Cave Story: A Novelization

May 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I wrote this in the space of just under three months, and right now I'm just trying to put the word out for it. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5733045/1/Cave_Story_A_Novelization

I never really know what to say or to express when it comes to advertising my own work, mostly due to my own crippling shyness and apprehensiveness. Cave Story was a tremendous game, and I'm just trying to convey my appreciation for it in my own way, I guess. I've said all that I need to say in my profile about my biggest worries and hurdles over writing and posting it here, if you're interested.

Please try not to jump to any conclusions just because of the website I'm hosting it on - off the top of my head, it's the only place I can post it for free, and I know about it's rather..."inexperienced" reputation. I put in a lot of effort and I lost a lot of sleep over writing this thing and making it the best I can make it, so hopefully anybody who decides to sit down and read this thing will enjoy themselves. I'm, of course, open to criticisms and concerns and reviews.

May 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I've only read a bit of it so far, but it's amazing! This really does the game justice.

May 30, 2010 at 7:00 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll read the rest tomorrow, but FYI, Quote has a green scarf.
It's. Fucking. Green.

May 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I did a Google and Dogpile image search on Quote while I was writing this specifically to get his colours down, and out of every single image, I only saw a green scarf once or twice. I just went with the popular opinion and made it red.

Whichever its colour is, though, you don't have to be so abrasive over it. It's not something that can't be fixed.

May 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Captain Fabulous said:
I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll read the rest tomorrow, but FYI, Quote has a green scarf.
It's. Fucking. Green.

Haha holy shit you're right. I have it down as red in my fic, too. I don't know why, maybe just a lot of the fanart out there, as Jack said, but then again I've looked at the sprite a hell of a lot more than like all the fanart combined. It's weird...

Anyway, I get this idea a lot, to write "novelizations" of games but I never really get around to actually writing them. Like, I think "why bother doing that if the person's going to just play the game and get the story that way anyway?" though at the same time it's really cool to see someone like you actually going through with it. Honestly, it's entertaining enough for me to read despite playing the game. With writing, we're able to put so much more emphasis on important things that the game may not have had the ability to really powerfully convey, and certain moments can be made far more powerful and potent.. plus, the story can be bridged across all the little "gameplay" areas between actual storyline-revealing scenes rather than feeling like you're taking little "breaks from the story" as in actual games themselves. Not that I've even read your fic to see if you did any of this yet, but it's just how I'd see writing a novelization of a game would make for it being even more interesting 8)

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh, this indeed shows promise. It's a great literary transition. You added a lot of depth to even the first scene with Kazuma. Great talent.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I LOVE IT! This is just so awesome. I love how you made some modifications, too! You should totally try writing your own story sometime.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:45 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Don't have time to finish it, knowing how busy I am. It's great that you submitted it to fanfiction.net. It brings memories such as Repercussions of Evil.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My plot twists aren't quite as incredible as RoE :(

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:19 AM
Pirate Member
JackmanB said:
My plot twists aren't quite as incredible as RoE :(

No quote you ARE the crowN!

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I love how
the password to Momorin's hideout was Cave Story backwards.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Audioworm said:
I love how

That's how it is in the WiiWare version, lol.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Audioworm said:
I love how

Doukutsu Monogatari... Litigano Motscoud. I can see where you might think that but it isn't. But that would be pretty BAMF.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
darkcrusader said:
Doukutsu Monogatari... Litigano Motscoud. I can see where you might think that but it isn't. But that would be pretty BAMF.

You mean Ritagano Motsukuudo (Ri = Li in japanese, they don't differentiate between the 2).
Ri-ta-ga-no-mo tsu-ku-u-do
do-u-ku-tsu mo-no-ga-ta-ri

The password was always Doukutsu Monogatari backwards (in japanese, mind you). It was just translated incorrectly in the AG (the PC) version.

EDIT: This is basically a reiteration of what is said in the thread carrotlord linked too, but maybe like me, you were too lazy to click that link in the first place.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You mean Ritagano Motsukuudo (Ri = Li in japanese, they don't differentiate between the 2).
Ri-ta-ga-no-mo tsu-ku-u-do
do-u-ku-tsu mo-no-ga-ta-ri

The password was always Doukutsu Monogatari backwards (in japanese, mind you). It was just translated incorrectly in the AG (the PC) version.

EDIT: This is basically a reiteration of what is said in the thread carrotlord linked too, but maybe like me, you were too lazy to click that link in the first place.

Then I stand corrected, and gladly so. That is pretty BAMF.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Pirate Member
GIR I think I read somewhere that the translator(s) at AGTP purposely translated it to Litagano Motscoud because the original version sounded...weird.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
GIR I think I read somewhere that the translator(s) at AGTP purposely translated it to Litagano Motscoud because the original version sounded...weird.

They could've always done "Yrots Evac", which would've worked.

Ritaganomo tsukuudo does sound kind of weird though, and it was probably in katakana in the original version (all lumped together), so like all other katakana words they tried to translate it to a word that was foreign from japanese.