Quote built on the Island??

May 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Okay, this is what happened: 10 years ago, the Island was invaded by armies of robots, who sought after the great, powerful Demon Crown. A terrible bloodshed took place, during which countless Mimigas and humans (said by Jenka) perished. An extraordinary individual, let's call him Bob, who might've been either a human or a Mimiga, collected remains of the enemy killer robots, reverse engineered them and built two of his own robots, presumably because he didn't have enough resources to build more. This might have happened after the Mimigas defeated the robots and descended to the Surface, but before Miakid collected the Crown, as we don't know in which order did these two events happen. Bob then sent Team Robot to destroy the Crown, because he wanted to protect the Island from future tragedies.
Now, Quote being recognized as a Surface robot is because of him being a surface robot, in a sense that his design is quite similar, if not identical, to true Surface robots. That's because Bob reverse engineered Surface robot for his design and used parts of Surface robots to build his own. That also explains why Curly remembers arriving at the Island, because that memory comes from the time that her memory bank was still inside a killer robot, and that was about the only memory that remained there. She just mixed it in her summary of her and Quote's first mission.
Oh, and the Start point being the place Quote was built at? It was the safest place during the war. That also explains why does Quote wake up there. After completing his mission, Bob found Quote and dragged him back to the Start Point to repair him. Bob repaired Quote, then erased his memory as a part of the starting sequence, but, unfortunately, wasn't able to finish it, probably because of a wound from the War. Maybe he also repaired and started Curly, in the Sand Zone, so that she wouldn't be in the way when Bob was working.
There are also other questions that pop up here, like "did the Hermit Gunsmith help Bob with constructing Quote?", or "does the Waterway Cabin have anything to do with Bob?", that I'm unable to answer, but, thankfully, they're not central to the theory's core, so... yeah.

May 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Man, this theory's just...wrong...
It goes against a lot of other things believe in about Cave Story D=

Besides, what motives would "Bob" have for building Curly and Quote?
Why didn't he just leave the Island? Why was he there in the first place?

Also, if he also built Curly, why was she in the Sand Zone, then?
And this "Bob" must be a genius or something, reverse engineering Curly in less than 2 years after the Robots came...
{Because it'd take awhile for him to find enough destroyed Robots to make her...}

Again, this theory just feels wrong to me....
{Not as in, not correct, but as in weird and very out of place...}

I'll fight it to the end >.<"!

May 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM
This Troper
Good. A theory needs to be fought, after all. But let's begin:

Maybe "Bob" loved Island (as in "Home Sweet Home"). Or he was wanted on the Surface. There are a lot of reasons for him not to want to leave the Island. And probably he thought that it's best to fight fire with fire. And fight robots with other deadly killer robots.

I already proposed an explanation for why she was in the Sand Zone, it's right at the end of the first post. And I also described Bob as an exceptional individual, as in genius. And he also had many robot corpses to study.

And the theory is constructed as to not go against anything in Cave Story.

May 28, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Been here way too long...
There is absolutely no proof whether this theory is plausible or not. It would be entirely speculation, since nothing in the game could ever support one side and disprove the other. Talk all you want, but it's impossible to use evidence from the game.

May 28, 2009 at 12:18 AM
This Troper
Duh. That's why it's called a theory.

May 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
T-Jack said:
Good. A theory needs to be fought, after all. But let's begin:

Maybe "Bob" loved Island (as in "Home Sweet Home"). Or he was wanted on the Surface. There are a lot of reasons for him not to want to leave the Island. And probably he thought that it's best to fight fire with fire. And fight robots with other deadly killer robots.

I already proposed an explanation for why she was in the Sand Zone, it's right at the end of the first post. And I also described Bob as an exceptional individual, as in genius. And he also had many robot corpses to study.

And the theory is constructed as to not go against anything in Cave Story.
But, it does go against Cave Story!!
You're basically describing Curly and Quote as robotic Frankensteins!!!

>.<"!

Anyways, if he's so smart, and made Curly in less than 2 years, why did it take 8 more years for Quote to get into the action?

And, their minds seem too advance for "Bob" to simply construct two fully working minds from damaged ones...
And, if he had used a full working one, it would have just been the same robot in a new body....

Unless "Bob"'s got like 3 times the IQ of the smartest dood in Cave Story's world {That'd be a lot more than exceptional...}, or something, I don't see him constructing the minds for Curly and Quote....
>.>;

And, wrong Captain, that's exactly we're I'm getting evidence from.
You're really a killer when it comes to theories. And, as in, you just kill it for being a theory =P
I'm trying to disprove it...

May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM
Been here way too long...
I'm a theory serial killer. As a young boy I would capture theories in my backyard and slowly dissect them alive. I also had an abusive childhood, so I'd taking it out on theories. I rape theories after I kill them. I'M A THEORY SERIAL KILLER.

May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
But, it does go against Cave Story!!
You're basically describing Curly and Quote as robotic Frankensteins!!!

>.<"!
Um... how does that go against CS in the first place?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Anyways, if he's so smart, and made Curly in less than 2 years, why did it take 8 more years for Quote to get into the action?
I get the feeling that you didn't really read the theory. Both Quote and Curly were already in action during or shortly after the War. They just got damaged and repaired after their first mission ended.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
And, their minds seem too advance for "Bob" to simply construct two fully working minds from damaged ones...
And, if he had used a full working one, it would have just been the same robot in a new body....
Unless "Bob"'s got like 3 times the IQ of the smartest dood in Cave Story's world
{That'd be a lot more than exceptional...}, or something, I don't see him constructing the minds for Curly and Quote....
>.>;
A robot's "mind" consists of several hardware parts: A processor, a memory bank, and probably several others. He probably used an undamaged processor and used the memory banks to "create" their personalities. Or something like that, I never really understood robotics.

