Beta Quote Sprite Edit

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I looked all over this forum for a sprite edit that did this, but I wasn't able to find one.

So I decided to do it myself. Of course I tried to edit the .pbm in MSPaint first, like an idiot. After a bit of bashing my head against a wall, I found out Cave Editor could do what I was looking for. A few quick pallete swaps, and viola! All of my hard work that simply didn't work, done in seconds. Boy, was I mad.

p71086-0-quoteeditexamplepng.png
Sprite sheet example!

Here's the actual link to download it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LCTBCQPO

p105597-1-sc020407.gif
The inspiring image! (Might make a black rocket launcher, now, too.)

p71086-2-cavestory.png

Finally, in action. With a Curly on our hero's back.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but back up your original MyChar.pbm before you do this.

Oh yeah, and don't get on me about the in-game screenshot. <_< I totally got it all legitimately. Totally. *horrible, horrible lie*

Edit: Whoa, whoops. I thought I posted this in Hacking/Modding. My bad. :/ Also, if someone already did this, then I clearly didn't look hard enough.

Feel free to use the sprite set for whatever purpose. I'd be extremely happy to see it in a mod, and quite happy if people just used it in regular Cave Story. I was thinking of getting into actual modding and using this for the player character, though~

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pretty good job. I commend your efforts. =D

But yeah, this should be in the Hacking forum or something, since it's not a mod all it's own. Then again, I've been seeing people complain that the hacking forum has been being used for things completely unrelated to hacking, like this. And to that I say "Make an advanced hacking forum and a basic one for the graphical edits and crap".

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:08 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmmm?

Huh....why does this Quote look so familiar...
*Thinks back to GIR's mod..*
Wonder if GIR got his idea from the same Beta sprite....
Well, it'd make sense, story-line-ish :D

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
oridecondreams said:
I looked all over this forum for a sprite edit that did this, but I wasn't able to find one.

So I decided to do it myself. Of course I tried to edit the .pbm in MSPaint first, like an idiot. After a bit of bashing my head against a wall, I found out Cave Editor could do what I was looking for. A few quick pallete swaps, and viola! All of my hard work that simply didn't work, done in seconds. Boy, was I mad.

p71086-0-quoteeditexamplepng.png
Sprite sheet example!

Here's the actual link to download it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LCTBCQPO

p105597-1-sc020407.gif
The inspiring image! (Might make a black rocket launcher, now, too.)

p71086-2-cavestory.png

Finally, in action. With a Curly on our hero's back.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but back up your original MyChar.pbm before you do this.

Oh yeah, and don't get on me about the in-game screenshot. <_< I totally got it all legitimately. Totally. *horrible, horrible lie*

Edit: Whoa, whoops. I thought I posted this in Hacking/Modding. My bad. :/ Also, if someone already did this, then I clearly didn't look hard enough.

Feel free to use the sprite set for whatever purpose. I'd be extremely happy to see it in a mod, and quite happy if people just used it in regular Cave Story. I was thinking of getting into actual modding and using this for the player character, though~

This is pretty cool but if you look at some of the other cave story beta sprites, quote seems to come in all sorts of different colour schemes when you look at some different screen shots.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
oridecondreams said:
How about opening the sticky labeled "Editing PBMs"? That is the main reason as to why it is there.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
How about opening the sticky labeled "Editing PBMs"? That is the main reason as to why it is there.

Mostly because I started this before even knowing that this forum even existed. :X I facepalmed pretty hard when I got here and read it, I have to admit.

And, yeah, there's a green Quote and a darker red Quote, too! I just thought the dark blue + red eyed one looked the coolest out of the whole lot. He had a certain personality to him as I perceived it.

Also, this: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/info_9_12.php

I really should have linked that in the first post.

I'm gonna have to check our GIR's mod now.