A few questions about Cave Story projects...

May 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
"Given that you aren't made to run a marathon to get from the tower to the "edge" of the island"
Well you kind of do ;) [if not going to hell ;)]

", I could see the spire on the left being the tower the last battles are in."
That's definitely what I thought at first; but if that's so, there isn't much order or at least proportion to where the places should go. The island would be way too small... I'll make a GOOD [good as in not laughable! lol] graphic to illustrate what I'm thinking...

" However, if the island was created to seal Ballos away, wouldn't he be closer to the center of the island, rather than over towards the edge?"'
You might assume that, but remember just before the Seal Chamber was an outside area; ... so at least depth wise I wouldn't say it is close to the center. [The Core Base on the other hand probably would be....]

EDIT: Oh and according to my map he'd be somewhere under the tower/castle [demon crown area]; makes sense that he'd be sealed within the very place he brought ruin to [using my theory]

The real problem here is Pixel didn't make enough pixels! [... lol sorry lame joke], I'm going to make that graphic now, but I am tempted to take the easy route since basing everything on the mini picture of the island, is probably a bad idea. It does give me a general idea though!
I'll edit this in a bit with a hopefully worthy graphic
EDIT:
Okay here's what the pieced together areas look somewhat like to scale; although it would need to be rotated 90 degrees
puzzle1.jpg

May 3, 2006 at 12:46 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I sent you a private message. Check your control panel.

May 8, 2006 at 11:32 PM
Indie game enthusiast
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/3197/

Made a monster post in that thread; it's relevant here as well~ So including a link :p

Mmmmm oh and one more thing, I wonder if Misery is really a good person? Seems like people like her, but; I have a feeling she didn't have the most noble intentions when asking for the demon crown to be made... Well that's speculation but what we do know; Misery had no problem killing, and she seemed to enjoy things like trying to take over the world...

Arguably you could say the Demon Crown made her do it; but recall at the end, she wasn't too pleased to see that her Doctor wasn't dead yet.
And not to mention that Balrog of course didn't want to have anything to do with her lol
Oh and remember Jenka didn't seem to be too concerned for her daughter, "So, you're at it again ?" I'm pretty sure Jenka would have known if her daughter was a good soul pleading to be released... I think Misery could be ambitious enough to try a new scheme if she gets the chance; now that she is free.... .........

EDIT: Well I will give points to Misery for sending Balrog [.... although why didn't she come herself ......... let's think about that for a moment....(teleport in and out or...) Let Balrog go [perhaps aware of the danger awaiting?] Otherwise why would she have sent Balrog to them?

EDITEDIT: ... only explanation I could give for Misery besides the evil one, is the Demon Crown was how she had her powers; or she was still too weak after transforming and being defeat by Quote (although Sue had no problem...) So assuming she was a sorcerer like Jenka and Balrog... I don't think it was the Demon Crown... meaning... Misery is bad to the bone :p :)

EDITEDITEDIT: Oh and has anyone downloaded/tried the soundtrack I uploaded? Sky?

May 9, 2006 at 12:20 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I personally don't think Misery is "evil", but she's immature and she's proud, which is a very troublesome combination. I'd say she sent Balrog instead of coming herself because it would go against the "aloof" image she likes having (note how many other times she had Balrog do the "dirty" work). That sort of pride doesn't equate to bad intentions, but it does lend itself to a lack of good priorities and responsibilities, which fits into the immature part of my assessment.

May 9, 2006 at 5:42 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
X-Calibar said:
This brings up another mystery... the Sky Dragons...

I think that the Sky Dragons were created during the war 10 years ago. The men sent to oversee the invasion got trapped, and used genetic engineering to create the sky dragons as a means of escape.

Do you notice how the entire egg corridor seems kind of out of place with the rest of the island?

May 9, 2006 at 6:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
upthorn said:
I think that the Sky Dragons were created during the war 10 years ago. The men sent to oversee the invasion got trapped, and used genetic engineering to create the sky dragons as a means of escape.

Do you notice how the entire egg corridor seems kind of out of place with the rest of the island?
I think you might be on to something, but I don't think they could have created the Egg Corridor in a short period of time [that's why I think the scientists made progress on it earlier] However, there could be a good chance the Egg Corridor played a role back then too...

Other places that are out of place [probably recently built]; would be the Core area [although it's been drowned], the robot power area in Grasstown! [was grasstown newer perhaps?], mmmmmm, ......... idea! lol Why IS mr robot an expert in explosives? Why is there power, etc there; I don't get the impression the Mimigas are engineers and scientists... Grasstown was probably one of the areas where humans and Mimigas worked together, they probably fought the robots... or tried at least.. [mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm]

The pipes at the plantation; I wonder if the Doctor did that though... oh... lol I'm getting all sorts of ideas now :) [Sandzone]; Thanks upthorn :p

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
This is just an update to let people know this project isn't dead by any means :p Just don't expect it to be released any time soon ;) I'm working off and on; still playing around balancing projects with different games, and real life :) But, I am still jotting down more notes as I reflect on this and as I replay Cave Story; I am beginning to put together the pieces..! [I'm using Pixel's timeline as a development schedule :p 3 years max?] :p

I still want to revisit Chrono Crusade the anime for extra inspiration into how Quote and Curly will act; as well as check out Gunstar Heroes for the who knows inspiration ;)

So just to let you know someday this should be released; and I promise it won't be released unless I think it's a great job ;)
As I complete major parts of the game, such as the soundtrack, art, level design, scripting, weapons I'll inform the community~ But for the most part I'll probably keep pretty quiet ;)

oh, and I need to make sure Cave Story works on Windows Vista...!

