May 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Who do you think made them?

Jenka?

May 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Hmm, that would make sense, Jenka pretty much "founded" the island, and the star blocks are grouped hevily around Sand Zone.

But I really don't think it's that important. It's like saying... who put the ? blocks everywhere in mario games? or who would build loops and such in sonic games?

May 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Pirate Member
explosive said:
Hmm, that would make sense, Jenka pretty much "founded" the island, and the star blocks are grouped hevily around Sand Zone.

But I really don't think it's that important. It's like saying... who put the ? blocks everywhere in mario games? or who would build loops and such in sonic games?

It's not. We can still speculate though.

May 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
They were created by the almighty Daisuke Amaya-San,
who in many years, made the honored game:
Doukutsu Monogatari

May 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Been here way too long...
Oh, shut up cultr.
Theories section sin't for dumb facts.

May 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
The island is actually a living being that is made of a hard, rigid substance. It quickly regenerates its insides when whatever danger within has passed. Due to the nature of the substance this creature is made of (i.e., rock), it is covered with white lichens that grow in a star-like pattern. Once the quickly-growing rock is covered by quickly-growing lichens, the lichens invade the inside of the rock and break it apart from the inside, while supporting itself by connecting to the nearby walls and remaining in the shape of the rock it covered, and filled entirely by lichen as opposed to rock, flowering out from the inside like fig flies. As the lichens grow to a point where it cannot absorb sustanence to support itself, it allows its inside portions to die out and let walls of rock re-regenerate inside of the perfectly block-shaped, hollow cube. It continues in this pattern until our hero smashes through it, made easy by the fact that he's cutting through thin chitin that is flimsy enough to smash apart, but containing enough water to prevent itself from burning.

Clearly this is the case, right? I mean, how else could the blocks come back when Quote leaves, or always remain in a block shape?

(Also yes, this is the most retarded thing I've ever said. Ever.)

May 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Fire1052 said:
The island is actually a living being that is made of a hard, rigid substance. It quickly regenerates its insides when whatever danger within has passed. Due to the nature of the substance this creature is made of (i.e., rock), it is covered with white lichens that grow in a star-like pattern. Once the quickly-growing rock is covered by quickly-growing lichens, the lichens invade the inside of the rock and break it apart from the inside, while supporting itself by connecting to the nearby walls and remaining in the shape of the rock it covered, and filled entirely by lichen as opposed to rock, flowering out from the inside like fig flies. As the lichens grow to a point where it cannot absorb sustanence to support itself, it allows its inside portions to die out and let walls of rock re-regenerate inside of the perfectly block-shaped, hollow cube. It continues in this pattern until our hero smashes through it, made easy by the fact that he's cutting through thin chitin that is flimsy enough to smash apart, but containing enough water to prevent itself from burning.

Clearly this is the case, right? I mean, how else could the blocks come back when Quote leaves, or always remain in a block shape?

Eh, I guess that makes more sense...
maybe it's magic

@retarded:
no comment.

May 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Pirate Member
That an umm...Interesting, theory.

May 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I vote for Fire`s theory

May 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
I second that.

May 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Pirate Member
I third that .

May 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I extended-metaphor that.

May 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Fire1052 said:

I'm gonna group this with the Sand Croc Light theory...
:/

May 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
DragonBoots said:
I'm gonna group this with the Sand Croc Light theory...
:/

That would be exactly what I was going for.

May 11, 2010 at 7:30 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I happen to like the Lichin teory, even though I do not know what Lichin is.

However, there is fact about this:
who put the ? blocks everywhere in mario games?
Quoted from TheMushroomKingdom.Net, the best source of facts about Mario:
One day the kingdom of the peaceful mushroom people was invaded by the Koopa, a tribe of turtles famous for their black magic. The quiet, peace-loving Mushroom People were turned into mere stones, bricks and even field horse-hair plants, and the Mushroom Kingdom fell into ruin.

The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and return them to their normal selves is the Princess Toadstool, the daughter of the Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is presently in the hands of the great Koopa turtle king.

Mario, the hero of this story (maybe) hears about the Mushroom People's plight and sets out on a quest to free the Mushroom Princess from the evil Koopa and restore the fallen kingdom of the Mushroom People. You are Mario! It's up to you to save the Mushroom People from the black magic of the Koopa!

-- SMB manual
So in fact, the ?-blocks are transformed toads, or some other type of people found in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Link to source.

May 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Woah, so Mario is smashing innocent townsfolk to pieces on his way to save the Princess?!

That certainly puts a different spin on the game.

May 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Guess why no other manual mentions this. They wanted to make the game feel more innocent. [/ominous voice]

Fun fact, references to the Koopa Tribe's Dark Magic was supposed to be in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door ('Koopa Dark Magic' badge name and sprites in japanese is still in the code of the game, but never made it into the final release).

Perhaps the developpers want to develop this little detail, but Nintendo keeps stating it's a no-no?

And as for the different spin: remember that Sonic, the attitude guy, don't actually destroy the robots (StH1, 2, 3&K), but rathers frees the transformed animals, that happily jumps out and away. Whilst technicolor Mario smashes innocent people to get money.

May 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well, you should know that the stuff in old NES-era American game manuals are largely flavor text added by the American translators/localization teams that doesn't actually have anything to do whatsoever with the actual story of the game or anything. Sometimes it was just never explained (and never MEANT to be explained) from the Japanese release, sometimes it's actually a completely different explanation in Japan. However, if I ever find out that something like that's actually in the original Japanese version of the manuals of any given game (not just SMB) I'd gladly change my mind.

It's kind like this awesome old Sonic the hedgehog comic I used to have that explained the "origins" of Sonic; like, he was originally a brown and very slow hedgehog but Dr. "Kintobor" (Robotnik backwards) invented speed shoes for him.. and that Sonic accidentally spilled eggs on some machine of Kintobor's which messed up all kinds of stuff and transformed him into Robotnik and shaped him like an egg... and spilled out EVERY RING that's EVER BEEN in ANY SONIC GAME all over the world. But I really highly doubt any of this is actually true, or if Sega has, to this day, ever officially given a story or explanation behind the origins of Sonic and Robotnik or the rings. At least we got an explanation behind the Chaos Emeralds.

ANYWAY, though Fire gives an awesome explanation (and promptly ruins it by calling it retarded--EVERYTHING on this subforum is retarded, we don't need to be told) I like to think that the star blocks were made by the hermit. I mean, he's a real genius and heavy-thinker as you can tell by the conversation you have with him for the Spur, and his prize weapon has the whole "star" theme going on. Since we never learn anything about him other than the fact he makes weapons and has a surprisingly poetic and thoughtful mindset, for all we know he's been all over the island building and placing those blocks to protect the innocent Mimigas and humans from the not-so-innocent other beings of the island.

May 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Now that you mention it the trinket you get from chabba in the labrynth has the same design as the star blocks... hmmm...

May 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
The pieces are falling into place...