Magic in Cave Story

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Many stories have their own way of explaining how magic works. What I am wondering is what are the rules behind magic in CS? What is the source? What are the limitations? What types of spells require more effort to perform? Or less for that matter? How do the various spells work under these rules?

Also I am particularly interested in the Balfrog transformation since none of Balrog's attacks change with the transformation. Also has anyone noticed that Misery cannot move horizontally when she floats? I am willing to bet that she repels herself from the floor, but she most likely can't push herself away from the wall like that. Take the MG for instance. You can use momentum to drive it sideways, but you can only ever push up from the ground.

Anyway, discuss. Before I unknowingly write a wall of text. :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Ah, this should be an interesting thread! :rolleyes:

Alright, I like your idea about only vertical hovering. Your claim that Balfrog's attacks don't change isn't quite correct, however. He couldn't make frogs fall from the ceiling when he was in his "normal" form.

I've always wondered, what are the limits on teleportation? There must be some limits, because if there weren't, The Doctor wouldn't have needed the storehouse key; he could have just teleported into the storehouse using the Crown.

Which brings me to my next question: what are the differences between "wizard powers" (like Misery's and Ballos's and Jenka's) and powers given by the Demon Crown?

And what the fuck is the Red Crystal!? I've never been satisfied with The Doctor's explanation that it was just highly concentrated Red Flower juice that works on humans as well as mimigas, because Red Flowers make you lose yourself and go crazy, and the Red Crystal clearly did not have that effect on The Doctor (at least not until you beat his first form).

Well, I was gonna write more, but I have to leave now so just discuss what I've said so far kthxbai

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Sandzone

That is confusing...
Why didnt the doctor just teleport to the sandzone storehouse? Maybe pixel did not think of that, well i will admit when i played the game i completely forgot he could teleport when balrog was looking for the key. So well done for pointing that out.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I think we've had a thread like this like six times already and already figured everything out like six times. I could seriously just go back and quote the old threads and I'd answer all of your questions.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Creating A Legacy...
well

Well it was andywhyisit who started this post,
he runs this forum along with skyewelse so if youve got a problem with this i could more than happily tell him you dont like what he is doing

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:06 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Moderating doesn't equal running. No offense, andwhy. Also, if there is a similar thread already, there was no reason to post this one.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM
Banned
And I think he already knows we don't really like what he's doing. Also all of that stuff he said.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Well

Well own oppinions
what do you mean
"And I think he already knows we don't really like what he's doing"

he is a really nice guy

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Banned
That post made little-to-no sense.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Dm

dusnt matter

I fell our with ryuuoutan :D :( :(

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Anyways...
The red crystal is for mind control and also grants some psychic and telekenetic powers.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Get the pun?

wedge of cheese said:
And what the fuck is the Red Crystal!? I've never been satisfied with The Doctor's explanation that it was just highly concentrated Red Flower juice that works on humans as well as mimigas, because Red Flowers make you lose yourself and go crazy, and the Red Crystal clearly did not have that effect on The Doctor (at least not until you beat his first form).
I like to stick to the "Demon Crown + Red Crystal = Massive Power" idea. The Demon Crown probably gave him much more control over the Red Crystal, preventing him from going all ape on Quote, at least for a bit.
There's also the thing where we're not really sure what exactly the Red Flowers really do. Sure, they make you pissed as Sacred Grounds, but you also tend to grow in size, sometimes maybe even four times your original, you gain super strength, and sometimes even quirky powers {Toroko creating those Yellow Clubs}.
The Red Flowers might do more than we think, and with the Red Crystal being super concentrated Red Flowers, and aided by the Demon Crown, there's no predicting what the Doctor could do. {The unknown variables just stack up}
But that's just my thought.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM
Been here way too long...
The source of magic in Cave Story is entirely up to our imagination, so I'm going to say only immortal beings can use it, unless you happen to be using something created by an immortal being. Who knows what they draw on, maybe the souls of orphans.

Lightning costs the most MP, Magic Missile costs the least.

+5 Agility

Balrog's attack does change a bit, he no longer shoots glowy balls, instead he shoots weird red things. The frogs coming down from the ceiling were just shaken loose (video game logic).