Finally, for those who don't know what I'm talking about; I started work on a prequel to CS; the events of the 10 years ago with the previous crown bearer... I'm attempting to keep synomonous with Pixel's style, while adding more of what we love, and keeping as logically accurate with the facts we are given in the original CS, while keeping as interesting, strange and dramatic as the original~! A seemingly light hearted, story with incredible depth; serious and fun, for all ages ~
Inspired by Pixel and this community yahoo~!

Till then...
*Transmission Ended...*

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
X-Calibar said:
Finally, for those who don't know what I'm talking about; I started work on a prequel to CS; the events of the 10 years ago with the previous crown bearer... I'm attempting to keep synomonous with Pixel's style, while adding more of what we love, and keeping as logically accurate with the facts we are given in the original CS, while keeping as interesting, strange and dramatic as the original~! A seemingly light hearted, story with incredible depth; serious and fun, for all ages ~
Inspired by Pixel and this community yahoo~!

Till then...
*Transmission Ended...*

oh noes, I am doing the same!! How unfortunate for me... D:
Perhaps I should move mine back into the past further...

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM
Indie game enthusiast
@f-ram.net - I guess it got moved a while ago :o I started suggesting I was going to create a mod... so the discussion turned into a mod discussion I guess :p :)

@Nator! - Definitely do whatever is best for you :o If you make it... they will play..! Or I definitely will play it! ;)

Since you're already way ahead of me I think in terms of development and I'm basically still somewhere in planning and looking for inspiration [or is it an excuse to try new games and things?!] :p There shouldn't be any competition ;)

I'm pretty sure mine is starting right where Curly points out she remembers: they landed on the island but the island was already in shambles; the robots had already invaded and killed many Mimigas... And ends about where Miakid is finished off and probably will explain somewhat of why or how they end up where they do; Although it's not set in stone yet :) But I'm still trying to work out the details: but that's a pretty accurate timeline!

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:44 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Two Words : Cloud Story

I decided on this name over the holidays :o
Looks like it would be Kumo Monogatari...
I read that Kumo means Cloud (as in the sky)
Monogatari - Story, Legend etc
It'll be my prequel of the 10 years ago event preceeding Cave Story; I'm still developing the universe on paper and imagination though :D [in a couple months it'll be a year since I learnt about Cave Story...] Progress will be random~

I think the title is appropriate, for what I'm intending...!
I thought it would be a better name than Cave Story Zero :p or Cave Story : The War or something...

I'll keep throwing random information here each time you forget about this thread :D
Someday there will be screenshots and art too :p
Let's not rush things :confused:
EDIT: Oh nice! 50th post to this thread :o I like nice round numbers~

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:29 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I approve.
I really like how you're putting so much thought in to planning before you even start work. That's generally the hallmark of a great mod.
When you do get started, let me know. I should be able to help with scripting.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
upthorn said:
I approve.
I really like how you're putting so much thought in to planning before you even start work. That's generally the hallmark of a great mod.
When you do get started, let me know. I should be able to help with scripting.

Oh well, for helpin you can contact me too if you want. For Images, Converting MIDIs, Scripting, Mapping, Hacking nearly everything :D..
Eh much planning? I asked nator about his planning and ideas for the future of the mod and there were MUCH PLANNINGS! I also planned much things before I start my mod :confused: I just not gonna tell you cuz of spoilers. but this mod seem to be have a very big planning time, yes :D

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:52 PM
Indie game enthusiast
If it wasn't for the amount of effort you guys have put into your mods I wouldn't have gotten seriously interested in trying my idea as well :D So as usual, a big :D thank you! to you :confused:

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:07 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
i reckon its gonna be awesome i hope you can get some thing done
by the time of my next school holidays. :D
Have you done anything on it yet or have you just
thought up alot of concepts?

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Right now I just have some images done, a bunch written; mostly in brainstorm/summary format~ Besides modding for other games and RL demands, I'm going to really take this at my own pace [earlier in this topic I said something like Pixel worked on it for what was it 5 years? So I was abiding to that schedule :p 1 year almost down :p]
That and I have about 20 new games to play :p I'll have to manage my schedule :o

But seriously, once I finish laying out what I want to do; things should progress pretty quickly [compared to 5 years :p]

[If someone pays me a million dollars I can devote full time to this :p]

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:04 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
X-Calibar said:
Right now I just have some images done, a bunch written; mostly in brainstorm/summary format~ Besides modding for other games and RL demands, I'm going to really take this at my own pace [earlier in this topic I said something like Pixel worked on it for what was it 5 years? So I was abiding to that schedule :p 1 year almost down :p]
That and I have about 20 new games to play :p I'll have to manage my schedule :o

But seriously, once I finish laying out what I want to do; things should progress pretty quickly [compared to 5 years :p]

[If someone pays me a million dollars I can devote full time to this :p]

heres a million and 1 dollars in fun money

$$$1,000,001

lol

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:08 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
ive been thinking about this but caliber i think some of the mods of cave story have forgotten to have missions in there mods, most of them are just shoot and runs ( even tho i like the shooting ;) ), thats one of the parts of cave story i liked and haven't seen in any mods, apart from nice level designs. :D
try to work that in your mod whenever you decide to start it

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM
Hoxtilicious
xristosx said:
ive been thinking about this but caliber i think some of the mods of cave story have forgotten to have missions in there mods, most of them are just shoot and runs ( even tho i like the shooting ;) ), thats one of the parts of cave story i liked and haven't seen in any mods, apart from nice level designs. :D
try to work that in your mod whenever you decide to start it

Yea, you have a lil mission in my mod; Find other Mimigas and escape from the Air Fortress, but the whole story starts much later :D
Cave Story 2 will have a much bigger story though.