CaveStory Modded (Nameless for now)

May 24, 2006 at 11:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Here is my mod: Cavestory Modded.

It requires a bit of testing and a good idea for a name.

Oh, and don't press load when you launch the mod for the first time. It was used to verify if my boss bug is fixed, but if you want to help, do so FIRST.

Or load a new game and don't save.

Oh, and i'fve changed the death text a bit.

Instead of asking if you want to continue, it leads you to the menu, where you can reload by pressing Load.

Now, the download link!

http://www.mytempdir.com/687591

NOTE: Here is the list of things to do.

If you can help, i'll credit you.
-Make the second cutscene
-Make Mystical Forest
-Do The Cork (1) boss
-Make Dark Temple
-Make Ravenous Mimiga boss
*=You can't help
(-)=You can give me suggestions
The next release will be released when all of this is done.

May 24, 2006 at 11:46 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I just played through what part of it works >_>..

Well..the first cave thing is kinda retarded..I nearly died trying to get to the first weapon so I could actually defend myself. Maybe you could start with a weapon rather than having to go get it..?(Not to mention getting the polar star from the hermit gunsmith..again..is kinda wierd based storyline wise...since this is to be assumed that this is after Balrog and Quote became not enemies.)

And both paths in the first cave lead to the same area o_o? What's the meaning of this!?

Oh yeah...and if you say "No" to the mail, you get a long message of symbols and unreadable junk..which seemed to go on forever (I hit reset)..

In the 2nd area thingie..you can't go back out once you enter. Also when you get to the terminal area, the insta death plasma guy is still roaming around. And the boss is broke from what I played..soon as I enter and he says his text and appeared, it says he's dead and it cycles the same thing over and over.

And the going back to the main menu thingie...seems..a bit pointless really...>_>

On a plus side..I liked the level design of the areas >_>

May 24, 2006 at 11:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The junk thing is a bug i encountered when i was testing by myself. Oh, and the "Both doors lead to Dangerous Alley bug", i found it too, because i had one of the events use the one that leads to the Save Point, so it leads directly to Dangerous Alley.

I'll try to fix it.

And in the Boss area, it's the boss bug i said in the main post, and i don't have a freakin' idea how to fix it, though.

Well, i'll copy&paste the original death message back in...

I'll start fixing, should be done by tommorow or 2 days from now.

May 24, 2006 at 4:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Looks like a good start. Here are some things to work on that haven't been said already. Biggest problem is the boss not working, it stops us from progressing further.

* "quote it's balrog, we've been (new line here) kidnapped" after please hurry and help us it sounds like there is more text, but you can't see it.

* Dialog probls with blue robot. No picture shows up when u get booster.

* Life up in dangerous alley dosn't work.

* Why do 2 computers lower pillar 2? The top one is kinda pointless.

* Some doors don't work. Door after the 2 pillars for example.

May 24, 2006 at 4:44 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
My review

The first cave was a bit hard, then again if someone like me got through it, it's probably not necessary to change anything. :0
The boss fight got stuck on me....
I reloaded the save file and found that I was trapped between pillar 1 and 2.
The computer only lowers pillar 2 so you're stuck and that's where I am.
It looks like you may have a nice mod, when you get the bugs worked out.

May 24, 2006 at 7:33 PM
The Boss room is the last i've edited, so don't worry.

But, i can't seem to find out how to fix this one though.

May 24, 2006 at 11:18 PM
Yeah I have been having the same problems. I suggest getting rid of the Basil plasma guy and using the original Egg Corridor Life Capsule script and setting it to that event. I have been having the Prison Keeper porblem also which I can't help with. You should ask for shining phantoms help or any of the other modders on that matter.

May 25, 2006 at 10:40 AM
Well, anyways, i think i rid myself of the bug by using a terminal.

LONG LIFE TO TERMINALS!!! :p

Django: But why you don't want Basil in this level?

It makes things too hard?

May 25, 2006 at 11:59 AM
Let's just say this... To get into that area you need to activate to terminals right? Well as soon as I activate the first one(on the bottom) the basil kills me... It can stay in but I don't care. Also I have a name for your game. Cave Story: Escape

May 25, 2006 at 2:33 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
"Cave Story:Zero" Is also a good name.

