Pixels Fav Games - References to Other Games in Cave Story

May 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Every CS fan knows Pixel is a guy who does'nt like to give direct answers he prefers to leave it to the players imagination. And upon being asked what his favorite games are he responded "I think anyone who plays Cave Story will figure out which games are my favorites." So with that said its time to figure out Pixels favorites. First off Metroid becuse well, cave story is in many ways like metroid, starting off in a strang cave with no idea where to go or what to do and finding hidden health containders, missile expansions, and weapons along the way.
p99975-0-metroid1.gif

Not so sure if he has played this one but Cave Story is also a lot like Chrono Trigger, same cartoony yet serious art style, a great story with multple endings and if you don't play your cards right one of the main characters will die before the end of the game.
p99975-1-chronotriggerds20080709040734088640w.jpg

Contra too I feal had an influence in CS, the awsome power ups (if only CS had the Spreader :(), the huge, hard bosses and the sense of accomplishment you get from beating them are all present in CS.
diph.php

And now for the less obvious references, the first of wich I have noticed is that Ballos form 3 looks alot like the moon from Majoras Mask.
p99975-3-ballos3.gif
p99975-4-mts2missmsbplayer911452300639themajorasmaskmoonlarge.jpg

Also the floating island thing seemed a little familier too did'nt it?
w8w474.jpg
p99975-6-398975180pxislandlarge.png

Well, thats all I found so if anyone sees anything else please post em here.

p99959-0-11986.png

May 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Not sure about Contra, but metroid really does look similar to cave story in some ways.

May 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm almost certain that there is a list somewhere on this forum of games pixel said he was influenced by. I can't recall off the top of my head, but metroid was definitely there, and the only other one I remember was chubby cherub on account of it being such a terrible game.

May 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
sontroid said:
And now for the less obvious references, the first of wich I have noticed is that Ballos form 3 looks alot like the moon from Majoras Mask.
p99975-3-ballos3.gif
p99975-4-mts2missmsbplayer911452300639themajorasmaskmoonlarge.jpg

You might say they look alike, but if you were to over-analyze it, you would have to note that Ballos's appearance is entirely due to being ONE CRAAAAAAAAZY MOTHERFUCKER, and not because he was "designed to rip off a Zelda game." I'm entirely sure he wasn't intended to look like the moon because of the way he transforms.

sontroid said:
Also the floating island thing seemed a little familier too did'nt it?
w8w474.jpg
p99975-6-398975180pxislandlarge.png

The CS island is flat and covered by buildings. I really see no similarity besides the "floating island" thing. There've been lots of those.

May 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Fire1052 said:
You might say they look alike, but if you were to over-analyze it, you would have to note that Ballos's appearance is entirely due to being ONE CRAAAAAAAAZY MOTHERFUCKER, and not because he was "designed to rip off a Zelda game." I'm entirely sure he wasn't intended to look like the moon because of the way he transforms.
The CS island is flat and covered by buildings. I really see no similarity besides the "floating island" thing. There've been lots of those.

Well not only that but part of the story is keeping the island in the air, also does'nt the way in th 2nd ending Quote falls down off screen, only to have the camera pan down and see that he was caught by Kazuma seem a little like sonic 2s ending? I'm not saying there similarities are a bad thing either, I have full respect for Pixel, Shigeru Miyamoto has said openly that the design of link was based on Peter Pan, one of his favorite movies from his childhood.

May 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Nice job finding that.

May 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Hmm... Looking at those images, an memory came floating... This is not the best footage, but look at the top-right corner:
diph.php

Although small, the flying island of Bob-Omb Battlefield is indeed flat. And Whomp's Fortess is a whole building more than an island. Now, if we were to look at the portrait of Whomp's Fortress:
*can't find any footage*
Anyway, the painting you jump into to enter that level, looks (at least inside my memory) quite a bit like that Island as well. Well, it has buildings on it and is roughly the same color.