Why didn't Quote go crazy?

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
He had to shoot parrots carrying crocodile skulls. He had to talk to some toaster thing that anatomically shouldn't even be alive. Not to mention that grotesque Hell some revolting man lives in .When you think about it he saw so much freaky shit on that flying island that it all seems like a really long acid trip. But then again, he had amnesia which could've made him think it's all natural. Or maybe not. Maybe he just hallucinated everything after some point. Or maybe not.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
'Cos he's a combat android, and therefore hardcore.

It's really not as easy as you'd think to make someone disablingly insane, mainly because the mechanisms that cause insanity are survival mechanisms.

Or maybe Quote isn't even sentient. That'd be a pretty downer ending.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Not to mention beforehand, when he had to fight the previous crown bearer [Miakid].

So that's a good point, but yeah, he's a robot.
But that brings up other questions, like

Why didn't Misery go insane? Witches are alive, right?

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
CurlyBrace said:

Wizard did it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:37 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Has it not occured to you that in the Cave Story universe, this shit isn't too out of the ordinary? I mean, the Island would have had a lot of evolutionary drift, but maybe they have parrots carrying skulls on the Surface too.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Pirate Member
Captain Fabulous said:
but maybe they have parrots carrying skulls on the Surface too.

Probably not.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Quote's builders had a reasonably good idea of what was on the island, and didn't want him to go crazy for no reason.

Therefore... why is this even a question?

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You could always argue "He's a robot, he can't go insane".

Of course robots don't go stealing underwear normally so...

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
robots usually aren't THAT human, and they usually don't have a mated pair instinct that probably told Quote "she's your counterpart you're about as close as you can get to be joined at the hip she's not going to care if you found her undies in the wall that were probably left there from some romp you two had"

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Malpercio said:
robots usually aren't THAT human, and they usually don't have a mated pair instinct that probably told Quote "she's your counterpart you're about as close as you can get to be joined at the hip she's not going to care if you found her undies in the wall that were probably left there from some romp you two had"

XDDD. They are, in Sacred Grounds, literally attached at the hip ....
Maybe some part of him remembered the previous journey he had through the island before his amnesia and therefore he was not too startled.

And I dont know about you, but I'm pretty sure if I had to serve under someone for all eternity, I'd go crazy ....

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You could always argue "He's a robot, he can't go insane".

Of course robots don't go stealing underwear normally so...

And they don't normally go having sex with coloured mimigas either, if that's what he was doing.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
CF is probably right. While the island may have some unique breeds (it's possible), and may be old, it isn't old enough to cause an evolutionary divergence. It is highly likely that most of the monsters on the island are present on the surface (or in the caves under it), and thus would seem as commonplace to them as some of our own Earth species are to us.

CurlyBrace said:
She stayed somewhat sane because she gradually resigned herself to her fate and started to enjoy it to the point of sadism.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Pirate Member
I thought Jenka created it with all the animals and shit quite fast (to seal off ballos).

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
WoodenRat said:
I thought Jenka created it with all the animals and shit quite fast (to seal off ballos).
Besides the Core (keeps Ballos in check), Gaudi, and Monster X (protects core) what would animals have to do with sealing Ballos?

Even though there are magic users in this game it does not justify the phrase "a wizard did it".

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Pirate Member
Well in that case burn yourself

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm gonna say he didn't go crazy because:
1 Everything after Chako's was a blur to him
2 I also say that he IS a robot, made to go to the island, so my guess is he's programmed to know about most of the stuff
3 Well, I dunno about you but if I saw some crazy things like human-sized bugs, green crows holding skulls that spit bones at you, gravestones that shoot red circles and other strange stuff I would be suprised, maybe sorta scared, but I'd get over it.
or
4 After seeing some weird things (Mimigas, Balrog, etc.) he probably came to find things we find odd normal, if not anything above.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
But I'm wondering, if he is really a robot then what really did happen at Chako's?

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
First, use the edit button, it was laboriously programmed so people could avoid double posting.

Second, we've already made threads about Chaco. Try the search button for an in-depth highly serious tread dedicated to quote's special robot-ness or Chaco.

He didn't go crazy because he doesn't have a crazy algorithm written in his code. There is no way for him to go crazy because he has no feelings or emotions.

andwhyisit said:
Besides the Core (keeps Ballos in check), Gaudi, and Monster X (protects core) what would animals have to do with sealing Ballos?

Even though there are magic users in this game it does not justify the phrase "a wizard did it".
Woodenrat meant the Jenka made the island for ballos, and the monster were put there to not make it look like a giant jail cell in the sky, methinks.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Pirate Member
cultr1 said:
He didn't go crazy because he doesn't have a crazy algorithm written in his code. There is no way for him to go crazy because he has no feelings or emotions.

Woodenrat meant the Jenka made the island for ballos, and the monster were put there to not make it look like a giant jail cell in the sky, methinks.

Yes that's what I ment.

Also saying that Quote doesn't have feelings is very, very mean :momo: