Why is Quote a mute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
I personally think its because THE SCIENTISTS WERE TOO FUCKING LAZY TO CARE!!

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There are moments in the game when he appears to tell people stuff beyond 'yes' or 'no' (ie, Jack says "What? Toroko's been kidnapped?" when you talk to him)... so unless he's reallllly good at charades, I think it's safe to say that we just never hear him talk =P

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
No. The creater obviously thought that it would be cooler to give Quote THE ULTIMATE ABILITY OF CHERADES!

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM
"Huzzah!"
He talks, the player just don't hear him.

You can see that, in some parts of the game.
For example when Quote tells what is happening with Sue in Grass for example.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
We've had this discussion many times already. He talks, but we don't hear him.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
How do you charade "Litagano Motscoud"? Through a door?

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:52 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Quote isn't mute, it's just a matter of player perspective.
Many gamers don't like having a character with preset dialogue, so Pixel (or so I assume) left the exact words 'up to the players imagination'.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The question rather is, why is the player deaf? as we cannot hear quote. Everyone else magically gets subtitles, which is rather convenient.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The question rather is, why is the player deaf? as we cannot hear quote. Everyone else magically gets subtitles, which is rather convenient.

Roffle.
Play my mod and talk to Samantha Morgan.
x3

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The same reason that Gordon Freeman doesn't talk: They are men of action, not of words. -_-

^_^ Actually it just creates that same effect as in half life. don't ask me exactly what that is. An he does seem to talk like mentioned above.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
whyme said:
morse code
Di-dah-dah-dit di-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-di-dit di-dah dah-di-di-dit di-dah-di-dit dah-di-dah-dah, dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
From somewhere, a transmission?

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
number473 said:
From somewhere, a transmission?
Di-dit, di-dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-di-dah di-dah-di-dit dah-di-dit, dah di-di-di-dit di-dit dah-dit dah-di-dah, dah di-di-di-dit di-dah dah, di-di-dit dah-dah-dah dah-dah dit dah-dah-dah dah-dit dit, di-dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-di-dah di-dah-di-dit dah-di-dit, di-di-di-dit di-dah di-di-di-dah dit, dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah di-dit dah-di-dah-dit dit dah-di-dit, di-dit di-di-dah-dit, dah-dah-di-dah di-di-dah dah-dah-dah dah dit, di-di-dit di-dah-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-dah dit, dah-dah-dah dah-dit di-dah-di-dit dah-di-dah-dah, dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-dah-dit di-di-dit dit, dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-dit dit.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:27 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Captain Fabulous said:
Also, this is SO ON TOPIC.

Get used to it, the mods can't seem to do anything about it.

Quote is a mute by writer pictography and creationism, as per the main character of the story: fully influencing his surroundings without once seeming to say anything. That is to say, he doesn't talk to the players knowledge, while clearly communicating in-game in an otherwise original fashion. This is because the writer wanted the main character, in this case Quote, to be left to the player's imagination. Sure there's a sprite to depict him, but other than that, it's up to the player's imagination to decide his attitude and reactions. In the game scenario, you, the player, ARE Quote. Your reactions are his reactions. If you're spending more time wondering why the main character doesn't speak than you are playing the game or making it up, then you've clearly too low an intellect for the heightened awareness.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bisqwit/Silent_protagonist

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
ZarroTsu said:
Get used to it, the mods can't seem to do anything about it.

Quote is a mute by writer pictography and creationism, as per the main character of the story: fully influencing his surroundings without once seeming to say anything. That is to say, he doesn't talk to the players knowledge, while clearly communicating in-game in an otherwise original fashion. This is because the writer wanted the main character, in this case Quote, to be left to the player's imagination. Sure there's a sprite to depict him, but other than that, it's up to the player's imagination to decide his attitude and reactions. In the game scenario, you, the player, ARE Quote. Your reactions are his reactions. If you're spending more time wondering why the main character doesn't speak than you are playing the game or making it up, then you've clearly too low an intellect for the heightened awareness.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bisqwit/Silent_protagonist

Dude seriously. Probably 90% of your posts are insulting or degrading. If you don't like the topic, don't read it, but if you disagree with someone, you can do it more intelligently and maturely if you point out why you disagree without following it up with "and therefore you are an idiot."

Also, do you enjoy playing good mods? I know I do. And in order for me to be able to play good mods, people have to make good mods. So I help and encourage people as much as I can so that they may make better mods.

on-topic: I think quote's voice is to high pitched to be heard by us, but the mimigas can hear it just fine.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
dooey100 said:
Dude seriously. Probably 90% of your posts are insulting or degrading. If you don't like the topic, don't read it, but if you disagree with someone, you can do it more intelligently and maturely if you point out why you disagree without following it up with "and therefore you are an idiot."

Also, do you enjoy playing good mods? I know I do. And in order for me to be able to play good mods, people have to make good mods. So I help and encourage people as much as I can so that they may make better mods.

on-topic: I think quote's voice is to high pitched to be heard by us, but the mimigas can hear it just fine.

Lol, when ZT is talking about the mods, he means the forum moderators, and is refering to how this thread got derailed.

Although I do have to agree, ZT's posts seem very critical and to the point. Being critical and literal is good to some extent, but ZT's takes it too far sometimes, making him come off as an ass. And his comment (besides the bit about the mods) is really useless, as even though what he says is true, this thread was obviously created to speculate about obscure and inane answers to the question. The thread is more about the process of coming to the solution, whether this solution is correct or not, and how the forum-goers interact with eachother as they add their own opinion to the topic. What you (ZT) are effectively trying to do is shut down this thread, by bringing it to a complete stop. This is counter productive, and very rude. Please don't.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Lets shoot the guy who did the subtitling!

Whoops, my bad. Sorry Pixel.

Uh.. Pixel? :eek:

*runs away*

Status
Not open for further replies.