Quote's hat?

May 10, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
So we all know that Quote's hat says something. But what? Some people think it says Curly Brace. Others say Quote. But it could say solider. What do you think it says?

May 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe it says "Git-R-Done"
-That's not a language they have on this island...

May 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
niow said:
Some people think it says Curly Brace.

Pixel himself says for a matter of fact that it does, indeed, say Curly Brace. It's not a theory, official sources say that this is canon.

May 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
Noxid said:
Maybe it says "Git-R-Done"
-That's not a language they have on this island...

Seems reasonable.

May 11, 2010 at 6:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
In the Japanese version the hat reads out as "Curly Brace" in English. In the English version it would read out as "Curly Brace" in a language other than English, assumably Japanese.

May 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So, did anyone ever figure out WHY it says Curly Brace? Is it the little "iron band" she gives Quote slapped onto his hat, or is it like that from the beginning of the game? And if so, why?--and probably more importantly, why doesn't Curly have any article of clothing that says "Quote" (unless he signed her underwear?)

May 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Quote was Curly in the beginning.. right?
We had this discussion.
like 3453 times.

May 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Schokobecher said:
We had this discussion.
like 3453 times.

I still haven't been here long, and I forgot about that anyway. Plus, why would Pixel "officially state that curly brace is what's on quote's hat" even after the character names were changed? Or did he only "confirm" this waaaaaay back before CS was even released?

May 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It says Curly Brace. Quote was Curly in the beginning as Schoko said. Pixel just left the hat description unchanged.

May 15, 2010 at 1:09 AM
bah, everyone's just destroying the whole 'theory' part of this. Even if it was confirmed, there should still be easily enough 'meat' in the idea behind this thread that people could theorize WHY it says that, but everyone's just all "No. It's just like that because it is." like the thread's a bust. And yet about things even more easily explained and needless to delve into, there's dozens-of-pages-long threads.

Well, I tried.

May 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM
Banned
Ragnaroq, this is not the first time something like this has been posted or this question has been asked. There is nothing to theorize about. This really is the way it is, and is all proven by Pixel. Stupid things we wouldn't need to question we still question because there is no information surrounding them, so things get stretched out and discussed.

May 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Mybe it is the way it is, but why is it that way? Hecnce the question: Why is Curly Brace written is Quote's hat? :p

May 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
NimoStar said:
Mybe it is the way it is, but why is it that way? Hecnce the question: Why is Curly Brace written is Quote's hat? :D

To clarify, in Cave Story beta, Quote's name used to be "Curly Brace". See here for more information.

Schokobecher said:
We had this discussion.
like 3453 times.

trickybilly said:
It says Curly Brace. Quote was Curly in the beginning as Schoko said. Pixel just left the hat description unchanged.

May 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
carrotlord said:
To clarify, in Cave Story beta, Quote's name used to be "Curly Brace". See here for more information.

I think he was wondering more about how that would fit into the current story, instead of why it originally and still says that. He wants a theory like "Curly gave it to him 'cause they were best buds", something plot related.

He doesn't want to know why Pixel wrote Curly Brace there, he wants to know how that might relate to the story.

May 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM
Banned
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I think he was wondering more about how that would fit into the current story, instead of why it originally and still says that. He wants a theory like "Curly gave it to him 'cause they were best buds", something plot related.

He doesn't want to know why Pixel wrote Curly Brace there, he wants to know how that might relate to the story.

One would assume Curly Brace are the people who manufactured the robots, and Curly thought that it was her name because she read her hat and assumed. Also assuming that Curly did at some point have a hat.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
"Adam Savage said:
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

/tenchars because stuff in quote tags doesn't count

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Curly coming to silly conclusions about her own name wouldn't explain why she comes up with such a specific name for Quote.

I prefer to think that they both had a level of sentience and formed a strong friendship prior to the memory loss. Based on this, one or the other probably wrote her name on his hat.

Perhaps Quote lost the ability to read for a brief while. He clearly has the ability when he begins reading signs though, so that's out the window. Maybe he just never looks at his hat? Maybe his hat doesn't come off and he never looks in a mirror?

The major hole in the game though: it's pretty clear that other characters can read too, since they leave notes for Q, or create the town signs. So why wouldn't they read Q's hat and ask "what is Curly Brace?" The only thing I could think is that this game is in multiple languages. Q is bilingual and can understand the humans and Mimigas, but they can't read the writing of the language of his hat.

This would of course, clash with pet theories that Q/Curly were designed by the expedition team. The problem there though is that the team has Japanese names and presumably reads it and the kanji is Japanese.

Another problem is that Curly knows her own name, yet doesn't seem to react to seeing it written on Q's cap.

Then again, Curly doesn't react to you having her panties either... so... either Curly is VERY absent-minded, like she's afraid to look at Quote closely, or she's keeping a lot bottled up.