Mod: The Wrath of Revorshkenahl

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
A good idea, but you also need to take into account that some people might wanna do a min HP run, and this would make that impossible. It's probably easier just to put a sign up warning people not to use Rage in the fight.
Well, I already implemented that idea, plus it will be just one more thing to make a min HP run more challenging.

DoubleThink said:
In the first part of the first area of the LoE, there are a number of large 2x2 blocks above and a flat path below. There's no point in jumping across the blocks because it's easier to just head beneath them, so I have to wonder what their purpose is other than to maybe block enemy projectiles and provide some cover.
Oh, right, part of the reason was to provide shelter from projectiles. There were two other reasons, one being that it makes it much easier to kill the high-flying dragons, and the other was to make it more interesting (It's kinda boring to just have a flat landscape with nothing but a bunch of enemies).

DoubleThink said:
Er, I would do it myself but I seem to remember something about not being able to use Sue's Workshop after editing in new music or something. If I can then that's cool.
I'm pretty sure that SW bug only stops you from saving changes made to the *.exe. You should still be able to edit maps/scripts. I seem to recall making changes to a mod with edited music using SW.

Brickman said:
You said you wanted to "punish" people who killed Magma X too early. Why? First of all, there's not nearly enough indication of what is the right or wrong order for completing parts of this game, even though there is a specific order you have to do it (desert, then kitchen, then castle, then go to D Fist), so punishing people for guessing wrong seems silly unless you specifically put a sign in warning them not to do this part yet. Second, having to fight Monster X with crappy weapons rather than the knife and a machinegun edit is implicit punishment, and is all the punishment you should need. Third, why punish the player for doing something difficult and impressive? And anyways, making rooms where it's impossible not to take damage looks sloppy.
Good point. Maybe I should make the lava evaporate after defeating Magma X, and then only come back when you reenter the passage. Then I could also remove one of the blocks on the left side of the passage, so it's impossible to get to DFist without the lvl3 Rage. This would prevent people from screwing themselves over by going to DFist without the lvl3 Rage, and then being forced to turn around and go through a monster infested passage and being forced to take damage in the lava.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
That sounds like a very elegant solution to the lava. Better than any I was gonna suggest. Especially since I remember feeling ripped off when I discovered, upon returning after being turned away the first time, that apparently conquering Dragzlefire's Kitchen and defeating a dragon wasn't enough "Proof of my worth", which wouldn't happen if I'd already done that by the first time I could reach him. I'd also, by the way, recommend sticking SOME hint in there that you should go to Mortano's castle, and which way it is. And while you're at it, stick in some hint that you need to do the desert before the mountain, as the way it currently is set up actually suggests the exact opposite to the player (in fact, I mostly only did the desert first out of spite, figuring that I must be practically sequence-breaking to do such an area as that immediately after the gentle forest). After all, the DF guy says "Before you head off the the west you should see my brother to the east first, he'll teach you some spells", which implies that you're then supposed to go west.

Free exploration is great, but when there's only one path that advances the plot, there should be some hints pointing along it, even if you're able to ignore them temporarily.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM
graters gonna grate
Brickman said:
I'd also, by the way, recommend sticking SOME hint in there that you should go to Mortano's castle

DT already suggested that, and I already put it in the to-do list.

Brickman said:
And while you're at it, stick in some hint that you need to do the desert before the mountain, as the way it currently is set up actually suggests the exact opposite to the player

To-do listed

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM
graters gonna grate
Ok, to give the player a hint to go to desert before mountains, what if, after the forest gaurdian boss fight, I simply didn't make the large 2x2 block to the left of the battle arena disappear? Or should it be something more subtle?

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
wedge of cheese said:
Ok, to give the player a hint to go to desert before mountains, what if, after the forest gaurdian boss fight, I simply didn't make the large 2x2 block to the left of the battle arena disappear? Or should it be something more subtle?

more subetle lke east wind blows against you :)

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm thinking just change the dialogue so that rather than saying "Hey, you should see my brother before going to the mountains" he says "Hey, you should go see my brother and then maybe check out the area to the east of there". Let the player go whichever way he wants, but don't have the NPC tell him the wrong order.

Though on the other hand, something that did outright stop you from doing the mountain before the desert would still be ok. I don't think anyone would be upset, and it'd definitely stop "What am I supposed to do first/I can't do anything to advance the plot anywhere" confusion.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yes! My postcount surpasses yours, cheesy!
em, right, uh, let the Wrath of Refereedoodle live on!

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:28 AM
graters gonna grate
Umm... I'm pretty sure your post count surpassed mine a while ago (your join date is Jan 2008, while mine is Jul

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:40 AM
and I'm also pretty sure that I didn't post for five months, plus, you post in all of the more inane threads. okay, first post August 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM. July is before august, you posted before me, I'm a better poster. Ha.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM
graters gonna grate
Good for you. Now back to TWoR...

