The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
How is there light in the cave? Most of the time there is no obvious light source, and when you're on the outer wall, it's night (though, it's day on the balcony). I don't think you've got night-vision either, because all the Mimiga can see and Infrared doesn't penetrate water, so it wouldn't work whenever you were submerged (and you wouldn't be able to see into the water)

No one ever seems to mention having trouble seeing in The Cave, though at certain times the background looks darker other times.

Thoughts?

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Icarus said:
How is there light in the cave? Most of the time there is no obvious light source, and when you're on the outer wall, it's night (though, it's day on the balcony). I don't think you've got night-vision either, because all the Mimiga can see and Infrared doesn't penetrate water, so it wouldn't work whenever you were submerged (and you wouldn't be able to see into the water)

No one ever seems to mention having trouble seeing in The Cave, though at certain times the background looks darker other times.

Thoughts?
There has been speculation before about this, but nothing concrete.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:02 AM
Banned
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I just ignore stuff like that.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Speculations...

Icarus said:
How is there light in the cave?
There isn't – Quote just has superior vision. Not night-vision – more like radar.

Icarus said:
when you're on the outer wall, it's night (though, it's day on the balcony).
When you're on the Outer Wall, it's actually daytime – however, you're in the shadow of the island, so it's dark.

Icarus said:
all the Mimiga can see
Well, I expect Grassland is open to the sky. Yes, I know you see the ceiling above you, but I'm suggesting that Grassland is actually on a ledge/niche on the side of the island. So, if you moved out of the screen, you'd fall off the island.

It's probably possible to posit similar scenarios for the Mimiga Village, the Farm, the Lake, the Plantation, and the Sand Zone – they're partially open to the sky. As for the Egg Corridor... maybe it has "windows"?

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, that sounds more feasible than my theory which was that the rocks contained tiny bioluminescent organisms.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
wedge of cheese said:
Well, that sounds more feasible than my theory which was that the rocks contained tiny bioluminescent organisms.
Maybe. Or the rocks could be reflecting light down the tunnels. Maybe lighting was installed when the humans came, but I have reason to believe that the light in the caves is natural.

Though when there is absolutely no light instead of just minimal light, good vision is worth jack all. Also, Moromin and Booster never had any issues seeing.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It's the Sand Crocs in the sand zone. When you jump right next to one, you get deflected off big time. They could be reflecting light all around the cave.

On an unrelated note, it's been seven days, and I can't edit my avatar. >:/

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM
This Troper
Hey, natural optical fiber. I mean, it's a freaking flying island, it's not that it can get that much weirder.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM
In front of a computer
andwhyisit said:
Though when there is absolutely no light instead of just minimal light, good vision is worth jack all.
Not necessarily – if it's radar-based vision, it would not depend on the presence of light in the caves. Or sonar vision.

Fire1052 said:
On an unrelated note, it's been seven days, and I can't edit my avatar. >:/
I imagine you'll be auto-promoted fairly soon...

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I still can't seem to come up with an answer for this. I'm willing to assume that Mimiga village has some form of skylight, and the plantation too, but as far as Egg Corridor, First Cave and the Labyrinth go, Can't think of anything.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Banned
I answered you. The Sand Crocs from the outside of the island shoot the light in to the Sand Crocs in the Sand Zone. Then it just goes everywhere else, since there are a lot of Sand Crocs.

And maybe there is no light that can get in. Maybe you can see because the light can't get out. ;O

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM
graters gonna grate
But... light gets absorbed?

W00T 250 POSTS BITCHES, FUCK YEAH!!

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Banned
The island floats. Do you need anymore science-teachings today?

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM
In front of a computer
Icarus said:
I still can't seem to come up with an answer for this. I'm willing to assume that Mimiga village has some form of skylight, and the plantation too, but as far as Egg Corridor, First Cave and the Labyrinth go, Can't think of anything.
Egg Corridor probably has electric lighting, actually. First Cave could be explained by saying you have radar-vision. The Labyrinth probably has luminescent fungi.

*fwaps WedgeOfCheese with a haddock*

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM
Banned
The Labyrinth is full of robots. Prolly has electric lighting, too.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Could it be that it is actually dark everywhere, but the creatures and robots are adapted to dark conditions?

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM
In front of a computer
Isn't that what I keep saying? Radar vision? :p

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM
I was thinking along the lines of night vision.
You know.
Greenvison that burns your retinas if you stare at the sun?

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM
In front of a computer
Night vision generally involves detecting infrared light, so it would only work in places that are neither particularly warm nor really cold. It has the same type of limitations as regular vision has.

Radar vision, however, would not rely on any existing light of any frequency.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Except some rock formations are known to absorb the frequencies used by radar, so it has limits too.