Ballos: Was he really sealed fully away?

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
To start off my argument, I would like to call my first witness: the creepy door-guarding eye at the start or the game.

Was this the doctor? I don't think so. The Doc doesn't seem to worry about Quote until Misery and Ballos find him. If I saw one of my cameras (cause I have to assume an evil looking eye has no other purpose than this.) go down, I'd be all like "Oh snot, someone took out one of mah cameras! That means they're getting guns! Quickly send a unit down there and try to defuse this situation." Or for that matter, if I could spawn in eyes like that, I would be putting them in more places, and not just some dead-end cave.

No, Ballos wasn't ever truly confined. The crown itself is proof of that. He has to be the one who was in the first cave, and I dare say HE may in fact be responsible for re-activating Quote!

Anyone else think so?

Edit: on a side note, I would like to mention that it is 1 AM when I am writing this, and I might not really be making as much sense as I feel I am. (I'm either a mad-man right now, or a genius... Probably both.)

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I was expecting this post to be something I could reply to with "he died three times yes I think he's gone now" but it ended up going in a completely different direction.

This is actually a pretty interesting assumption. That really is the ONLY enemy like that in the game, huh? It could easily be just written off as some random enemy that serves no real special purpose or meaning, and a LOT of enemies, objects, traps and whatnot throughout the game have eyeball designs/red eyes which is a theme that goes back to the Demon Crown and Ballos.

Really, I highly doubt that The Doctor even knew about that cave at all, or else he'd probably have done something about forcing Quote and/or the weapons hermit to work for him. You could say the door was built by the hermit to protect him from the rest of the cave system or just to separate him from the Mimigas or something, but why would he do the whole red-eye thing? It's interesting to think it could be Ballos that early in the game, but Pixel put a lot of little hidden things everywhere and something that you could only possibly notice or piece together on a subsequent playthrough sounds logical. The only thing that seems to debunk this theory is that if Ballos has known about you so long and especially if he reactivated you, you'd think he'd reference it even in some slight way in his dialogue. Then again, he seems to want you to destroy him, knowing that's his only way to free his soul finally, and perhaps he knew from the beginning that he wanted Quote in particular to come to him because he knew he was the only one capable of actually defeating him at full power. And I guess he didn't have a real reason to go over it with Quote in words.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Basically:
1. Door monster finds door entrance.
2. Door monster stands in door entrance.
3. Door monster attacks anyone passing through door entrance.

I see no relation to Ballos.

As for Quote, he woke up after intercepting a transmission from Kazuma.

As for Ballos being fully sealed, no. The creation of red flowers is enough evidence for that. Though it is sealed enough that Ballos couldn't do anything.. until some silly robot decided to come along and destroy the core. :(

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Uh... in the credits, it sez
Possessed by something
(door pic)The Door
Hang on, I'll try to get a screenshot...
And Ballos couldnt get out of the seal chamber. There's no NPC on the door.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ragnaroq said:
I was expecting this post to be something I could reply to with "he died three times yes I think he's gone now" but it ended up going in a completely different direction.

This is actually a pretty interesting assumption. That really is the ONLY enemy like that in the game, huh? It could easily be just written off as some random enemy that serves no real special purpose or meaning, and a LOT of enemies, objects, traps and whatnot throughout the game have eyeball designs/red eyes which is a theme that goes back to the Demon Crown and Ballos.

Really, I highly doubt that The Doctor even knew about that cave at all, or else he'd probably have done something about forcing Quote and/or the weapons hermit to work for him. You could say the door was built by the hermit to protect him from the rest of the cave system or just to separate him from the Mimigas or something, but why would he do the whole red-eye thing? It's interesting to think it could be Ballos that early in the game, but Pixel put a lot of little hidden things everywhere and something that you could only possibly notice or piece together on a subsequent playthrough sounds logical. The only thing that seems to debunk this theory is that if Ballos has known about you so long and especially if he reactivated you, you'd think he'd reference it even in some slight way in his dialogue. Then again, he seems to want you to destroy him, knowing that's his only way to free his soul finally, and perhaps he knew from the beginning that he wanted Quote in particular to come to him because he knew he was the only one capable of actually defeating him at full power. And I guess he didn't have a real reason to go over it with Quote in words.

You make some good points there. But then again, you also counter them pretty well too. XD

andwhyisit said:
Basically:
1. Door monster finds door entrance.
2. Door monster stands in door entrance.
3. Door monster attacks anyone passing through door entrance.

I see no relation to Ballos.

As for Quote, he woke up after intercepting a transmission from Kazuma.

As for Ballos being fully sealed, no. The creation of red flowers is enough evidence for that. Though it is sealed enough that Ballos couldn't do anything.. until some silly robot decided to come along and destroy the core. :(

The monster looks JUST like one of the big ol' red eyes on Ballos' coat/chest. That's why I'm saying it may have been Ballos, and there hasn't been another one in the game. If it was a random monster, I don't think there'd only be one. And like I said before, it couldn't be the doctor, since he probably would've been aware of Quote much earlier on then, cause even if it ain't a camera, it seems he would probably have at least noticed it go down, since it does appear to be so completely tied to either the crown or Ballos.

sixtyseconds said:
Uh... in the credits, it sez
Possessed by something
(door pic)The Door
Hang on, I'll try to get a screenshot...
And Ballos couldnt get out of the seal chamber. There's no NPC on the door.

