Tower Story

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
diph.php

Peace!

I want to introduce my mod “Tower Story”. It’s my first mod and will highly likely be my last one too. It’s a sequel to the good ending of cave story~
I started this mod after I finished hell (with a terrible time…), because I was still fascinated by the cave story universe.

Btw, sorry for my bad English. I’m trying my best to avoid mistakes, but I’m still doing lots of grammatical errors.

Let’s get to the mod now.

diph.php

The storys featuring a new unnamed robot, built in a small workshop. He’s a part of the Damien army, an army of robots, residing in a huge mechanical tower. But our new robot is not an usual one (who would have guessed~), as he’s getting his orders by the master himself, Damien. The newbie has to solve a problem with a native tribe – and he shouldn’t solve this by shooting them. Sent as a diplomat, he’ll soon notice that this isn’t the only problem. Many
disasters are disturbing the order of the once so safe tower…

diph.php

- Mute hero – because we can’t have enough of them
- Small Sprite edits, many new sprites for the enemies

I’m not able to assembly hack and my sprites are not that good, but I try to get the best out of my work.

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

diph.php

Download: TowerStory.rar / Update: 13.01.2011

The playtime is around 15-25 minutes.

I hope that you'll enjoy playing the demo and would appreciate it, if you could report bugs and other mistakes.

Peace!

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:16 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And another useless not-yet-played review!

Don't you just love it when a random mod pops up out of no where?
This looks interesting, and though I haven't played it myself yet, I've already got some hopes up for this :)
And you've done all this without having to ask {and probably repeat} questions on the forums :D
I already like this guy.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM
Been here way too long...
well seeing as it appears I'm the only person who's olayed this mod, I feel like I need to give a review.
I'm impressed.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
i fail at platforming without the booster, so I can't get past the second "room"

love all of the sprite edits, and overall great job with the mod so far! Definitly better then mine, cause I just fail.

@VoidMage:

Hey, I came close. I just had a script error and couldn't find flag info.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Your grammar is fine for the most part, even excellent, aside from the odd word placement. The scenes once you reach the top of the tower are especially brilliant, I hope the GG2 guys see this one :) Level designs are very good, aside from the jumping though overhanging slopes/enemies walking off into air in that one area. I like how there are optional paths to take, and the general climb-y feel the tower has. The spritework is great, seriously, everything looks very smooth and well-designed. Damien looks kind of wonky when he walks but that's about it. My favourite ones are the big yellow bots :D

Only part I didn't like was the battle in the generator room. The not-Behemoths can only be jumped off at random, and there are so many Beetles they'll likely bounce you off into the spikes, or muck around just below you where you can't shoot at them. Some of them spawn so high up they sit inside the wall and never get anywhere near you. It's also very easy to trap the Basil/sawblade thing out of the battle arena entirely when the blocks spawn at the start, and if that's there, is it really necessary to have all the spikes in the first place?

Otherwise, mucho impressive, it's great seeing all these newcomers making great stuff all on their own. This one's a lot of fun, and the effort you're putting into it shows.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM
you're grammar is prolly better then mine, and I'm a native english-speaker-person, so you really don't hafta worry about that. Also, to my knowledge, you're only the second person to do a firstpostmodpost, which is pretty impressive. I'm going to play more of it later, as I died about halfway through, and forgot to save.
O.o

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Also, to my knowledge, you're only the second person to do a firstpostmodpost, which is pretty impressive.
O.o

Third, at least. You're forgetting either me or Mike1108 (although mine wasn't much of a mod at the time >.>)

And, since I've posted in your thread, I'll make a commitment to give your mod a play sometime in the near future.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:27 AM
fourth then.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I played through the whole demo and I have to say it`s very good!

Keep up the good work!

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Peace!

First to say, didn't think that I would get such a good feedback.
And thanks for playing it!

Let's get to the criticism~

igotsthepower9000 said:
i fail at platforming without the booster, so I can't get past the second "room"
Well, didn't think either that this part would make any problems.
I made that part a bit easier (the first jump which gets you out of the tower, right?).
But I won't do this another time, except it's really impossible (and I'm normally checking it several times).

DoubleThink said:
Only part I didn't like was the battle in the generator room. The not-Behemoths can only be jumped off at random, and there are so many Beetles they'll likely bounce you off into the spikes, or muck around just below you where you can't shoot at them. Some of them spawn so high up they sit inside the wall and never get anywhere near you. It's also very easy to trap the Basil/sawblade thing out of the battle arena entirely when the blocks spawn at the start, and if that's there, is it really necessary to have all the spikes in the first place?
The Beetles are supposed to kick you off, it would be really easy without them. I deleted those, who are flying too high or too low, but I won't delete the Beetles who are flying on the right height to pull you down. It's just a part of the bossfight~
I don't know how you fought against the boss, but it's way easier if you concentrate on shooting the Beetles first and the Boss afterwards.
Btw, you don't have to jump at all - just bounce off at the end.

The Basil was just a graphical treat, nothing necessery.
Kicked him out of the new version~

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I just finished it, and I must say I rather enjoyed this mod. The difficulty felt just about right to me, and the graphics overall were very nice (Although I must agree, Damien does look a bit funny when walking). I think you should keep the sawblade thing; It doesn't have a big impact, and it looks cool to have it there.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:39 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
King_Rasta said:
Peace!

First to say, didn't think that I would get such a good feedback.
And thanks for playing it!

Let's get to the criticism~

Well, didn't think either that this part would make any problems.
I made that part a bit easier (the first jump which gets you out of the tower, right?).
But I won't do this another time, except it's really impossible (and I'm normally checking it several times).

~

I guess it didn't help that I was playing at 2 in the morning :) Actually, it only took me a few tries to finish that jump, I just kept falling to my death. Lol, I suck.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played the whole mod, and I am thuroughly(sp?) impressed. I loved the whole story line so far, and as for the difficulty? Just right. I especially liked how you added in the idea of bouncing on the "cleaning bots"? to get over the spikes. Very nice puzzler element. It definetely keeps you on your tows. I can't wait for more.

~~~~~~~~~~~
sasracer

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
First of all, you make very good sprite of textbox.
Yeah, there are many new sprites, but not all of them good.
How many mute heroes we have right now? 3 or 4?
Don't see at least one new tileset, so yeah...This is bad.
After all, this, as i can say, good beginning of a good mod.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
NECROPOST

Nah, well, maybe it is one - but my post wouldn't be worth to open a new thread for.

Just wanted to say, that my project is still in progress - very slowly.
I managed to get a bit more done than usual in the past days, but there is still a long way to the next demo - let alone the full version.

Here are some new screenshots:

diph.php

The monsters in the dark caves are masters of camouflage...
... and they are not happy with the new intruder.

diph.php

Come on, it was quite obvious that we'd meet our favourite... plushys again.

So, I hope that you like the new screen and for all who didn't play the demo yet:
Do it, you know you want to!

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I like the new tiles you made in the second screeny

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
N-N-N-Necropost. again.

Only here to announce that I have to set the project on ice.
Didn't get time for it for like half a year and won't get any time for it for the next year either.

Well, I'm only throwing this post in to publish the work I've managed to get done this far (as it would otherwise just rot on my computer).

TowerStoryV3.rar
There is a savegame inside so you can begin where the previous demo ended.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
it's always sad to see a mod project die for any reason. too bad we have this stupid thing called "life" that gets in the way all the time