Cave Story Timeline

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We're constantly talking about the background and events of Cave Story, putting all the hints together, and sometimes (usually) making up our own stories and theories. But we've never (as far as I know) compiled a complete timeline of all the events that we know for sure happened. Most people, myself included, have a good idea of the story behind the events of the game, but I have problems getting it all straight. So we should make a timeline, like most big video game fan sites have. This would also be helpful to anyone making prequel mods, fanfics or whatever, so that they don't have conflicting information. I'm unsure how to document the timeline, since the above examples are not on forums. Perhaps I (or someone with more time on their hands) will put it somewhere else, and this will only be for discussion of it.
TL;DR We need a comprehensive timeline.

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Good idea. Here's a rough draft of the timeline. If you spot any problem with it, please let me know.

Once Upon A Time
- Ballos is thrown into prison by the jealous king and tortured.
- Ballos snaps and destroys the kingdom.
- Jenka seals Ballos on the Island.
- Misery has Ballos create the Demon Crown, is subsequently cursed by it.

- Reigns of the two first Demon Kings.

Ten Years BCS
- Robot armies from the Surface attack the Island in order to get their hands on the Demon Crown. They kill countless Mimigas and humans in the process.
*- Miakid finds the Demon Crown and starts a reign of terror. Curly and Quote fight him. He is later defeated (we don't know by whom).
*- Mimigas eat the Red Flowers, defeat the robots and presumably descend upon the Surface.

Present Time
- The research team, consisting of prof. Booster, the Sakamotos, Itoh and Dr. Fuyuhiko Date, arrives at the Island.
- The Doctor finds the Crown and uses its powers to capture the team.
- Sue and Itoh are turned into Mimigas by Misery and subsequently escape. Booster and Kazuma are thrown into prison. Momorin plays it safe by siding with the Doctor. Kazuma escapes, presumably by the teleporter in the Prison #2 room.
- Balrog and Misery go into the Mimiga Village, kill Arthur and kidnap countless villagers. Sometime between this, Sue turns up at the Village.
- Quote wakes up...

* These two "events" might've occured in in either succession

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Actually, Momorin wasn't thrown in prison. She was just thrown off the island.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Correction: The frenzied Mimigas were "rumoured" to have decended upon the surface.

Fire1052 said:
Actually, Momorin wasn't thrown in prison. She was just thrown off the island.
She was thrown off the island AFTER the flower seeds were found in the Sand Zone and worked for the Doctor until then in an act of self-preservation.

Momorin: I used to take my chances working at the Doctor's side.
Momorin: But once he found the seeds, he had no more use for me.
Momorin: So he had me tossed off the edge of the island.
Momorin: Chivalry is dead, let me tell you.

Though I would like to know if the original japanese text said that she was ordered to be thrown off of the island, or if it says that she was actually thrown off of the island.

スーが言ってた救世主ね。
良かった…
私は坂本。
スーの母親よ。
ドクターの傍でチャンスを
うかがってたんだけどね。
花の種が見つかったとたん
私は用なし。
島から突き落とされたの。
女を大事にできない男は
ダメね。
まあ、それは置いといて。

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:04 AM
Good start, Jack. I can't see anything missing at the moment, but instead of saying "ten years ago" we'll measure time in Cave Story with BCS, Before Cave Story. ACS will only ever need to be used for mods.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
How could Momorin survive being thrown off the island?
How could she get back on the island?
WHY would she get back on the island?

I'm pretty sure that everyone just escaped.

Kazuma and Booster went to the teleporter in the prison.
I'm not sure about Sue but maybe it involved the waterway cause Kanpachi says that she was found near the resovoir.
Itoh ran away to that room near the outer wall.
Momorin escaped to that little hideout in the plantation.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:30 AM
We're not going into detail about how everything happened (just yet). It's not important how Moromin managed to stop herself from falling off the island, or where everyone went to. Also, we should focus on the BCS events, since the plot of Cave Story itself is fairly obvious to anyone who's played.
I wonder if we can get SkyWelse to put the timeline on the tribute site after we've worked it all out?

