Cave Story Site/Forum Update Discussion

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:04 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hello everyone, I'm happy to have returned to see the Cave Story fans still active and posting in the forum. I understand that I have not been here for some time and that there have not been any updates for quite some time either. I also have loads of emails that I have had no time to answer or add to the site or answer due to other responsibilities such as working on a portfoilio for my college.

To be honest, while I love Cave Story and I enjoyed creating a community and website for it, updating the site and following the Cave Story content as it appears and moves around the internet takes a great deal of time to complete. I know honestly that as I would like to update these things, I know I have no time to do so any more, at least by myself.

This leaves either of two options. Either I can try to update what I can, as I have the time to do so, bit by bit with the help of someone who can catch me up to date with what links have changed and what still needs to be added and so forth, but as I mentioned above, this is something that would take a very long time to do. Or, I can have someone who is interested in continuing the work I started work with me directly in manually updating the site and finding the new content and help with maintaining the site/forums. This of course would be someone who is preferably knowledgeable about how to use an ftp server and update various webpages mostly using basic html. In
other words, I would prefer to have the Cave Story Tribute site project managed by someone who would be willing and want to take up the challenge of heading it since I do not have as much time as I once did to update it. This would be what I would prefer to happen eventually, but as this is only a discussion, it is just here to generate some other ideas and thought processes as what to do at this point.

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/

Following what I mentioned above in the thread about our moving to a new server so we can cut expenses down a bit, it is unknown at this time whether or not we will continue to use the current vBulletin server as we may not have the necessary components needed to run a full vBulletin server. We'll see what happens as the migration process continues.

Thank you all for visiting the site and I hope I can work together with the Cave Story community to help so that this Tribue site/forum can still be used as a valuable resource for fans to use.

-SkyeWelse

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, doesn't seem like anyone is interested.

It'd be too much work for me to take on. I just picked the game up myself, played and beat it a few times (doing different things each time) and finally beating Hell and Ballos.

Now I'm messing around with Miza, trying to get a nice map played. Having a hard time editing the game to allow more event triggers, but that's due to my overwhelming lack of recent rom hacking.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I would like to do it, but at the same time I don't want to assume control of it for fear of not knowing what to do. XP

What exactly would the job entail? How often would it be necessary to update the site?

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:11 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well I think for now, I had better handle restoring and updating the new content and updated information regarding Cave Story directly since I have no idea where I left off on the site and may take awhile getting adjusted to it. Because I can still see an interest in Cave Story on these forums, I will try and find time in the near future to update the site as I can. However this will not be possible unless I can have some additional information as to what has happened, what links have changed and what new content is now available for Cave Story fans since I've been gone. If you all are interested in seeing an update soon, if you could, please post what needs to be changed around, updated or added and with what. This way I can easily see what I need to focus on without having to spend too much time hunting it down on the net.

I know there were some issues with the links not pointing to the actual game anymore and that there may be more than one version out there now as well as additional translations. Not to mention speed run stuff, new fanart, possibly new guides, et cetera. If I am to update, I will need to learn about everything that has changed since I've been away. If you all are up to the task of providing that for me, I will see what I can do when I have any additional time to see if I can update the site a bit more.

I apologize for the wait of the site being update, but hey, what can I say, Real life throws curve balls sometimes.

I realize that there have been more than a few related emails regarding Cave Story questions and content, as I have not had time to answer them I have not answered any of them, since I would not be fair to the rest to answer some and not others. Again, I apologize for this, but there became so many that I became impossible for me to answer them. I did keep them however and a great deal of them had content for the site and information, mostly stating how I haven't updated the site. I may not be able to answer all these, but the ones pointing to fanart or additional content, I will see about placing on the site during this update process.

If I can achieve an update to the site and get everything up-to-present-date, perhaps then I can have peace of mind and turn this site project over to someone who is willing to help try and maintain it. It will also give me a better feel of explaining what needs to be done and how to do it.

