Why's Booster visiting Jenka at breakdown?

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think the title covers what I want to discuss. During the ending scenes, you can see Jenka with some new-born puppies (at least looking younger than the five you collect for her in the Sand Zone), and Booster enters. Then the screen fades.

So...
Why doesn't Booster escape with the others? Had he planned to visit Jenka in secret? How much time passed between the breakdown and this scene (since those new puppies look at least a few weeks old)?

I'm clueless myself so I don't have a theory thus far. Might come up with one in a few hours though.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Nope, normal ending also, at least if you can go to Sacred Grounds but don't (got a save there, you know). Anyway, it's unlikely for the puppies to have puppies in the short time that it takes the Island to fall down, so I guess that either the Island's inhabitants survived the fall, or the scene doesn't count.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Hmm... I've noticed that this isn't in Cave Story Theories but in the main board...

Nope, normal ending also, at least if you can go to Sacred Grounds but don't (got a save there, you know).
Ah. I tought that scene occured when the Core was destroyed and you could see the screen scroll trough a few areas with breakdown.org playing, before you return to the Dark Area and Sue urges you to escape.

Still, it doesn't answer my question(s)...
Why doesn't Booster escape with the others? Had he planned to visit Jenka in secret? How much time passed between the breakdown and this scene (since those new puppies look at least a few weeks old)?

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM
This Troper
Sorry, I was answering the question in the thread title.

Yal said:
Why doesn't Booster escape with the others?
I guess that's because he's hiding in Arthur's house and unwilling to travel around the Island because of the recent events (being dumped down a deep pit crushes a man's soul easily, you know), therefore he has no contact to Momorin and Itoh, or Kazuma, for that matter.

Yal said:
Had he planned to visit Jenka in secret?
Yes.

Yal said:
How much time passed between the breakdown and this scene (since those new puppies look at least a few weeks old)?
Surely more time than it takes a big-ass island to fall down from the sky.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, why would you do this on a forum that doesn't have a single WoW thread? I'd like to see some statistics, actually: does spamming a forum with retarded advertisements actually get anyone to buy your stuff?
Sorry, it's just getting to me. This forum is getting spammed like this a lot lately. This thread is over; I should let it die.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Maybe he had some special plans with Jenka, and their, secret romantic relationship.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
bibopie said:
Maybe he had some special plans with Jenka, and their, secret romantic relationship.

>.o
That put an image of two elephant skin rugs doing the nasty into my brain.
Thanks.

Or maybe...
It's symbolism for Pixel (as Booster) and his girlfriend/wife (as Jenka).

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Growing old together? Aw, how sweet and totally not R34-able.
Oh god my brain.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Extreme bump!

Reason: Perhaps this is due to the iffy translation, but the game says all of Jenka's puppies are hes. where do they come from??

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM
thecrown said:
all of Jenka's puppies are his.
Fixed, I hope.
Where does the game say this?
If this is true, that means Booster was visiting Jenka before Quote woke up, which sounds almost impossible, and that he brought five puppies with him on a helicopter, which definitely didn't happen.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:42 PM
"Keep on rollin'!"
"He"s, all the puppies are male! Isn't that kind of screwy?

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oh, you're absolutely right. Sorry.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@original question :
Hmmm.. well perhaps this is where Cave Story 2 would pickup?

Sometime after Cave Story, Booster continues his work on the island [for whatever reason he originally came to the island for] And now Booster happens upon Jenka... [cutscene from part 2 (to be continued...)]

Alternatively, Booster already knows Jenka and is visiting her soon after the end of the game. What about the puppies? Well, if they are real magical puppies; then even if Balrog SQUISHED them, they could come back re-grow/pull a phoenix as long as Jenka is alive.

Or at least those make sense to me...

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM
This Troper
X-Calibar said:
@original question :
Hmmm.. well perhaps this is where Cave Story 2 would pickup?

Sometime after Cave Story, Booster continues his work on the island [for whatever reason he originally came to the island for] And now Booster happens upon Jenka... [cutscene from part 2 (to be continued...)]
Of course, that's assuming that there will ever be a Cave Story 2. IMO, Pixel just wanted to include Booster in the credits scenes somehow and this was the best idea he had.

X-Calibar said:
Alternatively, Booster already knows Jenka and is visiting her soon after the end of the game. What about the puppies? Well, if they are real magical puppies; then even if Balrog SQUISHED them, they could come back re-grow/pull a phoenix as long as Jenka is alive.

Or at least those make sense to me...
As long as the witch lives, you cannot die!

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think Pixel wanted to show that Jenka and Booster lived together from that point. Many old people marry just to have somebody to live with and talk to.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Of course that would mean Jenka and Booster knew each other... Unless Booster is just coocoo looking a wife on the island... and eventually found Jenka's house...

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Cliche'

Pixel wanted a generic Disney-type ending for them.
Simple ;)

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM
Indie game enthusiast
:D lol yeah I was disappointed by the anti-climatic non-dramatic fly away to a tropical island ending.... [what about the koron! what about everyone on the island? are they okay? Nah let's fly away! ;) ]

lol which is why I really want to find a way to make that best ending seem more appropriate by getting some backstory right in my prequel...

Cave Story needs a movie :o Or at least an anime opening :p :p