May 28, 2009 at 12:35 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
T-Jack, their mission never did end. If you noticed what the robot was saying before the Core fight, it was still active and they had been WIPED OUT. All of the robots had been. There was no resolution to be had, one way or the other.

The mission goes on.

May 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Da da bum

T-Jack said:
Um... how does that go against CS in the first place?
....I guess you don't get it....
>.>;

T-Jack said:
I get the feeling that you didn't really read the theory. Both Quote and Curly were already in action during or shortly after the War. They just got damaged and repaired after their first mission ended.
I read it, but I'm not sure if I follow it all...
So both Quote and Curly were built as soon as the war started?
Then how did Quote get in the Start Point, 8 years or so after being created?
And why more amnesia? Shouldn't he remember Miakid?
I'm not understand some of this, now O.o;

T-Jack said:
A robot's "mind" consists of several hardware parts: A processor, a memory bank, and probably several others. He probably used an undamaged processor and used the memory banks to "create" their personalities. Or something like that, I never really understood robotics.
Just like Curly and Quote's power supply, we don't really know what's going on with their minds.
But, obviously, it's
a great deal more advance freakin' godlike compared to anything we've got in our world, so I really doubt he could have done such a job as making their minds from scraps of the other robots...
And in as little as 2 years...

May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM
This Troper
Fire1052 said:
T-Jack, their mission never did end. If you noticed what the robot was saying before the Core fight, it was still active and they had been WIPED OUT. All of the robots had been. There was no resolution to be had, one way or the other.

The mission goes on.
I meant after they, or somebody else, stopped Miakid, obviously.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
....I guess you don't get it....
>.>;
Eh, I guess I don't...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I read it, but I'm not sure if I follow it all...
So both Quote and Curly were built as soon as the war started?
Well, not as soon as it started, but just in time to stop Miakid, I guess.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Then how did Quote get in the Start Point, 8 years or so after being created?
And why more amnesia? Shouldn't he remember Miakid?
I'm not understand some of this, now O.o;
I'll just retell it: After defeating Miakid, Bob found Quote, badly damaged, and dragged him back to Start Point to repair him. Bob just replaced some lost limbs, burnt artificial skin and destroyed memory banks. Then, Bob died before he could boot Quote up.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Just like Curly and Quote's power supply, we don't really know what's going on with their minds.
But, obviously, it's
a great deal more advance freakin' godlike compared to anything we've got in our world, so I really doubt he could have done such a job as making their minds from scraps of the other robots...
And in as little as 2 years...
Well, all I'm assuming is that there was at least one freaking genius on the island prior to the War.

May 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM
Banned
T-Jack said:
I'll just retell it: After defeating Miakid, Bob found Quote, badly damaged, and dragged him back to Start Point to repair him. Bob just replaced some lost limbs, burnt artificial skin and destroyed memory banks. Then, Bob died before he could boot Quote up.

Well, all I'm assuming is that there was at least one freaking genius on the island prior to the War.

Then how come if QUOTE uses the Ma Pignon he remembers himself, and how could Quote be booted up automatically (And why did it take eight years?)?

If there was a genius on the island PRIOR to the war, it was a mimiga. It was just mimigas and gaudis before the war, with the exception of Jenka and company, which could not even be human.

May 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM
This Troper
Fire1052 said:
Then how come if QUOTE uses the Ma Pignon he remembers himself, and how could Quote be booted up automatically (And why did it take eight years?)?
When did Quote use Ma Pignon on himself? About him waking up, it's not even clear why he wakes up in the first place. Might've been that transmission...

Fire1052 said:
If there was a genius on the island PRIOR to the war, it was a mimiga. It was just mimigas and gaudis before the war, with the exception of Jenka and company, which could not even be human.
That's where you're wrong. Just talk to Jenka again and find the line "So did the humans who tried to protect them".

May 28, 2009 at 12:56 AM
Banned
T-Jack said:
When did Quote use Ma Pignon on himself? About him waking up, it's not even clear why he wakes up in the first place. Might've been that transmission...

That's where you're wrong. Just talk to Jenka again and find the line "So did the humans who tried to protect them".

The humans brought up for the war, yes.

May 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM
This Troper
Fire1052 said:
The humans brought up for the war, yes.
This belongs to another theory. What I'm working with here is the possibility that there might've been humans on the Island before the War.

May 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM
Banned
There are far too many things to assume in order to believe your theory, T-Jack.

May 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM
This Troper
Fire1052 said:
There are far too many things to assume in order to believe your theory, T-Jack.
Ah, I expected you to say that. Let's see: We need to assume that there was a genius living on the Island prior the War, who was able to construct two robots out of many destroyed robots in a relatively short time, and that all the mentions of Quote being from Surface aren't true. To many? Maybe. Too random? Hell no!

May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Banned
Not too random, too unfound. Is there any evidence within the game to support this?

May 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
This Troper
Is there any evidence to disprove it? I said, it's a theory, not a fact.

May 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Banned
Not having any evidence is actually evidence against it. If you can't prove it, we can just say "no."