Plotholes and gaps: What we DON'T know

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
This is a place to list unanswered questions in Cave Story as well as mention any possible contradictions in the plot (if they exist). For example, how did all the teleporters get distributed about the island? And who built the vault in which the Core was kept?

I'm more interested in what we don't know, but I imagine a discussion of that would inevitably involve mentioning things we do know.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:14 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
What I'd like to know is why the gunsmith is a hermit?
I mean, that's a very useful craft.
Why hide?
I'm sure there's a story reason for it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:55 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think he's a hermit because he doesn't WANT it to be a useful craft. In that speech he gives before making the spur, he basically says that he believes anyone who uses a gun he didn't build himself is cheating, so presumably he never gives or sells people his products (or at least, he never gives them his products unless they prove to him that they deserve it, as Quote did).

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:03 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Brickman said:
I think he's a hermit because he doesn't WANT it to be a useful craft. In that speech he gives before making the spur, he basically says that he believes anyone who uses a gun he didn't build himself is cheating, so presumably he never gives or sells people his products (or at least, he never gives them his products unless they prove to him that they deserve it, as Quote did).
So...
The HGS has 9,001 weapons he's made, but he won't sell/give them off/away because he believes he deserves them?
o.o

HGS IS RAMBO!

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Celtic Minstrel said:
And who built the vault in which the Core was kept?
This is a very interesting question, as is who built the Egg Corridor, and who rigged up the island with all that plumbing. Not to mention I can't remember if it's said what it is that Moromin and Co. were actually going to the island to study in the first place. The island has a varied and violent past, and there was obviously a technological influence on it at some point. For the most part, we can only speculate... or do what I do and make stuff up to explain it :D

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM
"Huzzah!"
What's Misery secret to look young after 4 generations of crown masters? :D lol

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Jay City said:
What's Misery secret to look young after 4 generations of crown masters? :D lol
Fairies can live hundreds of years so I think Misery is a fairy.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
who's miza father? i need to know when I ask for her hand.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Jay City said:
What's Misery secret to look young after 4 generations of crown masters? :p lol

The curse of the crown, If you see the best ending,
you will see a grownup misery in the credits...
was that a spoiler?
----
my question is.. how the heck the island stop falling if you kill ballos????

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
time.X.300 said:
was that a spoiler?
----
my question is.. how the heck the island stop falling if you kill ballos????

That's easy.
Ballos's negative energy released after destroying the core caused the island to fall. Ballos lives in the true center of the island, some call "hell".
In the end, after you kill him, all the negative energy vanishes, due to Ballos's death, and the island stops falling.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The teleporters and most of the high tech stuff I thought came from the war with the surface when they needed to transport troops and stuff.

I know the theory about how the core kept the island up when Ballos was pushing it down with his negative energy, and by destroying them both the negative and the positive you cancel them out, but what about, ya know, gravity? What holds the island up after the good ending?

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:48 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
supermario566 said:
Why does Booster die if you talk to him in the Labrynth, but end up unscathed if you ignore him?
You take his jetty, he assumes he'd done what he's supposed to FTSO the island. He gives up hopes for his gut, loses will, dies. Tis' the path of a true pessimist.

You pretend you didn't see anything falling down or anything, he feels he's still got to pay his responsibility. He's got will, survives.

How the hell were we able to save the community using one stupid character? Or two, if you include stupid Curly. The others do help, but in the end it does seem like you only need Quote to beat the game. I just can't accept it.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:00 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well you couldn't get to the place where you're needed without Momorin and Itoh, but in general, I'd say that's the flaw of videogames everywhere.

And there's possibly a more practical reason than just belief that he'd served/not served his purpose for Booster's life/death: If he gives you the jetpack, he has nothing available at his disposal with which to fix the teleporter--no visible tools, no power supplies, and none of the internal components of the jetpack. If he keeps it, he has a very powerful piece of technology which he designed himself and knows inside and out, and probably could have used some parts from it to help with the teleporter in some way. Even if he didn't die right after talking to you he'd die eventually if he didn't get out of that room...

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I had a hard time understanding Cave Story until I personally decided that Cave Story is a sequel to the NES game Crystalis [aka in Japan, Godslayer: Sonata of the Far Away Skies]

By incorporating that story into Cave Story's history a lot of things made more sense and a lot seemed to click in my opinion... lol
Crystalis would take place hundreds or thousands of years before Ballos' kingdom... but it helped me get comfortable with how Cave Story's world is the way it is...
Check out the intro's first 2 minutes or so : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=76gCa2PIbys&fmt=18
Check out the ending : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQCqKYjlI0&fmt=18

Just a couple brief notes of the game :
The main character is from the past, he's been sleeping and he awakes with no memory...
But, quickly destiny is thrust upon him as he travels the world and recieves messages from his counterpart who has also awoken... Mesia. [seems strangely close to Misery...]
The main character over the course of the game develops the power to levitate, to teleport, to paralyze, heal himself, cure himself, change enemies into lesser forms [like blobs etc], and a barrier to protect himself. He wielded swords that he could use to channel magical attacks, like lightning bolts, fireballs, ice, wind...

I wrote a lot more on this thread about it though :
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/152/

Jump to the bottom of the page to see an interesting comparison screenshot. [there are quotes from the game right above that]
I really want to see Cave Story and Crystalis as part of the same storyline because Crystalis always begged for a remake or to have more in that universe... I just wonder if Pixel played Crystalis in his youth :p

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:02 PM
"Huzzah!"
time.X.300 said:

grownup? She looks the same as always, more calm and less mad, but yeah, the same.

If she growup, was inside, for learning a lesson about power, for using ballos to create the demon crown.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
freezit4 said:
You take his jetty, he assumes he'd done what he's supposed to FTSO the island. He gives up hopes for his gut, loses will, dies. Tis' the path of a true pessimist.

You pretend you didn't see anything falling down or anything, he feels he's still got to pay his responsibility. He's got will, survives.
He needed components from the Booster to fix the teleporter... though if he has the Booster you have to wonder why he didn't use it to follow Quote... I guess it's because teleporting is easier?

freezit4 said:
How the hell were we able to save the community using one stupid character? Or two, if you include stupid Curly. The others do help, but in the end it does seem like you only need Quote to beat the game. I just can't accept it.
Quote could not have done it without the help of several of the other characters, including Curly, Booster, and Itoh.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Why does, if curly and quote are the same robots, then why does curly have an air tank, but quote does not.

Also, what the heck is balrog???

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
JacobX891 said:
Balrog is Balrog. The question you pose is a question with no answer.

:rolleyes: I knew an answer like that would pop up.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:42 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've got a better question on the Booster issue: Why, if you don't take the jetpack, are Booster's glasses fixed when he makes it to Arthur's house?