Working on a Mod - Help Needed!

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Ok, it's been a while since my last update. I've had to focus on school and there have been some issues with spritesheets not having what I needed. However that has been fixed now and I'm back on track.

This latest update(V0.3) brings a few new areas to the game, as well as a brand new boss. What I really need to know is if the boss is too hard, and suggestions of which music would suit that boss best. Please give feedback~!

The Save File I left before the second boss won't be there in the final version. That was there while I tested aspects of the boss and I forgot to take it out.

Demo V0.3
Demo V0.2a
Demo V0.2
Demo V0.1

Bugs that I need help correcting
1.After you get the machine gun and save, if you reload the event is still there. Crashes game.
2.<BMP Command in cutscene isn't working correctly

Please let me know any bugs you find, or if you think any area is too hard <3

Under Progress:
-The Beginning cutscene
-Bug Fixes
-Music and Sound fixes

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Each map is linkd to a spritesheet, and the enemies take their pics from that spritesheet. If you have the wrong sheet, the pics will come from the same co-ords, but since it's from a different sheet, it will probably just be blocks of other sprites mashed together. For omega, you need the sand zone sheet unless you want him to look funky.

hope that made sense,
lace

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Wait, Omega is linked to a specific sprite sheet, not a specific map? I thought bosses were linked to a specific map...

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Been here way too long...
it's a map, but if you don't have the right sprite sheet, it looks messed up.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM
Then that brings in another problem. I was using the Outer Wall tileset and one of the enemies from the Outerwall but the sprites were still messed up... Am I doing something horribly wrong?

Also is there a way to add spritesheets in that Sue's Workshop can use easily? I'm pretty set on using Omega if it's at all humanly possible x3

Edit: Also since the link in the weapon hacking topic appears to be broken, does anyone know a quick an easy way to stop a weapon reaching 'Level 3' without a specific item?

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:28 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Zephryl said:
Then that brings in another problem. I was using the Outer Wall tileset and one of the enemies from the Outerwall but the sprites were still messed up... Am I doing something horribly wrong?
The answer to this would be to right-click the map name you want to change the sprites for & click "Settings" from the pop-up menu (Since you know how to change the tileset, I'm guessing you already know about this menu, as well).

In the new window's upper right corner, you'll see two NPC options (The one on top is mainly used for enemy spritesheets, such as Outer Wall's "Moon" set. The 2nd one is usually for boss spritesheets, such as Omega's sprites in "Omg").

Also, most (If not all) of the sprites in "Guest", "Regu", & "Sym" are universally used by the game, & do not need spritesheet settings with this option, just the sprite number when placing the NPC on the map (For example, the save point floppy is sprite #16).

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:12 AM
Bad Beholder said:
The answer to this would be to right-click the map name you want to change the sprites for & click "Settings" from the pop-up menu (Since you know how to change the tileset, I'm guessing you already know about this menu, as well).

In the new window's upper right corner, you'll see two NPC options (The one on top is mainly used for enemy spritesheets, such as Outer Wall's "Moon" set. The 2nd one is usually for boss spritesheets, such as Omega's sprites in "Omg").

Also, most (If not all) of the sprites in "Guest", "Regu", & "Sym" are universally used by the game, & do not need spritesheet settings with this option, just the sprite number when placing the NPC on the map (For example, the save point floppy is sprite #16).

Ahhh! Thankyou! I have a standin boss now :D Gotta try and get Omega working there if at all possible though >.<

Edit:
Is it possible to make normal enemies have a big red boss Health Bar?

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:47 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Zephryl said:
Edit:

yws. if you try hard enough.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM
whyme said:
yws. if you try hard enough.

Great. Any idea how? All I've managed to do is make the boss invincible >.<

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Zephryl said:
Edit:
Yes, just set the enemy's event number to a matching script #. In this example-

Code:
<PRI<FL+0101<SOU0022<DNP0400<CMU0016
<MSG<GIT1006Got a =Life Capsule=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<ML+4501 [color=#7F7F7F]<---(Filler event, no relation)[/COLOR]
Max health increased by [color=#7F7F7F]OVER 9000[/COLOR]!<NOD<ML+4500<END

[color=#7F7F7F]#0500[/COLOR]
<KEY<CMU0015<MSGYou won the battle!<WAI0160<NOD<CMU0025<END[color=#7F7F7F]<---(This one is the event for the boss)[/COLOR]

#0501<KEY<MSGI can say something here.<NOD
Boss fight follows with BSL.<NOD[color=#7F7F7F]<BSL0500[/COLOR]<CMU0007<END
BSL0500 treats the enemy with a matching event # as a boss. Make sure to give it the "Unknown" flag 0x0200 in the "Edit Flags" button's menu, too, as mentioned in the FAQ's TSC Notepad file.

As soon as the boss is defeated, it will run the event script its number is attached to.

Four numbers must be entered for the <BSL command, but the event # used on the boss's map settings doesn't have to have 4 for it to work.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Bad Beholder said:
Yes, just set the enemy's event number to a matching script #. In this example-

Code:
<PRI<FL+0101<SOU0022<DNP0400<CMU0016
<MSG<GIT1006Got a =Life Capsule=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<ML+4501 [color=#7F7F7F]<---(Filler event, no relation)[/COLOR]
Max health increased by [color=#7F7F7F]OVER 9000[/COLOR]!<NOD<ML+4500<END

[color=#7F7F7F]#0500[/COLOR]
<KEY<CMU0015<MSGYou won the battle!<WAI0160<NOD<CMU0025<END[color=#7F7F7F]<---(This one is the event for the boss)[/COLOR]

#0501<KEY<MSGI can say something here.<NOD
Boss fight follows with BSL.<NOD[color=#7F7F7F]<BSL0500[/COLOR]<CMU0007<END
BSL0500 treats the enemy with a matching event # as a boss. Make sure to give it the "Unknown" flag 0x0200 in the "Edit Flags" button's menu, too, as mentioned in the FAQ's TSC Notepad file.