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:30 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
We're not going into detail about how everything happened (just yet). It's not important how Moromin managed to stop herself from falling off the island, or where everyone went to. Also, we should focus on the BCS events, since the plot of Cave Story itself is fairly obvious to anyone who's played.
So it should say:
-Sue and Itoh are turned into Mimigas by Misery and subsequently escape. Booster and Kazuma are thrown into prison. Momorin plays it safe by siding with the Doctor. Kazuma escapes, presumably by the teleporter in the Prison #2 room.

Captain Fabulous said:
I wonder if we can get SkyWelse to put the timeline on the tribute site after we've worked it all out?
You could always just ask me.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM
This Troper
Made some corrections to the timeline. Also, I'd like to find out the exact sequence of events at 10 BCS.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM
I think you should flip the order of the last two 10 BCS events, since a reign of terror would pretty lame if you only have broken robots and a few wounded Mimigas as subjects.
I also get the impression that Curly and Quote were sent at the same time as the rest of the robots, but for a different purpose. It would make sense that Miakid was using the Crown at the time, because then the creators of Curly and Quote would be attempting to stop his reign of terror.

andwhyisit said:
You could always just ask me.

Would you do it, andwhyisit? Please?

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM
This Troper
Captain Fabulous said:
I think you should flip the order of the last two 10 BCS events, since a reign of terror would pretty lame if you only have broken robots and a few wounded Mimigas as subjects.
Done. Though I left the *note in.

Captain Fabulous said:
I also get the impression that Curly and Quote were sent at the same time as the rest of the robots, but for a different purpose. It would make sense that Miakid was using the Crown at the time, because then the creators of Curly and Quote would be attempting to stop his reign of terror.
I think that Curly and Quote arrived with a later batch of robots, since IIRC when you give Curly the 'shroom, she says that the Island was already in bad shape or something. Aso, I'm not entirely sure that C&Q were sent in because of Miakid. Remember, governments of the Surface's nations were already aware of the Crown's existence, hence why they launched their robots onto the Island. Maybe some small, independent team saw the bloodshed that occurred because of the Crown and decided to destroy it. And since the only way to get to the Crown was to be a robot, they built one. I mean two.

Captain Fabulous said:
Would you do it, andwhyisit? Please?
I think it would be better to wait until we have the timeline complete and correct.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM
T-Jack said:
I think it would be better to wait until we have the timeline complete and correct.

I meant when it's done. Right now our timeline is just a text skeleton.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
No Cave Story "Present/in-game" events in timeline?

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM
We'll add those to the timeline, but it's not important to discuss them right now, because everyone knows them.
This timeline is actually shaping up to be smaller than I expected. I forgot that most of the BCS events I know of are actually just theories or fan fiction. You know you spend too much time here when...

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
We can't really put those theories in without getting of

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Alright, so to simplify things further I prose we refer to the war in 10 BCS as the Crown War. Doesn't look like that will come in handy much, though, since the timeline's just about complete.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Alright, so to simplify things further I prose we refer to the war in 10 BCS as the Crown War. Doesn't look like that will come in handy much, though, since the timeline's just about complete.
I always called it the "Red Flower War". *shrug*

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Alright, I've confirmed the order of those two 10 BCS events. In the Plantation, Curly says:
With the crown in hand,
the man turned the
Mimigas into killers<NOD
and began his assault
on the Earth.
This is after the robots had attacked the island. So Date is just copying Miakid's plan: feeding the red flowers to the Mimigas. It was his plan, not the Mimigas'.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
This is after the robots had attacked the island. So Date is just copying Miakid's plan: feeding the red flowers to the Mimigas. It was his plan, not the Mimigas'.
Miakid's experiments with red flowers and the fight against the robot soldiers using red flowers were two completely separate events. Re-read both Jenka's (dog catching) and Curly's (plantation, after regaining her memories) stories about that period. If anything Miakid would have taken the idea from the Mimiga vs Robot Soldier battle, and, as you said, Date would have stolen the idea from Miakid.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM
I did read Jenka's story. She said the Mimigas ingested the flowers, how do you know that wasn't when they descended to the surface?