Bubbler-only run: Curly and the Sand Zone.

May 22, 2009 at 4:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey guys, I am doing a bubbler-only run of Cave Story. I feel that I should give some advice to anyone attempting the same challenge.

Destroyable blocks:
The problem with Bubbler levels 1 and 2 is that they cannot shoot down destroyable blocks. Level 3 manages to act as a fix to this and can shoot down blocks. The important thing to know is that unless you want to void your run you must never save in the sand zone without the lvl.3 bubbler, because when you load your game you will find yourself walled in and be forced to use another weapon, which would be a swift end to your run.

Curly:
The fight against Curly is quite difficult with the level 3 bubbler. The level 3 bubbler doesn't last long though and the level 2 bubbler makes the fight so much easier. Unfortunately the outside of Curly's room is walled in by, you guessed it, destroyable blocks.

The only way you are getting anywhere after this fight is to finish it with the level 3 bubbler. The hard part is that you cannot receive weapon experience during the fight, that you would have to stay next to Curly when attacking her (thankfully contact with her doesn't cause damage) since her size makes hitting her hard from a distance, that you will lose the level 3 bubbler with only one hit from Curly, or only two hits from the Colon/Koron, that the Colon are as hard to hit from a distance as well, and that any close combat with the Colon is dangerous since they fall towards you and try to damage you after you have taken them out.

Any ideas?

Level 1 Bubbler:
It is in most cases a death sentence. The level 1 Bubbler could pretty much compete with the level 3 Nemmy for "weakest weapon".

May 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D

I wonder where this idea came from, =D

Anyways, the Bubbler has a low max exp threshold, too, which makes this all the more challenging.
For the fight with Curly, I'd probably try staying as far away from the Mimigas as possible, charging the Bubble-Barrier-Of-Doom {Or, BBOD for short} up to knock them aside, and let Curly have it when they're down....

I think the in-ability to kill blocks at level's 2 and 1 only adds to the challenge, though, >=D

And I think Bubbler Level 1 would have to be weaker than Nemesis 3, because of the simple fact that Nemesis can level down in one hit, while the Bubbler will need a massive amount of Exp, before even getting close to as useful as Nemmy 2

May 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Interesting idea, but I don't think it'd be that hard =x

May 22, 2009 at 4:29 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
O rly?

Chaddykins said:
Interesting idea, but I don't think it'd be that hard =x
Let's see you do it and get a decent Sacred Ground's time?
:D
I've tried the Bubbler for Sacred Grounds...
..The low Exp Threshold is a killer...

May 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I wonder where this idea came from, =D
Hmm.. I wonder. :D

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Anyways, the Bubbler has a low max exp threshold, too, which makes this all the more challenging.
I know. I swear this fight as it stands would be harder than the same battle as part of a 3hp minimal items run.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
For the fight with Curly, I'd probably try staying as far away from the Mimigas as possible, charging the Bubble-Barrier-Of-Doom {Or, BBOD for short} up to knock them aside, and let Curly have it when they're down....
Well hitting the Colon from a distance doesn't work very well because their small size guarantees that 70-80% of my bubbles are going to miss. Hitting them from close up with my bubble barrier guarantees that almost all of my bubbles will hit, but every Colon that you take out will throw themselves at you when they fall in an attempt to damage you, which is all too possible when you are that close.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
And I think Bubbler Level 1 would have to be weaker than Nemesis 3, because of the simple fact that Nemesis can level down in one hit, while the Bubbler will need a massive amount of Exp, before even getting close to as useful as Nemmy 2
It also has a shorter range, the bullets move slow, and they take too long to get off of the screen, which turns the on-screen bullet limit into a massive handicap.

May 22, 2009 at 8:17 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Let's see you do it and get a decent Sacred Ground's time?
:)
I've tried the Bubbler for Sacred Grounds...
..The low Exp Threshold is a killer...

It could work, especially since you don't need anything but Curly after the 2nd room.

Thinking about trying this now....would give me a reason to play Cave Story again.

May 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Forgot

Oh, but there's one advantage to the Level 1 Bubbler...
It's bubbles slow down to stop and stay in place, yesno?
Clever thinking can turn this into an advantage, >=D
{I've figured out some uses, anyways..}

May 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Oh, but there's one advantage to the Level 1 Bubbler...
It's bubbles slow down to stop and stay in place, yesno?
Clever thinking can turn this into an advantage, >=D
{I've figured out some uses, anyways..}

Yeah, it could used as a trap for enemies, but the problem is that you can only have for out at a time, meaning it won't be too efficient. I think one of the hardest parts you'll encounter is the Last Cave, sure in Hell your weapons are leveled down, but in Hell you could level it up in the first room.

May 23, 2009 at 12:08 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heh

rust45 said:
Yeah, it could used as a trap for enemies, but the problem is that you can only have for out at a time, meaning it won't be too efficient. I think one of the hardest parts you'll encounter is the Last Cave, sure in Hell your weapons are leveled down, but in Hell you could level it up in the first room.
But, in the Bloody Holy Land, you've got all those blocks to dodge after leveling it up.
Remember: Low Exp Threshold.
That'll leave you vulnerable if you manage to take enough damage to level down, and those Butes can get really freakin' annoying, but Curly's there to help. ^.^
I think the Red Demon will be a bit tough, unless you're nimble enough to dodge all of his attacks easily. :D

May 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
But, in the Bloody Holy Land, you've got all those blocks to dodge after leveling it up.
Remember: Low Exp Threshold.
That'll leave you vulnerable if you manage to take enough damage to level down, and those Butes can get really freakin' annoying, but Curly's there to help. ^.^
I think the Red Demon will be a bit tough, unless you're nimble enough to dodge all of his attacks easily. :D

But if your that nimble you should be able to avoid all the blocks. And if you get hit, avoid blocks and butes and level it up later with Curly's help.

May 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D

rust45 said:
But if your that nimble you should be able to avoid all the blocks. And if you get hit, avoid blocks and butes and level it up later with Curly's help.
Eh, that's why I probably had such a hard time....
I tried not using Curly's help, XD

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think the Red Demon will be a bit tough, unless you're nimble enough to dodge all of his attacks easily
He's REALLY FREAKING easy if you use the little, barely visible slant in the floor. His missile attacks thrown away when he's standing on the floor will hit it and get destroyed at once, if you stand at the right position, so you *only* have to worry about those he throws while in air.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:04 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Can't we just bring along a lvl1 polar star, just for blocks, and just the blocks that you need to destroy?

Btw, can lvl3 Nemesis destroy blocks?

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Run under the red demon when he jumps and throws stuff at ya. With the right timing (which is easy to get the hang of) you will never get hit by aerial attacks.