroko but he failed and then was hit by lightning strike(supposed to be Misery's attack). Misery flied up and disappeared right after attacked King. Then the teleporting sound effect played while Toroko and King died makes me wonder: Was Misery helping King and Toroko secretly and teleported them to another safe location? You see, when you killed a monster, there is no teleport sound effect like that. (I don't know the sound effect played during Booster's death, tho.)

2)After the warehouse fight with Toroko, Quote was smashed unconcious by Balrog. Then Misery teleported Quote to the Labyrinth, she was able to kill Quote at that time, right? Why would she teleport him to Labyrinth anyway? Besides she then teleported Balrog away as if she wanted to protect Quote from being killed by that stupid toaster or TV whatever.

It's just my opinion. :toroko:

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hm.... I've seen a thread like this before, which leads me to belive that this game would be too short if you died right after the Sand Zone!
Edit: Anywho, yes I would believe so, but there is much Doctor magic involved for the real answer.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:51 AM
Tpcool said:
Hm.... I've seen a thread like this before, which leads me to belive that this game would be too short if you died right after the Sand Zone!
Edit: Anywho, yes I would believe so, but there is much Doctor magic involved for the real answer.

Yes the game would be too short if Misery kills Quote at the Sandzone, but if you are the arthor and you want the game to be longer, you can simply just don't make Misery and Balrog appears and let Quote go back to arthur's house and blahblahblah.
Why would Misery teleports Quote to Labyrinth, not anywhere else? I guess she wants to show Quote something.

Another thought here: Why would Misery mistaken Toroko as Sue anyway? It was she who transformed Sue into mimiga. :S

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
onlineworms said:
Another thought here: Why would Misery mistaken Toroko as Sue anyway? It was she who transformed Sue into mimiga. :S

Maybe they all just look like big grotesque rabbits to her, all the same, and she couldn't be bothered to differentiate between the two. She seems like the type who would be apathetic about her duties behind her master's back.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:08 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Maybe they all just look like big grotesque rabbits to her, all the same, and she couldn't be bothered to differentiate between the two. She seems like the type who would be apathetic about her duties behind her master's back.

I don't know, Balrog seems to be simple-minded, he would do whatever his master says happily.
But Misery.. I think she doesn't like doctor at all, you know, she was just "forced" to obey. So personally I doubt that she was kind, like her mother, Jenka, was supposed to be the protecter of the island.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:16 AM
"..."
onlineworms said:
Well, two events make me think this:

1)In the warehouse, King was going to save Toroko but he failed and then was hit by lightning strike(supposed to be Misery's attack). Misery flied up and disappeared right after attacked King. Then the teleporting sound effect played while Toroko and King died makes me wonder: Was Misery helping King and Toroko secretly and teleported them to another safe location? You see, when you killed a monster, there is no teleport sound effect like that. (I don't know the sound effect played during Booster's death, tho.)

2)After the warehouse fight with Toroko, Quote was smashed unconcious by Balrog. Then Misery teleported Quote to the Labyrinth, she was able to kill Quote at that time, right? Why would she teleport him to Labyrinth anyway? Besides she then teleported Balrog away as if she wanted to protect Quote from being killed by that stupid toaster or TV whatever.

It's just my opinion. :toroko:

If you'd checked the Cave Story Theories forum (where this probably belongs), you'd have noticed my thread on the matter called "Misery's on Quote's side".

However...

- Toroko and King weren't teleported, as teleportation is visually depicted as disappearing from the bottom (or was it the top?), whereas Toroko and King flashed before vanishing.

- Misery sent Balrog to the Labyrinth, which if anything made him more likely to kill Quote. But indeed, Misery sending Quote to the Labyrinth (instead of teleporting him to, say, the bottom right corner of the Outer Wall) implies that she wanted him to destroy the Core. Balrog may have been sent there in the expectation that he'd end up moving the boulder.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
magic9mushroom said:
- Misery sent Balrog to the Labyrinth, which if anything made him more likely to kill Quote. But indeed, Misery sending Quote to the Labyrinth (instead of teleporting him to, say, the bottom right corner of the Outer Wall) implies that she wanted him to destroy the Core. Balrog may have been sent there in the expectation that he'd end up moving the boulder.

Remember that this isn't the first time she's sent a robot to the labrynth, and all the other robots she sent there were stuck in that room or eventually died. As far as she was concerned, sending him there was just another way to kill him, without having to get her hands dirty. And we don't know all the limitations of what she can teleport and to where either.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
onlineworms said:
all three friendly characters that die do the same thing, flash with teleport noise then poof iirc.

onlineworms said:
Apathy+Mild Resistance+assuming only Sue would even know who the Doctor was.

onlineworms said:
I don't know, Balrog seems to be simple-minded, he would do whatever his master says happily.
But Misery.. I think she doesn't like doctor at all, you know, she was just "forced" to obey. So personally I doubt that she was kind, like her mother, Jenka, was supposed to be the protector of the island.
You try being a slave every minute of your waking life for who knows how long the four Crown holder's rules were and then being trapped in stasis for the rest of the time and see how your attitude turns out.
That aside, Misery probably tried to resist doing anything the Doctor said as many ways as she could.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Remember that this isn't the first time she's sent a robot to the labyrinth, and all the other robots she sent there were stuck in that room or eventually died. As far as she was concerned, sending him there was just another way to kill him, without having to get her hands dirty. And we don't know all the limitations of what she can teleport and to where either.
porting the Core from what i'm assuming to be the middle of the island all the way to the top would probably use less energy than sending a comparatively tiny robot to the outer wall. Also, Misery knows that the only direction he's likely to go is back into the Egg Corridor, thereby back to Mimiga Village and right back into their hair.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Malpercio said:
porting the Core from what i'm assuming to be the middle of the island all the way to the top would probably use less energy than sending a comparatively tiny robot to the outer wall.