No, not that door. The one on the door in the first cave that leads to the Mimiga village. Ya know, the thing you usually ALWAYS jump up into at the start of the game 'cause you forget it's even there? (Least I usually jump into it... Unless of course it kills me, in which case I'm a little more cautious with my next life)

And I'm not say he himself could truly get out, I'm just saying he could sort of reach out of his chamber.....

Edit: On another note, how do I subscribe to threads? And also how do I change my picture?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Conspiracy theory

aztectornado said:
That's why I'm saying it may have been Ballos, and there hasn't been another one in the game. If it was a random monster, I don't think there'd only be one.
*Cough* Chinfish and Counter Bomb *Cough*
There's two more random monsters that only show up once.
Just because the Possessed Door only appeared once doesn't mean there has to be some connection between it and the storyline, just look at the other two random monsters mentioned.
We also have a ton of other random things that don't make much sense, like Pooh Black or Monster X. What's their connection to Cave Story?
I think this theory's just a bit over the edge, Pixel just wanted to create a monster to pwn people at the beginning of the game.
Once is enough {And hilarious}, using it again would only be annoying, not to mention ineffective once the player gains enough HP, so that's why we never see it again.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

Ending Credits

I think your theory is pretty good actually...! Ballos seems to be a puppet of his own wild magic, so although Ballos is probably not directly watching through every red eye you find... I might imagine there could be some connection.

I personally like to think that Ballos' influence has leaked out like a cancer on the island. While he may be sealed, his magic is not. It rages out of control even now!
... it causes (magical) mutations and may influence the behavior of certain individuals. Red flowers, red eyed powerful monsters... maybe even Spikes to grow?
Why does Ballos want to crash the island? Why doesn't he kill himself if that's what he wants? I think the magic controls him, he cannot even die... "please kill my master..."
If the island would land on the earth, maybe his wild magic would take root into the earth, causing even greater mayhem and mutations!

Ballos may have been sealed for sure, otherwise why does he sit in his tomb/throne room forever... But, his magic...

The eye though is more like the slow spread of cancer upon the island... Another mark of his influence, albiet probably not directly connected. Although, it could be interesting if it was. He can see everything, but cannot do anything...
The Demon Crown is proof that his magic can be leaked out or sent out of his seal room. As long as Ballos lives, the crown will return... Maybe the crown is kind of like a magnet for absorbing the radiation..[his wild magic]

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM
This is more proof for that one theory where it was all Ballos's plan to have Quote wake up and kill Ballos, since he couldn't commit suicide any other way. We'll never know how much of Quote's adventure was orchestrated by Ballos, but I like to think the door was a spy and also a test.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM
"Huzzah!"
If it was a test, then we all failed on our first try. Then that means we weren't destined to ever deafeat Ballos...
onoz

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Tsk, tsk...

Mike73 said:
If it was a test, then we all failed on our first try. Then that means we weren't destined to ever deafeat Ballos...
onoz
Wait, what's all this 'we' stuff?
:o

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:57 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
"we" referring to all cavestory players, or "we" as in Quote and Curly. Hopefully not "Wii would like to play Cavestory Wii", cuz that'll just spark controversy.

Getting killed by the door isn't a sign of failure. It's hard (though possible) to play the game without ever getting killed (and thus, never needing to save). But it's just a game. Getting killed does not mean losing forever. (in most games, that is...)

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Mr. Literal?

I knew what he meant by 'we', I was just making a joke about not having died to the door, like he had.
That's what the ':rolleyes:' was for.
:o

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:30 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
The real trick is how many talked to the door... and survived :o

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM
"..."
*1st time through*
"Ah, this cave wasn't so ba...what's that?
........It's looking at me...Eh, oh well." *gun fires, door vanishes*

I'l admit I shoot at everything that moves in Cave Story. It blinks, I shoot it, it hops, same thing. I'm a little trigger happy like that :o

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM
inactive user
aztectornado said:
No, not that door. The one on the door in the first cave that leads to the Mimiga village. Ya know, the thing you usually ALWAYS jump up into at the start of the game 'cause you forget it's even there? (Least I usually jump into it... Unless of course it kills me, in which case I'm a little more cautious with my next life)

Actually, that's what I meant.
p97728-0-11l7srm.jpg

And if you open Seal Chamber in SW or CE there is no <TRA for exiting to the Corridor.
I was talking about 2 different things. Sorry I confused you.

Also, you need 7 days+10 posts to set a picture/avatar.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think Ballos was fully sealed away. He can`t get out of that chamber. But I think for some extent he could monitor or sense what`s happening on the island. Like having "input and no output":p, or as a prisoner who can whatch through the window of his cell. But really I don`t know, it`s just a hunch.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ballos has the all seeing eye!

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
inactive user
Mike73 said:
Ballos has the all seeing eye!

Which one? The red one or the white one?

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM
"Huzzah!"
The red one. All of the spy eyes are red.

This theory about Ballos being everywhere reminds me of a MM theory I read before.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM
"..."
The following is a mixed influx of multiple thoughts hitting the same brainwave at once.

Hm, I think he was "sealed" though the door was always open. If, for example, I drop you into a room with a door 20 feet in the air, and the opening of said door is about 1/4 the size of your body, let's see you not be "sealed", :( (25% wide, by the way...)

Magic, however, is perfectly able to go through things, Leaking out (Like X-Cal said) like a cancer, infecting everything it comes in contact with. (Flowers may have, due to the magic's madness, become the red flowers, but that's a whole different ball of string.) But, perhaps the red eyes are like Psi transmitters, allowing anything which has become infected to fall under the will of Ballos, or the one in control of his crown. (And before I blow a hole in the side of my head, I will stop now.)