Sorajima Monogatari

May 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
SorajimaMonogatari.jpg

Name: Sorajima Monogatari(Sky-Island Story)
Creator(s): Kurai
Type of Mod: Game prequel made using Game Maker 6.0
Current Length: First two areas complete
Current Status: Work In Progress
Features: Curly Brace as player, new items, fight on the surface of the island, CaveMaker(Level Editor Beta).
Brief Synopsis: The humanoid robots Curly Brace and Quote (Quote Mark?) are sent to the island in the sky to stop General Miakid before he discovers the resting place of the Demon Crown.

Fixed version:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nznwhiztmem/Sorajima MonogatariP.zip

Hi! I'm new here. I know this is not really a Mod/Hack but I didn't really know where else to put it. Also have this up in the Game Maker Community website but I wanted a purely Cave Story forum to put it up in as well. Tell me what you think. The engine is not quite Cave Story's clone yet but I'm working on it. :cool:

Levels that will be included(More may be added, some may be taken away):

Vault - First Cave like, the level in the BETA demo.

Edge Town - Your first stop when you reach the island, overun with robots searching for a book containing a map to the Demon Crown.

Mushroom Valley - Giant mushrooms on a floating island? My tribute to one of my other most favourite games. Search for one of Miakid's robot bases which is holding a certain coloured Mimiga prisoner.

Frog Village - A village of Frogs in alliance with the General and overseen by the evil Warlord Rib.

Cyan Way - A waterway leading out of the Frog Village.

Mountain Zone - The highest point on the island. What does Miakid want with a certain legendary hermit?

Cold Plateu - Lots of ice...

Inner Mountain - Last cave, fight your way through to the bottom of the mountain.

Crocodile Sands - A dangerous desert, can you stop Miakid before he discovers the location of the Demon Crown?

Full ending - The whole of Cave Story(From Sand Zone onwards) from Curly's perspective
(will require certain items)

Screenshots:
screenshot1111494.jpg

screenshot1684389.jpg

screenshot1897083.jpg

May 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
dooey100 said:
I seem to remember something about Game Maker not being compatible with Vista, is that the problem?
Yep, this was also the case with the CS Screensaver by Falcon Five, because that was also originally made in GM6. GM7 games work fine with Vista, however.

*I might edit this post when I have comments to add after playing. Looks like it's going to be fun.

May 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
posted in your game maker topic to help with the physics.
good luck.

May 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
dooey100 said:
It didn't work for me. :(
Although it did appear in taskmanager and use the entirety of one of my processors. I seem to remember something about Game Maker not being compatible with Vista, is that the problem?
GMMaker Converter from 6.0 or 6.1 to 7.0 (Vista version)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ysuas3gbpni

Basically, it will hack the executable file of Sky-Island Story in order to make it compatible to Vista.

May 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
JacobX891 said:
While I like your initiative spark, the game was a bit glitchy and water physics were... unrealistic.
ALSO! The Quote fight is too hard.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment and a call to make the game better. I'm guessing you faced Quote with the Soldier Arm at level 1? With it at level 2 you just need to jump on the blocks, making sure not to blow-up the destructible ones, and spam him with multi-bullet goodness.

Lace said:
posted in your game maker topic to help with the physics.
good luck.

Thank you so much! I now have an almost, but not quite, perfect Cave Story physics engine. http://www.mediafire.com/file/wyz2tyjnqhz/CaveStoryPhysicsExample.exe Just the one "getting stuck on the corner sometimes bug" I mentioned in the Game Maker topic.

Haithm said:
GMMaker Converter from 6.0 or 6.1 to 7.0 (Vista version)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ysuas3gbpni

Basically, it will hack the executable file of Sky-Island Story in order to make it compatible to Vista.

Thanks for posting that! ^_^

May 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
New version is up! I've rewritten the engine from scratch, still needs a bit of work but its inching closer to the Cave Story one. New enemies include a Robot Zombie, Balbats and the Tall Pignon sends Spores chasing the player.

The next release will include the finished Mushroom Valley and maybe more.

Any suggestions, critique, ect?

May 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I noticed that you've made your entry for the Quickie Guide, but I'm not entirely sure that this counts as a mod... maybe I'll just mention that's it's not when I get around to putting it in. Anyway, played a little bit; Curly's movement is reeeeaaaally slow unless she's jumping, and she seems to get stuck a bit on slopes. The screen is also reeeeaaaally small, so it would be nice if you could blow it up to at least 2x. I might play it some more at a later stage and give some proper feedback then.