Unfortunately all we can go on for the magic bits is assumptions, since we only know that misery can teleport things to the labrynth and to the laboratory (where the core went I guess) and maybe the throne room and black space (where she spawns the bats and falling blocks and stuff). One could say that then she should have the power to warp things wherever, but that would be extrapolation. So if we suppose that she can warp things wherever, then yes, maybe she was trying to help Quote out.

Also, Misery knows that the only direction he's likely to go is back into the Egg Corridor, thereby back to Mimiga Village and right back into their hair
Doesn't Quote end up in Mimiga village BEFORE he gets to the egg corridor again? As far as she's concerned there's probably no exit from the labrynth, since it's deep within the island (assumption) and the only way quote actually escapes the whole area is through the waterway.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:00 AM
Pirate Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Unfortunately all we can go on for the magic bits is assumptions, since we only know that misery can teleport things to the labrynth and to the laboratory (where the core went I guess) and maybe the throne room and black space (where she spawns the bats and falling blocks and stuff). One could say that then she should have the power to warp things wherever, but that would be extrapolation. So if we suppose that she can warp things wherever, then yes, maybe she was trying to help Quote out.
Laboratory (presumably; it's his HQ and stuff) = King's Table, i.e. in between the Throne Room and Black Space.
She spawns the bats and falling blocks in her fight with you in the Throne Room, i thought the bats came from transforming the circle shields, and she's probably just pulling the rocks out of the roof i.e. incredibly short range teleport
also, she might just have a finite amount of energy at any given point in time *coughlikeEragoncough* and might not have had enough energy to teleport a)Quote to the Outer Wall, and b)Balrog to wherever, right after smacking King in the face with a lightning bolt and teleporting Toroko in from wherever, as well as dual teleportations of herself. for that matter, i'm assuming she uses the time between you entering the Warehouse and killing Toroko to ambush Sue and Co., which would use yet more energy.
tl;dr, i think she could have easily shot Quote out into the middle of nowhere from the Sand Zone, had she not spent the last half hour doing a whole lot of magic work.
nitpick: it's labyrinth, with an I.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Doesn't Quote end up in Mimiga village BEFORE he gets to the egg corridor again? As far as she's concerned there's probably no exit from the labrynth, since it's deep within the island (assumption) and the only way quote actually escapes the whole area is through the waterway.
yes, he ends up in Mimiga Village, after navigating the entire Labyrinth and Waterway, and drifting who knows how long in the Stream before, during, and after the Iron Head fight. methinks the Labyrinth takes up a sizable portion of the Island, easily enough to be short range through walls from both the Sand Zone and the Egg Corridor/Outer Wall

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM
"..."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Remember that this isn't the first time she's sent a robot to the labrynth, and all the other robots she sent there were stuck in that room or eventually died. As far as she was concerned, sending him there was just another way to kill him, without having to get her hands dirty. And we don't know all the limitations of what she can teleport and to where either.

It's entirely possible that she sent all the other robots there with the same intention.

We don't know what she can teleport to where, but it is a highly reasonable extrapolation that, given that she can teleport Quote, and she can teleport things a fairly long distance, that she could throw Quote off the side of the island (as she presumably did Momorin).

Malpercio said:
for that matter, i'm assuming she uses the time between you entering the Warehouse and killing Toroko to ambush Sue and Co., which would use yet more energy.

Probably more likely that she did it while you were in the Labyrinth.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Pirate Member
magic9mushroom said:
Probably more likely that she did it while you were in the Labyrinth.
... that does make more sense, actually.
also provides a handy explanation for why the Egg Corridor is so utterly thrashed - Misery totally raped the place to catch Sue and Co. while you were in the Labyrinth.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Malpercio said:
... that does make more sense, actually.
also provides a handy explanation for why the Egg Corridor is so utterly thrashed - Misery totally raped the place to catch Sue and Co. while you were in the Labyrinth.

Or maybe all the mishatched zombie dragons did it .-.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Pirate Member
ya mean the ones who never move the whole time you're there?
the ones who's flame breath obviously couldn't have done it?
it's far more likely that Misery and/or the Doctor did it to slow down and/or kill anyone trying to get to the Plantation

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:59 AM
Malpercio said:
ya mean the ones who never move the whole time you're there?
the ones who's flame breath obviously couldn't have done it?
it's far more likely that Misery and/or the Doctor did it to slow down and/or kill anyone trying to get to the Plantation

See, the Twins.

Also, GIR, now you've montioned those robots who were teleported to the maze earlier, and you've convinced me that Misery was trying to kill Quote. :(

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Pirate Member
even the twins' flame breath didn't seem to hurt anything lol