Changing Character Sprite

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey I need help changing a character's sprite. I wanna try to change Quote's sprite and some other people but I don't know how to do that. Do I need a hacking tool to change someone's sprite?

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You change sprites by editing the *.pbm sprites within the data folder and its subfolders. The *.pbm files are secretly just *.bmp files in disguise, so you can just open them with Paint and edit them as you please. However, saving a file in Paint removes the "(C)Pixel" (without quotes) at the end, which will make the game crash if it tries to read the file. You'll need to add the (C)Pixel back to the end of the file with a Hex Editor, or if you're using CaveEdit, you can remove the (C)Pixel requirement. Does that answer your question?

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wedge of Cheese said:
You change sprites by editing the *.pbm sprites within the data folder and its subfolders. The *.pbm files are secretly just *.bmp files in disguise, so you can just open them with Paint and edit them as you please. However, saving a file in Paint removes the "(C)Pixel" (without quotes) at the end, which will make the game crash if it tries to read the file. You'll need to add the (C)Pixel back to the end of the file with a Hex Editor, or if you're using CaveEdit, you can remove the (C)Pixel requirement. Does that answer your question?
Yeah that does answer my questions. Now here's another question.When I change a color like white to orange the orange color shows up as white when I try to color something on a character.What do i do about that?

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Umm... I don't quite get what you mean, could you give a more specific example? It might be because almost all of the Cave Story images have 4-bit color depth, so there are only 16 different colors available to you. To change the colors, you'd have to edit the bitmap with a hex editor. Is that what you're talking about?

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wedge of Cheese said:
Umm... I don't quite get what you mean, could you give a more specific example? It might be because almost all of the Cave Story images have 4-bit color depth, so there are only 16 different colors available to you. To change the colors, you'd have to edit the bitmap with a hex editor. Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah that is.Thanks