For now though, please continue to enjoy the forums. : ) I can see that at least the forums are currently updated and it is something that you all at least do not need me here to fix. lol

-SkyeWelse

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:27 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Alright, so here's the link to Doukutsu Monogatari 1.0.0.6, as on Pixel's site:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/rochet/storage/dou_1006.zip

And here's the link to Organya View:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/rochet/storage/dou_bgm.zip

I think all of the guides on the site are still okay. You may want to add this, for those who know how to hack Cave Story:

http://lotlot.net/misc/doukutsu/tsc.txt <-- A list of TSC commands used to change character text, and such.

Speaking of hacking the game, you might want to add some links on the site to both of the game's known editors:

http://www.devil-studios.de/SWv0_2.zip <-- Sue's Workshop
http://helmetedrodent.kickassgamers.com/miza.exe <-- Miza

Under the items section of the site, you currently have this as description for the Beast Fang:
"An unknown item that has not yet been located during regular gameplay duration and is speculated to exist somewhere in the game as evidence supports from Cave Story debug tests and save hacking. Apparently it has some connection to the Yamashita Farm after returning there from the Labyrinth."
Since we've found the Beast Fang and got it, maybe that should be changed to something like:
"An item located in Yamashita Farm that can only be obtained after editing the game using one of the Cave Story editors. It exists in the block under the life capsule in Yamashita Farm. It is is speculated to exist from Cave Story debug tests and save hacking, and has no use in regular gameplay."

Under the music section you might want to add links to some new covers of Cave Story music, like:
http://www.e-moe.net/~pripas/cave/cave.htm <-- MIDIs and sheet music!
http://shachinobu.z1.bbzone.net/mus/game/doukutu.html <-- MP3s of selected Cave Story music.

The Speed Run section, in my opinion, relies entirely on whether or not you can answer e-mails from people regarding their speed running scores, so unless you openly declare on the page that you want people to e-mail you screenshots of their finishing Hell (and I don't think you can handle that right now), nothing will happen on that section for a while.

Under the Links section you might add a link to another fan site that is generally devoted to Pixel's work: http://www.shii.org/pixel/ There are probably other links, but I can't think of any right now. I'll edit if I can think of some more.

Everything else on the site seems pretty much in order. Now I just have one question: http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/siteimages/pixelthanks.jpg <-- This is on the Thanks section, but where the heck did it come from and what does it say? I know I've never seen anything like it in gameplay.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:58 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
wppwah said:
Everything else on the site seems pretty much in order. Now I just have one question: http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/siteimages/pixelthanks.jpg <-- This is on the Thanks section, but where the heck did it come from and what does it say? I know I've never seen anything like it in gameplay.
That's actually two questions. I can answer one:
it says:
"Pixel-san,
Thank you very much
for creating a fun game
liek(sic) Cave Story for us."

There's a minor typo in it, where the word for "like" is missing one character. I think "liek" is the closest equivalent in English.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:05 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Thank you Wppwah for submitting that information. It will be something I can use soon when attempting to update the site.

I would like to know about what translations are currently available out there for Cave Story. I was aware that there was the one by Gideon Zhi's team at Aeon Genesis, but I had heard that Pixel himself was going to have doukutsu's translation published through a separate translation group. That's pretty much where I leave off in terms of up-to-date knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wppwah
Everything else on the site seems pretty much in order. Now I just have one question: http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/...pixelthanks.jpg <-- This is on the Thanks section, but where the heck did it come from and what does it say? I know I've never seen anything like it in gameplay.

That's actually two questions. I can answer one:
it says:
"Pixel-san,
Thank you very much
for creating a fun game

There's a minor typo in it, where the word for "like" is missing one character. I think "liek" is the closest equivalent in English.

Yep. That about sums it up. : ) I created that as a message for Pixel himself in case he were to ever visit the site. My Japanese ability is mediocre at best.