May 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fixed all those glitches for the next release. ^_^ Took a lot of caffine but I figured out what I was doing wrong. Next release will include the Bubbler and the Bazooka from the beta.

Press F4 to go to fullscreen.

P.S: Does anyone know what determines which screen transitions are shown? I want to get that sorted ASAP, without them the game looses some oompf.

May 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The transitions are chosen by a small bit of script, if that's what you mean (<FAI000x, x=0-4. And <FAO000x for FAde In and FAde out respectively.)

May 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
That's what I was looking for, but is it random or set depending on which direction or the mode of movement(Eg: Door, teleporter, cutscene)?

May 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The direction is determined by the value of x. 0=left, 1=up, 2=right, 3=down, 4=center.

For example: <FAO0002 means fade out to right (from left), <FAI0004 means fade in from center, etc.

Also, I really like this concept, but the physics still seem really screwey, and I agree with DT that you should increase the screen size. Did I download the wrong version maybe, or have you just not updated yet?

I love the "new organya" that you used to play the music; gives it a totally new and unique feel.

May 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
wedge of cheese said:
The direction is determined by the value of x. 0=left, 1=up, 2=right, 3=down, 4=center.

For example: <FAO0002 means fade out to right (from left), <FAI0004 means fade in from center, etc.

Also, I really like this concept, but the physics still seem really screwey, and I agree with DT that you should increase the screen size. Did I download the wrong version maybe, or have you just not updated yet?

I love the "new organya" that you used to play the music; gives it a totally new and unique feel.

I see, thanks a lot. The physics are a bit screwy, this is my first attempt at a platform game in Game Maker, but I've gotten it down pat for the next release. To make the screen larger just press F4 or do you mean the amount of area you can see from Curly's relative position?

Thanks, it's MIDI's which can be downloaded at vgmusic.com but the next release will have custom remixs in to make it more unique. ^_^

May 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Sounds cool, I look forward to seeing the next release.

Also, I think you should put something that says "Press F4 for large screen" because otherwise there isn't really any way of knowing that you can do that.

May 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
For the next release:
Next release should be ready by monday/tuesday with fixed physics and hopefully the whole of Mushroom Valley.

Bubbler has been added in and will be found in Houe's house.

By the by, are there any new weapons/enemies/concepts that any of you think would go well with my game?

Also is there anyone willing to do a fully animated Miakid for me? With and without the crown... Would be much abliged.

Changed Quotes face, used the tribute site's profile and edited it to give him quite a few different expressions. Here's a pic:
untitledkurai.jpg

May 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Kurai said:
For the next release:
Next release should be ready by monday/tuesday with fixed physics and hopefully the whole of Mushroom Valley.

Bubbler has been added in and will be found in Houe's house.

By the by, are there any new weapons/enemies/concepts that any of you think would go well with my game?

Also is there anyone willing to do a fully animated Miakid for me? With and without the crown... Would be much abliged.

Changed Quotes face, used the tribute site's profile and edited it to give him quite a few different expressions. Here's a pic:
untitledkurai.jpg

Oh dayum that looks like a nice edit. Mind uploading the face pic edits of quote you made so, you know, others could use em too? please :S?

May 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh dayum that looks like a nice edit. Mind uploading the face pic edits of quote you made so, you know, others could use em too? please :S?

These are all the ones I've done so far, though I think this will be all...
untitled-1.png

Also; this is the facepic for Houe, the leader of edge town and a Mimiga who loves to dress up like the Cthulhu.
untitled-2.png

Tell me what you think. ^_^

May 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Kurai said:
untitled-1.png

Also; this is the facepic for Houe, the leader of edge town and a Mimiga who loves to dress up like the Cthulhu.
untitled-2.png

Tell me what you think. ^_^

Oh man those look awesome, mind if I borrow them for my mod? I'll be editing the quote ones a bit, since it'll be for the antagonist (which looks just like quote, cept evil). I'll give you credit of course.

May 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh man those look awesome, mind if I borrow them for my mod? I'll be editing the quote ones a bit, since it'll be for the antagonist (which looks just like quote, cept evil). I'll give you credit of course.

Thanks a lot. :)
For WTF story? Sure, no problem. ^_^

May 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Quote has a face?!

Kurai said:
untitled-1.png
Erm...
I'm so use to Quote not having facial expressions and not talking that some of these kinda creep me out..
{The smiley one, for example}
XD
Really good, though o.o;