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:09 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
wedge of cheese said:
Sounds fine to me, since there's no real point in letting them head back that way anyway. You could add in some text saying "Oh no now I'm trapped" or whatever, but remember that if you exit the screen and go back the block will be gone unless you fix that too.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM
graters gonna grate
Meh, I think I'm going to do something more subtle than putting a block there anyway.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Surprise Green Dragon?

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
If you die in the Forest in the beginning, you have to go through the credits again... It's seriously not fun...

Edit: You also spawn in all the rooms that appear.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM
grr... I posted on this and then it didn't register my post, so:
fire, what do you mean by your second bug? also, there is a save point in the first room.
cheesy, add an automatic save after the credits in the beginning, it would stink to go through the credits again.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
All of the different screens in the credits spawn your character on the left side. He just falls continuously on most of them. The one with the monster sprites will shove him all over the place, too.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM
graters gonna grate
lolwut? never noticed that before.

@Lace: to-do listed, that should also fix the bug that fire mentioned.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM
graters gonna grate
Sorry, no update yet, so don't get excited that I'm posting :(. Don't worry though, I'm still working diligently (more or less) on this mod, and I'm hoping that the next release will be the first beta release (meaning everything is finished but there's still room for subtle or maybe even not so subtle changes).

Anyway, the purpose of this post is that there's a piece of music related to TWoR that I wrote, and I've wanted to show you guys for a while. It's called the Concerto of Creation. At the time that I named it that, I didn't really know what a concerto was, and I now realize that it's not a concerto at all, but I don't know what else to call it, so I'll stick with the current title for now xP. It consists of four movements, each approximately 10-15 minutes long. The first three are each about one of the three gods, and the fourth is about the Altar of Destiny. All four of the movements started off as piano improvisations (with the exception of the second movement, which has the occasional clarinet and/or flute melody over the piano), and I am currently in the process of notating them. Until recently when I went to visit my dad and record the Concerto of Creation, all I had were MIDI recordings, which really don't do the concerto justice, but now I have mp3 recordings of each movement which I think are worthy of showing to y'all.

A few notes about each movement:

1st movement -- Dragzeloid
This movement is the most elegant of the four, representing the beauty of nature and the simple yet powerful force of evolution. In this movement, there is a melodic theme which is basically omnipresent throughout the piece. It undergoes many variations as the song becomes more and more complex, which represents evolution in which species grow and change over time, and the natural world becomes more complex.

2nd movement -- Solagicove
One of the storyline details that shows up in the "full version" of TWoR, but not in the CS mod version, is the significance of true love. It is referred to as "the great power of individuals", and was created by Solagicove to moderate unhealthy/immoral sexual behavior. This movement represents true love by having two recurring melodies, played by clarinet and flute, which play separately and in a minor key in the first half of the piece, and play together and in a major key in the seconds half of the piece. The emotions and uniqueness of each individual are also captured in this movement, making it the most emotional of the four.

3rd movement -- Revorshkenahl
This movement starts off with a steady bass rhythm that continues for a long time underneath changing chords and melody and comes back later in the piece. This represents society's rigidity. Later, there is a very dissonant/powerful section which represents the chaos and violence that often ensues as a result of mob mentality. There is also a section where the theme in the treble repeats over and over while the bass alternates between dissonance and consonance with the treble. This represents the fact that sometimes society and individual fit together well, but sometimes they don't.

4th movement -- Altar of Destiny
This is probably my personal favorite of the four movements, because it combines the strengths of the other three. It has the elegance of Dragzeloid, the passion of Solagicove, and the power of Revorshkenahl. Also, themes from each of the other three movements show up briefly in this one, but it is quite subtle and easily missed.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Might as well mention this BEFORE the next update gets posted...
I fixed up the map in Sue's a longish while ago and went and fought the Sisters. Took me a few tries to get to them, but then when I did I ran into what was probably the easiest Sisters fight I've ever done. With a Lv3 Spirit Core it's possible to just sit in one of the lower corners and spam fire towards the middle and you'll never get hit, not even from behind because the weapon naturally attacks from behind you slightly. The music (while awesome) also seemed way out of place, especially since it's called "Final Boss" >_>;

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:11 AM
graters gonna grate
I tried doing what you described but I wasn't able to. Could you maybe take a screenshot?

Also, about the music, I think make an entirely new song for the Demon Parents boss fight, as well as some more new songs that I wasn't originally going to include. I'm actually considering making this mod 100% custom music seeing as how the songs I've made for it so far have gotten so much positive feedback.