Hell Mod Contest *VOTING THREAD*: COMPLETED!

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:27 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The incredibly thick and wavy deadline has been reached, so it's time to vote! But wait there's no poll?! In that case, check out these super special awesome VOTING GUIDELINES!!

-I didn't make a poll because it only allows voting for one option, and because someone might change their mind afterward. Instead, I have opted for a bold voting method. This will be explained below.

Please don't hesitate to mention if you're having any difficulty completing a mod.

-In order to vote you must have played through all four completed Hell mods. Incomplete mods are optional due to being incomplete, but you can still vote for/mention them if you wish. As a token of my infinite benevolence (and thecrown's idea >_>), I have created a Vote Package! containing all eight mods. It's a tad large, so you may also wish to download only the completed mods, which can be done manually from here. Also note that to play Super Luigi Hell you will need a SNES emulator and a Super Mario World ROM to patch, which you must find yourself. Oh and you only need to play one of the Mod Of Hell versions.

-Since Hell mods are generally kind of... well... hard, and we don't all have heaps of time, you will be allowed to cheat a bit to reach the end, as long as you don't change any of the code within the mod itself. To this end, I have also included a copy of the Ultimate Doukutsu Trainer in the Vote Package!. In case you're not sure, it must be in the same folder as the CS exe you wish you run, the exe must be named Doukutsu (so change it back if it's been altered), and the game must already be running.

-You do not need to have contributed to the contest to vote! All that's needed is to have played all four mods. If you want more background on a mods' history or that of the contest as a whole, it might be a good idea to check out the link above.

-Once you've at least played all the necessary mods, you can submit your vote for the best in bold (an explanation would be nice as well). Feel free to give votes for a runner-up, or special mentions to mods that you feel are nearly as good as your top pick, but please don't rank them all in order. Votes will be tallied normally at the end, with maybe some close calls being decided by such extra mentions.

-How to judge is mostly up to you, but remember these are challenge mods rather than story mods. Level design and integrity are very important, but so are creativity and ingenuity, and of course difficulty. If you have to use the trainer to beat a mod, this may be a good thing!

I think that's everything? D: If I missed anything please mention it. Anyway I still need to finish playing these mods so I can't vote yet myself. OFF TO WORK!

EDIT: Oh and post times too if you have them!

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Re: Hell Mod Contest *VOTING THREAD*

DoubleThink said:
-In order to vote you must have played through all four completed Hell mods.

As a token of my infinite benevolence (and thecrown's idea >_>), I have created a Vote Package! containing all eight mods.

I recommend you state, in bold or so it's very clear, which of the mods are complete. Sure, we could go look at the other thread, but in the end I'd like to think that I'm lazier than that.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:55 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Download it and you'll see how I've done that :o

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Been here way too long...

THotS
Blahdee blah really nice level design, pretty good story-thing, and I'm pretty sure it had some other stuff as well. also, it was HARD.

Runner up is cheeses mod, even though it was really short.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"

DoubleThink said:
bold voting!
all four completed Hell mods!
you will be allowed to cheat a bit to reach the end!
bold!
BOLD!?
Anyway, I vote for Fahrenheit's mod.

Oh, yeah, I liked the confusing, non-linear nature of the maps and the minigames.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM
Been here way too long...

reasons, si'l vous plait

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:52 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

DoubleThink`s mod
Because: Really good gameplay due to clever level design. And no bugs found in the mod. Simply: stable and fun.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Oh derp, I forgot to mention, people can't vote for their own mods, in case there was actually any question about that.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Okay Mod Of Hell is kind of completely broken. I was going to allow people to hack in the Booster 2.0 to complete it, but Sue's Workshop doesn't load the maps, Cave Editor crashes when I try to edit the script, and the old version of CE I have crashes when I try to save the script. Halp ploz :/

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:28 PM
"Huzzah!"

I vote for... INVISIBLE Hell Because its fucking hard..

Special Mention to Wedge of Cheese's Hell If I know and Safusuka's S.H.
because of their awesome soundtrack.

I edit My Mod using CE(CaveEditor98d), and you know what happens when Sue meets CE..

well If you can't edit the script, I can edit it for you..

also

take the short cut, use the bubbler(deals 500 dmg) and life pot if low on health.
p96313-0-msq003.gif

p96313-1-lzmrq.png

p96313-2-1bbcc.png

p96313-3-3vf6p.png

p96313-4-bwtu4.png

Mr.Mind-Rider, here!

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

I wasn't even up to that I don't think, I just kept on missing one jump on those later maps and getting sent back to the save point. Then I had to do the 3x3 door puzzle again every single time and I just got tired of it -_-

The latest version that I downloaded is 0.98e, which for some reason seems to be incompatible D: Thanks for the edit.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:06 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

OKAY I've finished them all, so now is the time... to VOTE!!! And the Wordy Git's Award for Moddiest Hell Mod goes to

S. H.

because how the hell (pun not intended) did this get ignored, seriously. The new music and tileset are both jawesome, and the scripting and design are a huge improvement over that last thingy Safusaka did. It's also got some length to it, which is what held some of the other entries back. Speaking of which...

The receivers of the Slightly Patronising Award for Mods That Were Nearly As Good, in no particular order, are
-Hell If I Know!, for general competence and neato spooky track remixes,
-Super Luigi Hell, for trying something new and for I imagine being a lot harder to hack than CS, and
-What The Hell, for being my favourite of the completed mods and a good first effort.

And now a quick vote rank, mostly to hopefully regenerate some interest in this:
1. THotS - 2 votes
2. S. H. - 1 vote + 1 bonus
3. Mod Of Hell/Invisible Hell - 1 vote

FYI to all, I'm not letting the next contest start until we get enough votes for this one. Votes from other participants would be nice, as would votes from one Whyme McFawfulstein. Considering the effort that everyone has put into this I would hope for at least 15. Even if you only play the completed mods and invinci-speed through them that's technically okay, and it should only take an evening at most. Please mention if you're having trouble completing them, and myself or someone else will offer advices.

!VOTE NOW!

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Can I judge based on technical criteria...?
Kinda not on the best comp for a hell mod. :D

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Elaborate on "technical criteria"

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

okay after playing all of these its my opinion that Hell If I Know! was the best mod submitted to the contest because

-original puzzles and ideas, especially the bute dodging section
-no graphical glitchiness (i.e. floating spikes)
-difficulty was just right

and i have to say that super luigi hell is pretty awesome too but because its essentially a remake of an already existing stage i cant vote it first

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Oh hey a ninja edit, I missed that. In that case vote rank:

1. THotS - 2 votes
2. Hell If I Know! - 1 vote + 3 bonus
3. S. H. - 1 vote + 1 bonus
4. Mod Of Hell/Invisible Hell - 1 vote

Keep 'em coming folks.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

THotS
I also made you a cookie in case you were hungry

May 28, 2010 at 1:39 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Hi, long time no post.

I remember playing all of these as they came out and I liked ThoTs the most. The final boss was amazing.

I also enjoyed S.H. because of the kick-ass soundtrack.

I'm sad that no one likes my mod...

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:00 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

i r hateing it when link -> link ->broken happens.

i guess i cant vote because Mod Of Hell got too damn annoying to finish.