As soon as the boss is defeated, it will run the event script its number is attached to.

Four numbers must be entered for the <BSL command, but the event # used on the boss's map settings doesn't have to have 4 for it to work.

Thankyou very much! I'm almost at the stage where I can release a small demo now!

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Demo is now up! It's fairly short, but I wanted other peoples advice on how I'm going.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM
JacobX891 said:
The staircase of Presses isn't climbable. Fix it.

It is. Destroy the last one and jump around.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:04 AM
I like it like that, but if anyone else thinks it's too hard then I'll change it. For this version of the demo at least it'll stay.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Hi there! Welcome to
Spoilerville
-In the second room, near the hidden save point, it's possible to jump up on the block just to the right, then jump straight up and get ejected through the rock. This isn't your fault, it's a CS mapping quirk, but to fix it you'll need to put a 'whole' block there rather than the slightly sloped one that's there currently.
-If you climb into the hidden passage on the left side of that area, you basically get stuck unless you use the same trick to exit it as well.
-Boss is a sorta challenging, especially with the extra 'bonuses'. Luckily I've gotten really good at dodging those cotton balls from playing Kashungo :p
-In the next area, it's possible to jump up and get the life capsule, but then I get stuck with no way out. Also, Water Purifier comes up as Pur
ifier.
-Oh hey, backwards Sand Zone. It took a bit of figuring out and some careful jumping, and I like how you can't just get the Machine Gun to Lv3 and zoom through it. On the other hand, since that Life Capsule can't be gotten, if you take one hit from anything but a Beetle you're screwed, and there are an awful lot of enemies in that middle section. I managed to get through it eventually, but that jump just near the end is pretty nasty, and it takes forever to get there :x
-There's no sound in the Small Room, and the Safety music keeps playing when you exit to the Shifting Sands. Also, the Residence has no door.
-Pretty snappy animation in the final area.

Well, so far this is quite good, especially for a first attempt. You've used enemies well and there are a some good ideas in here, and this will improve as you get the hang of scripting. All the doors work properly (I think), which is definitely a good start :) That's all I can really say for now. I mean, what you've got so far is pretty good, but there are a LOT of mods at or around this level of completion and/or quality. If you decide to continue with it it should start to show more individuality and hopefully reach into some unexplored territory, so good for you if that's the case.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
It should be noted that killing a sandcroc in that battle will prematurely end the battle, which effectively ruins the fight.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
DoubleThink said:
Hi there! Welcome to
Spoilerville
-In the second room, near the hidden save point, it's possible to jump up on the block just to the right, then jump straight up and get ejected through the rock. This isn't your fault, it's a CS mapping quirk, but to fix it you'll need to put a 'whole' block there rather than the slightly sloped one that's there currently.
-If you climb into the hidden passage on the left side of that area, you basically get stuck unless you use the same trick to exit it as well.
-Boss is a sorta challenging, especially with the extra 'bonuses'. Luckily I've gotten really good at dodging those cotton balls from playing Kashungo :p
-In the next area, it's possible to jump up and get the life capsule, but then I get stuck with no way out. Also, Water Purifier comes up as Pur
ifier.
-Oh hey, backwards Sand Zone. It took a bit of figuring out and some careful jumping, and I like how you can't just get the Machine Gun to Lv3 and zoom through it. On the other hand, since that Life Capsule can't be gotten, if you take one hit from anything but a Beetle you're screwed, and there are an awful lot of enemies in that middle section. I managed to get through it eventually, but that jump just near the end is pretty nasty, and it takes forever to get there :x
-There's no sound in the Small Room, and the Safety music keeps playing when you exit to the Shifting Sands. Also, the Residence has no door.
-Pretty snappy animation in the final area.

Well, so far this is quite good, especially for a first attempt. You've used enemies well and there are a some good ideas in here, and this will improve as you get the hang of scripting. All the doors work properly (I think), which is definitely a good start :) That's all I can really say for now. I mean, what you've got so far is pretty good, but there are a LOT of mods at or around this level of completion and/or quality. If you decide to continue with it it should start to show more individuality and hopefully reach into some unexplored territory, so good for you if that's the case.

Woo! Thanks for the bug finds~
With the two jump-through-able blocks, I'll fiddle with them at a later point. The one at the life capsule was actually deliberate.

The text cut-off will be fixed in the next demo, as well as the couple of parts where a bit of unnecessary coding is in the messages.

The Sand-zone isn't too hard is it? I was worried I made it a bit hard for that early in the game, but there's not a lot to do with it since I didn't want to change it significantly from the sand-zone we all know and love :p

Do you think I should add an obtainable Life-capsule so that you can take a hit?

yeah I haven't fiddled with music and sound yet, what's there is just basic stuff so I knew how it worked.

The MYB code in the second half of the cutscene doesn't seem to work properly. It's meant to knock me back with the Lightning, but won't work for some reason.

Also I'm working on the sand-croc problem now, I think I know how to fix it ^^

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cool mod you're doing :D
By the way... Do anyone know how to change BGM and sound effects in CS?

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Music is changed using the <CMU command. To add custom music in *.org format, you need resource hacker. You can play sound effects in a script using the <SOU command. You can also change the sound effects that play when enemies are hurt/killed by hacking npc.tbl. Other sound effects are stored in the *.exe. To use custom sound effects, you should use sshsigi's sound pusher, which is somewhere in the hacking forum.

Haven't played the mod yet, but I probably will soon, and will hopefully have some helpful comments for you.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
*Smacks self*
I'mma go do something useful.