Ballos' splintered soul

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, everybody know that Ballos is "Hate and Madness given flesh", right? Well, I think that perhaps when Ballos unleashed his magic, his soul was fractured, and all the good parts of his soul broke off, and the bad parts (such as hate, madness, rage, greed, etc) formed into the cataclysmic entity of Ballos the Defiled

However, all the good parts of his soul that fragmented were captured by Jenka, and given physical form as...

Puppies!
Consider:

Hajime
Jenka's pet and leader of the dogs. While searching for his brothers, he got lost and was taken in by Curly.
Hajime formed from Ballos' Compassion

Nene
Jenka's pet. Spends most of her time asleep, but her dreams have been known to portend the future.
Formed from his foresight (ability to see the consequences of one's actions)

Mick
Jenka's pet. Loves treasure-hunting. Or treasure *chests*, rather, and recently has taken up sleeping in them.
Formed from Ballos' curiosity and wonder.

Shinobu
Jenka's pet. Loves dark places. Due to poor eyesight, he roams the darkness using his wild instincts alone.
Formed of his sense of Courage and Adventure

Kakeru
Jenka's pet. Adores bones and has buried them in countless places, most of which are by now forgotten.
Kakeru is the embodiment of joy in worldly things.

And, what is that mysterious ghost dog? Maybe its' Ballos' sanity. Or maybe it's something else.

Things you can discuss:
How did Jenka capture Ballos' soul?
Noxid got it wrong, I think puppy X is trait Y
Do the puppies know they are Ballos?
Could Ballos, under sufficient heat and pressure, be made whole again?
Who could generate enough heat and pressure to do that?
If you ate the puppies, would it make you feel good?

And of course, any other notions that this idea causes to surface. Like, are there other undiscovered fragments, possibly parts of his evil side? Could these be used to create artefacts of malevolent power if they existed? has such a thing already been done? is that a topic for a different thread?

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well, for one, we all want to have control over ourselves and not be subject to others, So the Demon Crown is his freedom/control over himself (you know the ability to choose and affect what goes on).

And I really ain't gonna touch those last ones.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:25 AM
Been here way too long...
This is an amazing theory and while not entirely original, a good deal more thoughtful than most of the story and characters Pixel used. This is how I will think of the puppies from now on, thank you.
So that means when Quote killed Ballos, only his hate and madness were sent to Hell, or the Earth's outer core, or somewhere else hot and painful. Ballos's good soul fragments are still alive and making puppies. Disturbing?
I think it's great how Jenka's been living with the best parts of her brother all along, although it might have been helpful for her to return Ballos's soul to him, and perhaps that would solve the hate and madness issue.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
He posted in the right thread, this is discussion about what happened to Ballos's soul right?

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Well, for one, we all want to have control over ourselves and not be subject to others, So the Demon Crown is his freedom/control over himself (you know the ability to choose and affect what goes on).

Yes, this is definitely posted in the right place. I believe Cyowolf is referring to my suggestion that part of ballos' soul might have been used/consumed in the crafting of the Demon crown. And, this actually makes alot of sense to me. I mean, the main Power of the Crown is that it gives the user control over others, right?

Connection? Crown = self control or free will?

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:34 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yep, that was what I was aiming for.

Personally I think Misery wanted control over Ballos, hence the creation of the Demon Crown. Of course, the plan backfired and wound up controlling her and Balrog, who is either some random idiot that pissed Misery off, a robot, or something that she summoned.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Noxid said:
Who could generate enough heat and pressure to do that?
Heavy Press.

Also, I find it disturbing that, in the end credits, the dogs have puppies. Would those also be fragments of Ballos' soul? Do the dogs pass their fragments on to their offspring? Or are these new ones just dogs?

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
That kind of stuff isn't genetic.
They'd just be cute little puppies.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You won the game (that I just lost)

Wow, I really like this theory!! I've always sort of thought in the back of my mind that the puppies should mean something more than what they appear as. And I agree with Fabulous; this is how I'm gonna think of the puppies from now on :rolleyes:!

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
If Jenka made the Core, then she could have put him into that, like, his blue side maybe?

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM
Lace said:
Hmm, actually a pretty good theory for jenka's dogs, if you twist it a bit.
whyme said:
I think I smell a new Cave Story Theory thread on the way...
^^

I'd be so happy normally!
I don't really have much to add though, sorry.
good thread though.
=D

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:46 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hmmm...

I think the core would be his loyalty or determination, it would explain his inability to destroy it and bring the island down.

Puppies? I just thought they were cute. Nothing to add on them, though.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM
I really doubt that the Core is made from Ballos's soul, because then he might be able to exert some control over it and bring the island down anyway. It seems like a much more sensible plan to make the Core from something completely different. Plus Ballos's soul is much too strong to be possessed by the Red Crystal DISREGARD THAT I WEAR SOCKS the Core was extremely weak and might have had its soul destroyed already.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Eh, Ballos is insane and quite possibly has no control over the fragments, mostly due to the insane magic he unleashed. So, to him, its KILL! KILL! KILL!

What, you expect him to have control over something? Hell, he doesn't even have control over himself!

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Magic!

Cyowolf1122 said:
What, you expect him to have control over something? Hell, he doesn't even have control over himself!
It's not that he doesn't have control over himself, but that he doesn't have control over his magic.
His magic is the reason he can't die, and why he needed Quote to kill him.
I don't doubt that he's a bit insane, but his magic is the main reason for how he acts.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:08 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well, I still doubt his ability to control other things. The demon crown does that and Ballos never has it.

Plus, remember when he laughed as his family died by his magic? I really don't think he has any self-control or any other kind of control at all.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:14 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmmm

Cyowolf1122 said:
Well, I still doubt his ability to control other things. The demon crown does that and Ballos never has it.
It could be proximity, the Demon Crown wouldn't have much distance to cover, but Ballos is buried deep in the Island.
The Demon Crown is also a sort of extension of himself....
Cyowolf1122 said:
Plus, remember when he laughed as his family died by his magic? I really don't think he has any self-control or any other kind of control at all.
He kinda gave up his self-control to his magic when he had to unleash it to free himself from his torment.
The raw power of it and the destruction of his loved ones probably made him a bit crazy, but his magic gained control over him after that moment.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:

If it's going to happen anyway, why not enjoy it?

Bwahahahah!

Also, I thought Jenka didn't make the core...

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Uh huh

Noxid said:
Also, I thought Jenka didn't make the core...
She did, I'll have to look up the exact quote some other time...
But she needed a way to counter Ballos' negative energy and stop the Island from crashing into the Surface, which is where the Core comes in.
Remember the Gaudi's telling you how Jenka told them to defend the secret of the Labyrinth?

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:20 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
He kinda gave up his self-control to his magic when he had to unleash it to free himself from his torment.
The raw power of it and the destruction of his loved ones probably made him a bit crazy, but his magic gained control over him after that moment.

That happened while the king was torturing him, he went insane from the torture.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
It could be proximity, the Demon Crown wouldn't have much distance to cover, but Ballos is buried deep in the Island.
The Demon Crown is also a sort of extension of himself....

It is a fragment of his soul, which he lost when he went insane. If you suddenly gained power, would you not use it to control others as a means to increase your own? The Crown by itself is useless, it doesn't do anything until someone wears it. Ballos most certainly couldn't use, mostly due to the fact he has a huge head.