Perhaps Misery uses propulsion to float, but at some points she's closer to a wall than the floor so that theory of yours doesn't hold much water, andwhy. I'm going to say that she can move however she wants, but never needed to go forward (and Pixel was too lazy to program her doing that).

The Doctor can only teleport to places he's been before. Same with Misery, but you'll notice that in the Shack scene she just flies through the roof. Obviously she can't become intangible, so maybe she... I have no idea, actually.

The Red Crystal's powers were drastically underestimated by the Doctor. I don't know why we assume that just because he said what he thought it did, that he's right. It has the power to possess souls, deflect bullets and summon circuses for all I know. The whole "I'MMA TAKE OVER YOU MISERY AND SUE" thing probably had something to do with the Demon Crown as well, even though its physical form was dead...

HEYWAIT are we sure it's the Doctor's disembodied voice at the final battle? It could have been the Demon Crown talking/possessing.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Captain Fabulous said:
HEYWAIT are we sure it's the Doctor's disembodied voice at the final battle? It could have been the Demon Crown talking/possessing.
Code:
<MS3<FAC0026You...<NOD<CLO
<MS2
.....<NOD<CLRWhat's wrong, Misery?<NOD
Does my form frighten you?<NOD<CLO
<MS3<FAC0026Grr!<NOD<CLRAre you not dead?<NOD
Begone!!<NOD<CLO<FAC0000
<ANP0400:0040:0002<WAI0100
<MS2Tut-tut-tut...<NOD<CLRA fool who would forget
her own master does not
deserve free will.<NOD<CLRMisery.<NOD
You will be my puppet
until the day you die.<NOD<CLO
I don't think he was possessed. Unless the Demon Crown was secretly an awesome actor. But it's an inanimate object, so....
Let's try to keep it at least a little serious. :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM
It's possible the Demon Crown was made from a person, whose soul has just been released. Or something. "Her own master" could apply to Date, the Crown or even Ballos (it's not Ballos talking, though).
Anyway, off topic. We have another thread for such things.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:13 AM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
Ballos made the crown... But I believe the Drolls have something to do with it.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM
Please explain this theory of yours in greater detail.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JetHawk95 said:
That is confusing...
Why didnt the doctor just teleport to the sandzone storehouse? Maybe pixel did not think of that, well i will admit when i played the game i completely forgot he could teleport when balrog was looking for the key. So well done for pointing that out.
Though the storehouse would be under Jenka's protection. Maybe you can teleport out, but not in?

wedge of cheese said:
Which brings me to my next question: what are the differences between "wizard powers" (like Misery's and Ballos's and Jenka's) and powers given by the Demon Crown?
Ballos is insanely powerful magic-wise, Jenka is less powerful but more efficient in her use of magic, Misery is nowhere near the level of Ballos and Jenka.

The powers of the demon crown are sourced from Ballos.

wedge of cheese said:
Due to the common source of both the demon crown's and red flower's powers (Ballos) it shouldn't be hard to believe that the Doctor had some level of immunity.

Fire1052 said:
And I think he already knows we don't really like what he's doing.
Pretty much.

Captain Fabulous said:
The source of magic in Cave Story is entirely up to our imagination, so I'm going to say only immortal beings can use it, unless you happen to be using something created by an immortal being.
Actually I don't think that Misery is immortal, Ballos is kept alive against his will but died in the end, and Jenka's life was artificially extended and is nearing its end.

Captain Fabulous said:
Perhaps Misery uses propulsion to float, but at some points she's closer to a wall than the floor so that theory of yours doesn't hold much water, andwhy. I'm going to say that she can move however she wants, but never needed to go forward (and Pixel was too lazy to program her doing that).
Actually the further you move away from a wall the more energy required to continue pushing away from the wall. Try to stay in one place with the MG, now try to climb as high as you can, note the difference in consumed ammo. It costs less to float in place then it does to move. You also require propulsion from two directions instead of one, unless you want to hit the ground as you push away from the wall.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:58 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I like the idea of you can only teleport to where you've been before; that seems to make a lot of sense.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Hi

I Like that concept too,
I like the concept of jenka was using ehr magic to protect the storehouse (Not leeting anyone enter). So the doctor ordered ballrog to get the key, Seems like good sense