Mod: The Wrath of Revorshkenahl

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yeah, I didn't test it, sorry.
:D

try changing the tsc buffer, though I doubt such a small script would go over it. I haven't a clue what other buffer would be exceeded tho...

you can leave it with the old text if you want to, the hack was the main point.

welcome back from ban land btw.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Download link for Lace's hack is fixed. Located in the same spot in the first post.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM
yay!
finally.

there's a newer version though.
that be here.
I forget what I changed though.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM
graters gonna grate
I put both in the first post just to be safe

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
...You may want to remove all those spikes, and remove a LOT of critters.

You could simply die from them.

I had to retry like 54385 TIMES to get through them.

Take alot of critters out of the way. They get too annoying.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:28 AM
or you could try not to die.
seriously, they're critters.
anyways, this mod's completado, and nobody else had that problem, so yeah...

@world
okay in the second version of el hacko, I changed the horizontal speed of the stickies, made them not make an annoying sound, changed the damage and max onscreen, and the horizontal distance they go when fired upwards.
that should be all, so thee needn't worry.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:54 PM
graters gonna grate
Sounds nifty!

And I woulda just totally ignored Ryuuton if I were you.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM
yeah, I'm running through the whole mod w/ haxxed flamers, but it makes it a lot harder.
:/

although you can massacre one of de mountains with ease.
and tool on the mystic ninja.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
This mod is too hard.

This mod is too hard.
No seriously, you've done some things WRONG here.

The mods starts out okay, and it isn't too difficult. Things start to go wrong however, once we get to the sisters. The sisters aren't THAT BAD, however having to go through a flurry of projectiles while hovering with your machine gun to get to them is NOT FUN. Not fun at all. Plus it really is just not fair that you expect to have the player have the machine gun at level 3 at a bunch of stages in the game. Detracts from the game's quality really.

Anyways the next part that bugs me is the tundra (oh and that colour puzzle I didn't really bother to read, just looked at BadBeholder's walkthrough, probably wouldn't have solved it and would have been pissed). There are a lot of places where you insta-die here, and there is a severe lack of saves. You either need to make it more forgiving or more saves. And same for the tundra guardian, it is just mean to have to go through the switch maze everytime just to go to him.

And last (since this is where I'm at for now) is the Great Unknown. This part wasn't as bad as the tundra, at least not until I got to the boss (and then a sandcroc thing killed me). That was like 15-30 minutes of work gone, and that just pisses me off. You could have a save there.

So basically, if you're going to make things this hard, please put some saves inbetween so we only have to do maybe 2 death defying acts at a time rather than 10 in a row.

Also you're not that great of an artist. Some of the sprites detract from the game's quality, (like some of the facepics D: ) but they don't feel very inspired. Or maybe I just don't like the artstyle (is it a style? cuz it doesn't look very good). You reuse some CS graphics, and I would put you down for this but they're probably better than the ones you put in beside them so meh. And I don't think the level 3 rage should look like a giant rainbow colored ball (white with rainbow following it).

The storyline's kinda bland too, it feels like there's too much backstory being thrown at you at times, but really I just can't get into it. Doesn't draw me in, it rather bores me when I have to watch some cutscenes (mainly the ones with the gods, the other ones weren't that bad).

The best thing about this mod is the music, since it's all custom and all sounds pretty good.

I don't know when/if I'll be finishing this mod.

Oh and like the 5 first words of this post suggest, I think the worst thing about this mod (like many others) is the difficulty.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: This mod is too hard.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
This mod is too hard.