-Skyewelse

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:49 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
SkyeWelse said:
upthorn said:
it says:
"Pixel-san,
Thank you very much
for creating a fun game

Yep. That about sums it up. : ) I created that as a message for Pixel himself in case he were to ever visit the site. My Japanese ability is mediocre at best.

-Skyewelse
I was guessing it was something like that.
I'd have to say, though, you phrased it better than most people would have in any Japanese class I've taken. You'd be one of the top 5. Only thing is you forgot the "u" on "you-na". Nothing major.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Mar 16, 2006 at 10:25 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Yeah I read your post regarding that. Very nice idea, although it still looks bleak as to when I'm going to have the time to update the site. You all will know when I know, that's the best I can give for now.

Still interested in having someone explain the translation processes that have happened while I was away. I know that there is at least one English translation for PC and MAC that was by Gideon Zhi's Aeon Genesis translation team, but their may be more out there and I'm going to need to link to all of the ones that are currently available when I do update.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
SkyeWelse said:
Still interested in having someone explain the translation processes that have happened while I was away. I know that there is at least one English translation for PC and MAC that was by Gideon Zhi's Aeon Genesis translation team, but their may be more out there and I'm going to need to link to all of the ones that are currently available when I do update.

The only translation I know of is AGTP's translation for the original Windows version. Enterprising Mac users were able to switch in the files from the AGTP translation to translate most of the Mac version (and I thought I heard once about a hack someone did to finish the rest, but I've never been able to track it down).

The translation was updated a couple times when version 1.0.0.6 of Cave Story was released, but the latest patch should be stable now (and slightly improved over the old one).

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Shih Tzu said:
The only translation I know of is AGTP's translation for the original Windows version. Enterprising Mac users were able to switch in the files from the AGTP translation to translate most of the Mac version (and I thought I heard once about a hack someone did to finish the rest, but I've never been able to track it down).

The translation was updated a couple times when version 1.0.0.6 of Cave Story was released, but the latest patch should be stable now (and slightly improved over the old one).

Thanks for this information. I plan to do an update soon, possibly even tonight if I can find the time and I can fix my connections. I've been having difficulties uploading files lately due to some Windows update issues. The update may not contain everything that needs attention, but it should update the download links with the new content provided, the fanart and music remix sections, and perhaps add the pages to such programs as Sue's Workshop.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:16 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
An update was made tonight. Thank you for all of your support in helping me with this update process. And now I go to sleep. Zzzzzz

-SkyeWelse

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:16 AM
SeriousFace said:
Could someone translate the guys name who did these remixes? If its different people I really just need the name of the guy who did last battle, and if he changed the name of the song, I'd appreciate that too.

You should go ask Shih Tzu.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:30 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I've been receiving some new fanart submissions so there will be an update to the Cave Story Tribute coming up soon. Right now I've got a few projects going on which are requiring my attention. One of the fanart submissions was of a pretty decent "Quote" character cosplay.

Edit: Oh and I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before, but I found this Soul Calibur III character creation of Curly Brace to be histerical.

curlybrace.jpg

-SkyeWelse

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That is true, I have seen the SC3 Curly Brace which is kind of wierd looking. I guess I am just used to the smaller Curly Brace. Skyewelse, I have an idea for one of those rank pictures with a caption. IT would be a Polar Star and the caption would be,"It's not the ultimate handgun, but what is!"

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I just saw you update the forum now Skywelse :p
Well, u should relocate the threads... ^^

Edit: Please use some of the following ;)

Mods
Assembly Hacks
TSC
Music
Game (for questions like "how fast did you cleared hell run")
Misc

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:41 AM
Hoxtilicious
Hehehe its funny to see the forum at upgrade time XDDDD
i know this post is spam but its very funny to see XD

Nov 12, 2007 at 11:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The list of music for the cave story soundtrack is a bit off, it should be like this:
Access
Gestation
Mimiga Village
Plant
Balrog's Theme
Gravity
Cemetery
Safety
Mischievous Robot
Pulse
On to Grasstown
Eyes of Flame