How to change percussion instruments in mods...

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've noticed that when you set a value for the instrument(percussion only) in an org (like, lets say making track 9 a Bass01) and if you hack that org into a cavestory mod, track 9 will play as a (Snare01) no matter what you change track 9's instrument to.

When i first saw this i thought that this meant that every song used the same instruments for their percussion (something along the lines of Track8 = Bass01, Track9 = Snare01, Track10 = HiClose01, Track11 = HiOpen01, etc) but looking at songs such as White.org (King's theme) and Ending.org (the song played at the credits) I can see that their percussion instrument values differ (particularly tracks 12 and 13) and play in the game properly.

So I was wondering if, in the executable, there were values that set the instrument percussion values for these orgs, and how they might be edited. It would be useful to modders in the future who would plan to add their own music to the game in org format.

Edit: It should be noted that I am using Resource Hacker to import the orgs into the executable, ty to Lace for reminding me to include this.

Edit2: It should also be noted that I am using OrgMaker 134 to make the orgs (the org maker that is FULLY compatible with cavestory i believe)

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM
Been here way too long...
Not quite sure, as I am tiered beyond belief right now, but the problem could be one of a few thongs:

First, it could be that org 2 has instruments org 1 didn't, cave story could only handle org one instruments, so yeah...

Of course, that is completely bogus, seeing as you are using an instrument that is in both, that is completely bogus, but...

To check if it is resource hackers fault, put one of the default tracks into the game, if percussion 9 gets screwed up, it is resource hacker, not you.

And if that's the case, open up your or with a hex editor, copy everything down, open up cave story with a hex editor, find the music offset, and replace with your own music.

This'll probably stop the corruption too.

Of course your error is totally, unbelievably bogus, even more so because I have gotten it myself.

Gratz,
A very, very, tired dude.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Hoxtilicious
This can't be the correct answer, simply due to the fact that my TEMPEST.ORG (Track8 = Snare01, Track9 = HiOpen, Track10 = HiOpen) and my HiddenPalace.org (Track8 = Bass01, Track9 = Snare01, Track10 = Tom01) work both correctly in my mod, without having their instruments changed.

Lace said:
First, it could be that org 2 has instruments org 1 didn't, cave story could only handle org one instruments, so yeah...

There are no "Org-01" .org's :p All .org's have the header "Org-02".

Lace said:
To check if it is resource hackers fault

Isn't. But most people blame resource hacker.

Lace said:
And if that's the case, open up your or with a hex editor, copy everything down, open up cave story with a hex editor, find the music offset, and replace with your own music.

That's how I replaced org's a long time ago :p
And believe me, it produces a lot more problems than recourse hacker.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
This can't be the correct answer, simply due to the fact that my TEMPEST.ORG (Track8 = Snare01, Track9 = HiOpen, Track10 = HiOpen) and my HiddenPalace.org (Track8 = Bass01, Track9 = Snare01, Track10 = Tom01) work both correctly in my mod, without having their instruments changed.

Let me see the mod please, I need proof.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM
Hoxtilicious
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Let me see the mod please, I need proof.

No, I'm not going to release my mod yet.

Edit: Damn you're right :p
It really works like you said, now I have to find a way to edit it.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM
Hoxtilicious
The current List is:

Track08: Base01
Track09: Snare01
Track10: HiClosed
Track11: HiOpen
Track12: Tom01
Track13: Per02
Track14: [Crash]
Track15: [Crash]

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
track 13 is not per02, check the ending credits if you will and compare it with the org playing with per02, they're not the same. track13 appears to be an instrument not seen in either of the org makers

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:04 AM
Hoxtilicious
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
track 13 is not per02, check the ending credits if you will and compare it with the org playing with per02, they're not the same. track13 appears to be an instrument not seen in either of the org makers

Not correct, check per02 out and you will see that it equals Track13.
I already compared it with my costum org and it sounds exactly like per02 :o
Though maybe it's not 100% the same.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Not correct, check per02 out and you will see that it equals Track13.
I already compared it with my costum org and it sounds exactly like per02 :p
Though maybe it's not 100% the same.

No they sound a bit different, even though the org for "The way back home" does list per02 as its track13. It's a different instrument, that's all I'm saying. An instrument I can't seem to find in either of the org makers, so I call it unknown01, it would be interesting to extract it and put it in org maker though...

You can hear it in king.org too, that one supposedly uses snare01 for it's track13, but it's off like the other. Maybe track13 is a hybrid between the snare01 and per01? Because they appear to be the same instrument, and should be according to our theory.

Edit: King's theme is the biggest proof I have of this, because it is most visible in this song.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM
Hoxtilicious
It seems to be per01.

Sound effect number is 65 and adress is 0x9B.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
It is indeed "Per01" as referenced in the executable, but is it the same OrgMaker Per01 we know and love? It could be a different sound for all we know. And I'm too lazy to check. ;P

What I can't figure is how some songs will recognize the 6th drum track (White.org) while others (e.g. mine) will make the game crash.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Xaser, mind posting your song that makes it crash so we could see what makes it crash? There might be a solution, but who knows