Now, I haven't actually played Revorshkenahl, but;

Fine words coming from the creator of WTF Story. :D

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Well, when the creator of wtf story says it's hard.... :D

Although personally, I never found wtf story to be hard so much as annoying.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Tronlet said:

Exactly. I also think that what he said is hypocrisy. If he can swish through his mod quickly, then he shouldn't have a problem playing through this one. Regardless if you made it yourself or not, it still has somewhat a difficulty that you cannot control yourself while you play test it, unless if you turn into a cheap bastard and just increase your health while testing it. I didn't think that Revorshkenahl was TOO HARD, but it had some challenges. It really doesn't matter by the sprites either. Shitty or not, at least they have some originality and creativity. I don't mind seeing the original cavestory sprites in there either. It's not like it's the end of the world. And isn't modding all about doing whatever you want and having fun? It's not like he is restricted from doing what he wishes to do when he mods. I don't think he was really striving for perfection, GIR. Plus, he's done with this mod. So I don't see a point from criticizing it to death when Cheese is done working on this. [/WallOfText]

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

quick to the battlements

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Tronlet said:

Hey hey now, I made an easy version. And yea you should play through this :). Not just to sympathize with me, but to see what was good in this mod (I did like the first half or so, the next parts were good but they were just too hard I felt).

Vercci said:
Well, when the creator of wtf story says it's hard.... :D

Although personally, I never found wtf story to be hard so much as annoying.

Don't know why I'm quoting this but ty anyways.

Ralren said:
Exactly. I also think that what he said is hypocrisy. If he can swish through his mod quickly, then he shouldn't have a problem playing through this one. Regardless if you made it yourself or not, it still has somewhat a difficulty that you cannot control yourself while you play test it, unless if you turn into a cheap bastard and just increase your health while testing it. I didn't think that Revorshkenahl was TOO HARD, but it had some challenges. It really doesn't matter by the sprites either. Shitty or not, at least they have some originality and creativity. I don't mind seeing the original cavestory sprites in there either. It's not like it's the end of the world. And isn't modding all about doing whatever you want and having fun? It's not like he is restricted from doing what he wishes to do when he mods. I don't think he was really striving for perfection, GIR. Plus, he's done with this mod. So I don't see a point from criticizing it to death when Cheese is done working on this. [/WallOfText]

Well I can swish through my mod easily mainly because I made it and I know it like the back of my hand. I give it to alpha testers though and they normally make the final call on how hard something is. Yea the sprites did have originality, but I'd prefer for them to be done better, and I'm allowed to have an opinion on that.

You seem to think I'm telling him what to do, when really they are just STRONG SUGGESTIONS (please make it easier cheese?). And even if he's done he could fix up some things and such, just 'cuz he's done doesn't mean he can't change it.

And am I *really* criticizing it to death? I don't think I am. I'm just giving feedback so he can improve upon it. (Plus he might take these things into consideration

I think you're missing the point of criticism though Ralren. And did you beat this mod yet? (if you did, good job. And if you did can you seriously still not beat mine?!? It's like a paradox)

But yeah point of the matter is cheese I just have a bit of an issue with the difficulty. You're grown up, so you know for yourself that you don't have to change it if you don't want to :D. But I'd appreciate it if you did.

Oh and I think that sandcroc thing at the boss thing at the top of that great unknown area is a dick move. That was mean D: .

Looking at my first post, it was a bit harsh, but I stand by what I said. I was still pretty furious from the tundra and that sand croc thing when I wrote it though. It's still a pretty good mod despite the bashing I gave it.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:50 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I think The Great Unknown is still impossible without Rage.

I also don't have a copy of the music from the last area, and I can't remember where Morbidium plays >_>

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM
graters gonna grate
DoubleThink said:
I think The Great Unknown is still impossible without Rage.
I know for a fact it's not. I've done every part of Great Unknown without the Rage without taking damage. The trick is that you have to use many short blasts of the Booster instead of one long one. Just like at the very beginning of Sacred Ground when you had to boost over those spikes but use only a very little amount of Booster so that you can still reach the safe platform without taking any damage.

DoubleThink said:
I also don't have a copy of the music from the last area, and I can't remember where Morbidium plays >_>
I uploaded all of the music to the "show off your orgs" thread; I think it's one of the more recent posts. Or if you want the Great Unknown music, open the exe in resource hacker and extract LASTCAVE. Morbidium plays when you're fighting the Demon Parents (Sisters).

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
And even if he's done he could fix up some things and such, just 'cuz he's done doesn't mean he can't change it.