Well as for a MOD I liked it but atleast make a wall near the bottom terminal so to make sure the Basil wont go there and kill you while you're busy activating the terminal.

And the other bug is obviusly fix the boss bug*Sigh*It keeps repeating forever.

May 25, 2006 at 6:14 PM
"..."
Leave the basil. It dosn't make it too hard at all.

This is what I would change tho. Either change <KEY to <PRI on your terminal events to freeze the basil so it's not moving while you are reading. Or take the <WAI out and put a <NOD at the end of the text. That way the player decides when the event ends, so we can just wait for the basil to pass then get off the computer. I'm a fan of that idea because it will teach the player that he's invincible durring events. Something that I believe is impossible to learn durring a normal game.

This MIGHT fix your boss problem. Add flag 200 to event 400 floating in the air, then change the script as follows.

<KEY<MSGNobody will touch
to my system!<NOD<CLO<CMU0022<CNP0401:0160:0000<BSL0401<CNP0400:0000:0000<DNP0400<END

<KEY<MSGKilled The Prison Keeper!<WAI0050<NOD<CLO<DNP0401<END
Now this fix isn't pretty, but it works. P-Black dosn't have the death animation he should, so be sure to look through the normal game script and find out what command makes that happen. You also need to set some kind of flag that will make event 400 invisable after the fight, otherwise you can come back and fight him over and over. There is nothing keeping you from walking out the door durring the fight, and the music dosn't change back to normal after the fight. So this script is fuctional, but as i said before, it's not pretty.

The door in egg zero takes you too the wrong place btw.

It's a good start, don't give up.

May 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM
You can remove the extra pillar 2 terminal if you put both pillars before the save point.

The second heart capsule doesn't work.

Also, when you pick up the first heart capsule, it says you gained 3 HP, but you actually gain 5.

Pretty much everything else I was going to say has been said already.

May 26, 2006 at 1:43 AM
Well, i've fixed the boss bug, completed a new area, and... working on the prison system room.

I will maybe post screenies...

EDIT: I'm sorry, but i won't be able to submit it today. I'm currently at school, so my progress is halted. It may take longer before next release, but don't worry! I'm still working on it!

May 28, 2006 at 1:20 PM
Sorry for double post, but nobody's been replying. BTW, i need help on how to use the Curly AI.

May 29, 2006 at 11:53 AM
I will check it out as I am downloading it right now

May 29, 2006 at 1:48 PM
I'll check it out when I get back home in a few days.

May 29, 2006 at 2:44 PM
Well... i can't wait for your comments!

Oh, and BTW, there are a few glitches i couldn't fix, like the garbage when you say no to the mail, the there are two doors that lead to Dangerous Alley... i'll fix when i'll be home for dinner.

May 29, 2006 at 4:47 PM
There's an urgent fix! I've fixed a glitch where in the Control Room of The Emergency route, it keeps adding junk if you check the terminal after shutting the forcefield.

http://www.mytempdir.com/700155

May 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM
"..."
Glad you added the data folder with this update.

jeffreymaher9@hotmail.com said:
Oh, and BTW, there are a few glitches i couldn't fix, like the garbage when you say no to the mail
It was a mechanics glitch. Your script said "YNJ<501" change that to this "YNJ0501" and it'll work. Always use 4 digits, and < isn't sposed to be there.

* You can move while you get map system, dont' forget to start with <PRI or <KEY.
* There is a game ending script error when you get the mapsystem... It appears to come from this.

<CNP0500:0000:0000<MSGThere's something buried here...<NOD<CLR<CMU0010<GIT1002<IT+0002
Got the =Map System=.<WAI0160<NOD<
dirty, but still functional.<NOD

Take out the bold underlined less than and it should work fine.
I would take out the text where it explains what buttons do what, alot of people are going to be playing with different button setups. I use a ps2 pad for example. Knowing that w opens the item screen is useless to me.

However I'm not going to continue playing because it's pretty clear you haven't play tested this once.