Cultural Stereotype??

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
As we all know, there is a green-haired family and the doctor is green-haired and MAY be the daddy(or his evil twin), BUT, why are so many characters created with distinctly artificial traits(like hair color) to be running naturally(and unexplained) in the family or even in the society?

Take for example, in almost every animé I've watched and every manga I've read, the heroin(less often hero) is blonde with light eyes and light skin. This is never explained, she is Japanese to everybody else, since her mom and some of her of family is blonde with blue eyes, i guess it is somehow accepted. And Curly, she is a robot different from the others, and the love interest, no doubt!

I have to ask, do Japanese(or even people in general) prefer some one to be of the "Arian" race? This may sound incredibly racist/insane/automatic NO, but being a brown-eyed brown-haired person who admires anybody with such traits...

Side question: Why are there always token "sexy" ladies, let's call them "Mai Valentines", in each show, often blonde or redheads, with unimaginably enormous busts?

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
pue_eternity said:
Side question: Why are there always token "sexy" ladies, let's call them "Mai Valentines", in each show, often blonde or redheads, with unimaginably enormous busts?
Because that's all anime is good for?

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
The green/blue hair thing was supposedly to show contrast on the black background.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:11 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
In that case, they could have had blonde, red, blue, or a bright neon color hair instead of just green...

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:54 AM
Been here way too long...
In Cave Story's world, green is a real hair color. Date is probably not related to the Sakamotos, so green is somewhat common. Like red, perhaps.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:40 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
In the PC version, Misery's hair was the most magical. From afar, it would look blue, but if you zoomed in on her face....
It was suddenly green! I'd say it's obviously because she is a witch.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:24 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well, we never say this here, but "you're looking too much into it". I'd say Pixel just thinks green hair is cool. And so all the humans have green hair (except i guess Itoh, for his two seconds of airtime, whose is blue).. and Misery, whose is I guess "supposed to be" blue, but who knows if she's supposed to be a human witch or another race altogether. And Jenka and Booster well could have had green hair that greyed out, and Ballos could have had green hair before he had no hair.

I'm saying, maybe the entire human race in CS's world may have that tan skin and green (and maybe sometimes rarely blue) hair. I think there's been enough evidence that it's not supposed to take place in a world quite like our own.

It seems to be a totally different topic, the whole aryan supremacy thing, but yeah, for some reason people seem to just love blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't get it. I prefer brunettes, and redheads.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
In the PC version, Misery's hair was the most magical. From afar, it would look blue, but if you zoomed in on her face....
It was suddenly green! I'd say it's obviously because she is a witch.

Yes her hair has always confused me.

Also who's her dad?

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Also who's her dad?

Jenka's unknown unmentioned lover.

She may have not needed a father per say, because Jenka's also a witch/hag(?) and could've made her from a stew or did that whole female-female reproduction thing that a species of lizards do(I was told that that is how hags/witches reproduce).

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
WoodenRat said:
Yes her hair has always confused me.

Also who's her dad?

I usually like to combine it and say that her hair is tealish-blue.

And maybe Misery didn't always serve the holder of the crown? Maybe there was a time when her father was an actual holder of the crown..?

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM
pue_eternity said:
...that whole female-female reproduction thing that a species of lizards do(I was told that that is how hags/witches reproduce).
Science!
I don't see how Misery's father is relevant to the Demon Crown, but if any of the Crown Bearers was a relative of hers, it would be Halda, the first guy. There's some resemblance. More than with Miakid and Annachponae, anyhow.
But that is for a different thread, lady and gentlemen!