And am I *really* criticizing it to death? I don't think I am. I'm just giving feedback so he can improve upon it. (Plus he might take these things into consideration
I don't really plan on working on this mod anymore, at least not any time in the near future, and probably not ever. I'll admit that the quality of this mod is not what it could have been, but when a project of this size gets this much progress, I find it's better to just start something new (in this case, my Christmas mod, The Paradise Project, and the version of TWoR that's not a Cave Story mod) than to try to patch up what you already have.

As far as difficulty, I don't really think this mod is harder than WTF Story (and based on what other people are saying, the two are comparable as far as difficulty). I will admit that you were a bit more generous with savepoints than I was, though. I would say that on average the two mods have about the same difficulty, but mine has a much steeper difficulty curve, while yours was more uniform throughout. This is more just a matter of personal preference; one isn't necessarily better than the other. I tend to prefer games that start off really really easy and end really really hard. If you don't, that's fine, but it doesn't mean that my mod is too hard. And yes the end of Great Unknown was kinda mean, but the way I see it, it's kinda like in Sacred Ground when you've gone all the way through Hell without any savepoints, beaten Ballos' first form and you're like "that seemed too easy" and then suddenly this giant Ballos head falls out of nowhere and crushes you and you die and then you're just that much more motivated to win.

Ralren said:
Exactly. I also think that what he said is hypocrisy. If he can swish through his mod quickly, then he shouldn't have a problem playing through this one. Regardless if you made it yourself or not, it still has somewhat a difficulty that you cannot control yourself while you play test it, unless if you turn into a cheap bastard and just increase your health while testing it. I didn't think that Revorshkenahl was TOO HARD, but it had some challenges.
Basically what I thought.

Ralren said:
It really doesn't matter by the sprites either. Shitty or not, at least they have some originality and creativity. I don't mind seeing the original cavestory sprites in there either. It's not like it's the end of the world.
Well, I'll admit, I would have been happier with somewhat better sprites. While I'm not a great artist, I'm not a bad artist either, and I think the somewhat less-than-great graphics of this mod were more due to lack of experience than lack of talent. Some of my graphics for my upcoming Christmas mod are already significantly better than those of TWoR (though I still can't make facepics to save my life :p I've found a facemaker which I'll probably use for The Paradise Project, though I don't think it'd really fit well for the Christmas mod).

Ralren said:
And isn't modding all about doing whatever you want and having fun? It's not like he is restricted from doing what he wishes to do when he mods. I don't think he was really striving for perfection, GIR.
Well, to an extent yes modding is about doing what you want/having fun, though typically striving for perfection or at least decent quality is something that comes along with doing what you want/having fun. This is true of basically any art form (and modding includes multiple art forms such as graphics, storyline, music, level design). While Gir was maybe being a bit harsh in his earlier post, he has points which are worth listening to, even if I disagree with them (as I do with some, and don't with others).

To an extent, I was striving for perfection, but part of the problem was that I was striving more for completion than for perfection. I was somewhat frustrated by the lack of completed mods on the forums, so I was a bit hasty in making the mod, which somewhat compromised the quality. In the future this will probably be less so. The Christmas mod is sort of a novelty, so I'm not too concerned with striving for perfection there. But for The Paradise Project, I will be striving for perfection, and I won't settle for anything mediocre. I've already accomplished my initial goal of finishing a non-trivial Cave Story mod (which is more than any other forum member can honestly say), so I'm no longer all that concerned with speed. It may be years before TPP is finished. The only promise I'm making is that it will be finished before Jan 1, 2020 (though it will probably be finished long before then).

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'm sure you've been asked before but,
how did you come up with the name for it?

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM
graters gonna grate
Eh, I just thought it sounded sinister I guess...

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
its guardian*

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM
Pirate Member
This mod isn't too hard, it's just annoying as hell. All the bosses were "cleverly" redrawn. As much as a dragon replacing balrog's frog form and toroko's enraged form is amusing, the hitboxes got sorta messed up and it's pretty fucking annoying when there's no save spot before a boss fight, so you just gotta redo the whole level...with 15 HP. I don't know, maybe I went there too early but hey, the other alternative was to fight monster X and try to avoid spikes with the ability of not having a jetpack or anything else.

Also sorry for the bump.